well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby GrahamH » Thu May 12, 2005 1:59 am

Sorry for thread hijacking but: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby modular man » Thu May 12, 2005 8:17 am

Maybe an obvious place to start (albeit post 52) but here are some links from Murray O laoire Architects Limerick office.

http://www.murrayolaoire.com/news_04/04_01_28/departure_for_limerick.html

http://www.murrayolaoire.com/news_04/04_01_28/maryi_sports.html

This sports building is the first part of an overall masterplan for Mary Immaculate College. It should go to site in summer. Its really quite an interesting looking building.
modular man

Postby dave123 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:44 pm

what an interesting building. it should mix with old the old college well.

any interesting plans in the city centre area? there is rumopurs on the limerickpost that the arthurs quay park is sold for developments ??
dave123

Postby mickeydocs » Thu May 12, 2005 3:49 pm

well i cant't help my self either

The facts from the 2002 census back up EwanKennedy's claim that Cork's greater population is greater than Limerick and Galway combined is correct.

Main Towns
Total Population (including Suburbs or Environs)
Cork 186,239... this does not include Carrigaline, Midleton, Cobh, Passage West, Glanmire, Blarney, Tower (or any other of the satellite towns, although it does include Ballincollig);
Limerick 86,998 (Includes Castletroy, and the suburbs in Co. Clare);
Galway 66,163 (doesn't include Oranmore)

Do your sums

now can you back up that limerick city is wealtheir that cork per capita fact?
how come property prices don't back-up this apparent wealth?

BTW... Ringaskiddy and the Pharmachem region generate in excess of $8 billion per annum alone.

Now I'm off back to the thread that keeps me coming back to this forum :)

And now I feel really childish :)
mickeydocs

Postby jimg » Thu May 12, 2005 4:57 pm

That's not what EwanKennedy claimed. He claimed Galway was bigger than Limerick which I don't think is the case. He also claimed that Cork had a higher economic output than Limerick and Galway combined and thus Limerick couldn't be wealthier than Cork. As I explained earlier, it's not the overall economic output that determines wealth (try telling a Vietnamese that they're wealthier than an Irish person) but output per head. And it is a matter of record (central statistics office) that COUNTY Limerick is wealthier than COUNTY Cork or COUNTY Galway. The CSO doesn't publish income per head on a city basis, so that's the closest we can get to an established "fact".
jimg

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu May 12, 2005 5:31 pm

let... it... go...
d_d_dallas

Postby modular man » Thu May 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Can we change the name of this thread to "Is Limerick bigger and wealthier then Galway", and then start a new one about development in Limerick?
modular man

Postby ewankennedy » Thu May 12, 2005 5:56 pm

Yes please! this is getting so old.

All I'd like to say now is "can we really trust a woman who leaves her feminine ointments next to the mayonaise in the fridge? That was the worst sandwich I ever ate!"

it seems as relevant as any other comment made here. could one of the webmasters maybe fix this???

anyone got a pic of the new Royal bank of scotland building?
ewankennedy

Postby dave123 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:28 pm

Well isn't that lovely for Cork, I'm sure your are right!! :rolleyes: well im not going to argue against Cork ,not to mention that you have have a of much of county Cork covered
hmmm
Not all the suburbs in the CSO are mentioned in the greater limerick area , limerick also spills out past Castletroy to Annacotty and Newport ! which is in Tipperary anyway.
As with Galway,,,oranmore is a good few miles out to be a suburb or about to be one!!!
in that case stop throwing in silly things like adding the towns around the cities , that should not be the case.
Limerick is a lot bigger than the figures and boundary stats tells us , and i'm not going to mention all the towns likewisw ,around it.
Its pointless, Limerick is bigger than Glaway ,fact,no matter if you travel 15 miles out or add up all the areas

As for Cork its the slowest natural growth rate than all the ciies!!!hahaha (in terms of Populatrion)
well i Do know Cork is bigger , you wasted time typing that mickeydocs lol.....
Raheen is in limerick not 15 miles like ringaskiddy !!! which employs nearly 20,000 people ! which has a big output not to mention DELL or analog !!! and so on ........
Limeick is the fastest growing commercial centre outside of the Dublin area ! so i don't care what your opinions are going to actually be.
I'm comfortable sticking to facts, that you guys refuse to believe. ! because you know what the answerwill be I'm beginning to see that you are honest about your childlish behaviour.

