Good Architecture Schools in Scotland

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Good Architecture Schools in Scotland

Postby Po » Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:07 pm

With your new status as a 'senior member', Alan could you advise on good schools of architecture, especially at post-graduate level. How is the Mac viewed these days....?
Any insight to the schools in Scotland would be most useful, from others also.
Po

Postby MK » Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:16 am

Edinburgh College of Art is an excellent school from a conceptual point of study, as is Edinburgh university I believe
MK

Postby BTH » Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:29 am

Dundee Duncan Of Jordanstone College is very highly rated at the moment, particularly the part 1 course with the emphasis on balancing practicality with conceptual thought and theory. Part 2 is in the process of reinventing itself and should be settled by next year's intake. The Sustainable design unit is looking very interesting in particular. What you find as well is that potential employers are quite interested in Dundee Graduates because of the practical grounding that the course gives it's students. I have just left third year and I have to say, going to Dundee was the best decision I have ever made. Its also a nice, progressive little city with a huge Irish population (for some bizarre reason). 60% of my year were from Ireland North and South.
BTH

Postby aland » Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:55 am

Sorry Po, I was in Dublin this weekend (for the Eagles) and did not get your post until this morning. My partner Gordon Murray was part of the G.I.A award panel which visited the Mac and Strathclyde this year. I'll ask him and get back to you. The only problem with Duncan of Jordanstone is you'll have to live in Dundee.
aland

Postby aland » Mon Jul 02, 2001 11:15 am

Po, of the two schools visited, Strathclyde produced the most interesting work at post grad level. However, what is looked for from architects practicing in the real world might not make the best course for students. The Mac has a new Prof, David Porter and he has yet to make his mark. Until he does I cannot advise on the Mac as best school although David McMillan who heads the fourth year is a very talented architect and committed teacher. I would be happy to recommend post grad with him as a tutor. Dundee is a mystery to me and I'm happy to leave it that way. As for Edinburgh, Adrian Welch is the best person to ask. He runs the www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk web site and is very knowledgeable. You can also contact him on adrianwelch@hotmail.com. The GIA will be producing a report on their visit to the Mac and Strathclyde which, with their approval I will post on archforums. The MAC continues to be the best school to recruit from, In my opinion.
aland

Postby niamhg » Tue Jul 03, 2001 9:30 am

I have studied at both the Mac and Strathclyde. The Mac is rather old fashioned in its approach with traditional views, however, as Alan Dunlop mentioned, with the introduction of the new head of school this may change. Strathclyde is very forward thinking and open to radical ideas, their postgrad work was exemplary this year.
niamhg

Re: Good Architecture Schools in Scotland

Postby cromakid » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:57 pm

hi folks. i am an architect working in india aiming for a postgraduate course in the u.k. as of now i have received offers from both the edinburgh college of art (M. Arch. programme) and the University of Edinburgh (MSc AAD programme). i have been trying to find out more about both the programmes but apart from the info supplied on the univs' website and some correspondence with the respective college's admissions advisors, have met with little success. i also hear that the MSc AAD at the university of edinburgh is a new radical programme, just a few years old. .. could somebody pl tell help me out with information as to how this programme is faring and how it compares to the M.Arch. at eca and the ones say at the Bartlett and The university of Nottingham?
cromakid

Return to World Architecture