As with cheap property prices
The media like to give Limerick a bad name , so obviously that will affect prices.
the city boundary affects the land prices a lot ,
There are very expensive areas in limerick , unfortunatly You dont know it ,
you see Limerick property was doing very well before the celtic boom kicked in and in Limerick and even today there is an oversupply of housing and do on , so that is one reason why its cheaper ,
dave123

Postby BTH » Fri May 13, 2005 1:36 pm

Dave, are you 14 or what? Because your comments really do seem very immature...
BTH

Postby dave123 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:39 pm

no... i think that a lot of people say untrue statements about limerick , information which are facts and it pathetic that they argue it ... thats it
dave123

Postby Mob79 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:57 pm

He's been drinking!
Mob79

Postby anto » Tue May 17, 2005 12:40 am

article from the LImerick Leader. Seems that Limerick city centre is suffering with the new suburban attractions such as cinemas and shopping centres. Surprised to read that there's no cinema in the city cntre now! Is the city's reputation mean that suburbanites and people from the hinterland consider the city centre unsafe and too much hassle to find parking etc?

Anyway here's the article.................................

City's facelift gives us
reason to smile

LIMERICK'S skyline has changed dramatically over the past 10 years through renewal encouraged by tax incentives. CLODAGH O'LEARY looks at what this facelift has done to the city

Changing image: cranes dominate the Limerick skyline - Limerick Leader. Irish Newspaper for Limerick and the mid-west of Ireland
Changing image: cranes dominate the Limerick skyline

IN the past 10 years, Limerick has undergone a €1bn facelift. From the skyscraping developments to the greatly improved infrastructure, Limerick has become a truly modern city.

The provision of tax incentives has led to numerous developments on Limerick's docklands, Howley's Quay and Harvey's Quay.

And currently, 10 per cent of the country's construction output takes place in the Mid-West. In total, about €1.2bn has been spent in developing the city in the last 10 years.

Conor O'Connell, secretary of the Mid-West branch of the Construction Industry Federation said that Limerick had been transformed by the level of investment in the city.

"A huge amount of construction work has been done in the city over the past 10 years, more so than other regional cities, with huge investment by developers and business people," he said.

"Of all cities in the country, Limerick has benefited most from tax incentives under Section 23 and Section 50," said Mr O'Connell.

The deadline for the completion of projects under the current tax allowance system is July 2006.

Fionagh Ryan, chairwoman of the Limerick City Business Association said that in order for the city to thrive, investment and development must continue.

"A strong thriving regime would not be possible without new development. As a city we need all of those developments so that we can be on par with Cork and Galway.

"The city must differentiate itself. People have to have civic pride, and businesses will have to keep their premises up to speed. People in Limerick need to use the services in the city," she said.

Pat Daly of Shannon Development said that Limerick city's regeneration had become the example for how well the tax allowance scheme had worked.

"The tax incentives were piloted in Limerick in a project between Shannon Development and City Council. In fact, the first project in the country was in The Granary, where Shannon Development's offices are based. A lot of those projects are based on this model," he said.

Mr Daly said that the scale of investment had allowed for the city to embrace one of its strong points - the river.

"The level of investment has absolutely changed the streetscape in the city and has brought people back to the city," he said.

But with the progress, there have been some losses.

The question of whether the city centre is in decline is one which has been hotly debated, particularly with the development of sites at the Parkway, Castletroy, the new Childer's Road development, as well as the Crescent Shopping Centre.

"Everyone is aware that we need a buck-up in the city centre. We need the plans to be positive for the city. As it is, there is a lot going on here, we have everything from UL to theatre, the city is really changing," said Ms Ryan.

But Limerick is the only city in Ireland without a cinema in its city centre. The Savoy closed its doors in 2004.

City movie-goers must travel to the Omniplex in Dooradoyle; Storm cinemas in Castletroy will open next weekend.

"We need to improve the cultural aspect more in the city centre, particularly a cinema, but we need developers to come in to the city for that," she said.

But where will the city go from here?

"To a degree, I would like to see a little more of the same. I would like to see the plans of the Riverside City to complete development onto the Riverside. And the plans being talked about to pedestrianise certain streets in the city centre will bring people back into the city. These are two clear aspects of the city's core plan for the future," said Mr Daly.

"In another 10 years, I would like to see the city continuing in a positive light, that people originally from Limerick will want to return to the city like I did. I had been living in Dublin for seven years. The quality of life on this side of the country is much better. There are good reasons to return here," said Ms Ryan.

Next Item ...Peel

News | Sport | Farming | Features | Front Page | Search | Feedback

Current Issue

Copyright © 2005 The Limerick Leader.
anto

Postby dave123 » Thu May 19, 2005 2:01 pm

Weekly Stories from the Print Edition Thu, 19/05/05

Development promised for derelict city street

FOLLOWING last week’s article highlighting local business people’s concerns over the under-utilisation of the Sarsfield Street Dunnes-owned shopping centre and the complete lack of use of an entire row of units by Roches Stores on Liddy Street, Roche’s Stores has said that they are applying for retention of the warehouses in Liddy Street because they are, contrary to local reports, using the buildings for storage. And they’ve promised to improve the appearance of the buildings. According to Mayor Michael Hourigan, the street looks "derelict”.

The spokesperson for Roches Stores told the Limerick Post this week that when the department store applied for ongoing planning permission, they had submitted " a major overall development plan for the buildings which is ongoing”.

The spokesperson said that this development plan is taking "slightly longer” than they had anticipated.

"We are looking at a development plan for that whole area, but it is ongoing. In the meantime we will be looking to see if there is anything we can do to improve the appearance of the buildings,” he said.

Despite repeated contacts with Dunnes Stores, no comment was issued.

Last week the owner of Harry’s coffee shop in the Dunnes centre complained that half of the units are empty and have been so for the last five years. He accused Dunnes Stores of having no interest in promoting them and that business in the centre is "very quiet”.

information i got out of the limerickpost.
dave123

Postby jimg » Thu May 19, 2005 3:15 pm

I dunno why Dunnes has a store there at all now that they've a big new store 100 yards away on Henry St. That shopping centre has been dead for years and is horrible. The sooner the wrecking ball flattens it the better. That site needs a dramatic (at least five stories) and beautiful building to mark that side of that "entrance" into Limerick.

Here is a old photograph of Sarsfield's Bridge when it was new. If you don't know Limerick the offending shoping center takes up the corner block on the left at the far end of the bridge.
jimg

Postby dave123 » Fri May 20, 2005 1:43 pm

its a real eyesore for sarfields street, as you said that it is an important entrance as its a major bridging point etc... Dunnes stores should be shot for letting there premises turn into a heap of crap! its need to be buildozed.

it would be very interesting to see if a skyscraper would be built there with interesting arcitectre , it would realy fitt in nice to the othe high rise buildings overlooking the shannon and make a real urban quarter as you cross over the shannon from any of the bridges! it would put limerick on top !
dave123

Postby Mob79 » Fri May 20, 2005 2:58 pm

Somebody would pipe up about it's proximity to the castle i'm sure. Any other highrise planned bar the 2 existing?
Mob79

Postby jimg » Fri May 20, 2005 3:12 pm

I don't think I'd like a very high building there. I think it would be better to have some symmetry in terms of height with the newish hotel or whatever it is across the road. This would provide two "pillars" flanking the start of the city at the end of the bridge and also would work better with the vista up William St (or is it Thomas St - I can never remember). Unfortunately the newish building across the road, while far better than the shopping centre, isn't all that impressive being a bland and boring lowish red-brick if I recall correctly.

I forgot to say that Sarsfield's Bridge is one of my favourites in the country. It's length makes it more impressive than any in Dublin and the proportions and detailing are super.
jimg

Postby dave123 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:21 am

dave123]Limerick needs to be seen and recogniesed as ireland's third city ! its a beautiful city with the majestic shannon flows through the old english town and the splendid georgian town. there is a lot of bad press about limerick been an rough and derelict city . its as safe as any other city in ireland if not safer!The city is really changing with its bold new designs and high rise buildings at the limerick doclands .

Anybody that has not been in Limerick latley there is to high rise building been built at spaights courner and are 15 storeys and 12 storeys high , looks quite cool !!! its opposite that clarion hotel and really overlooks and enhances the area.

Please keep new developments and news posted!!!!!

the riverpoint building is really coming on well! the building is really fantastic , on such a nice spot to.

there is a new development on steamboat quay of luxurios apartments etc... has anybody have any idea of what it will look like and any photos either?

i read an article on the limerickpost on the roches stores site on liddy street and the oold dunnes will they ever closes the dunnes on sarfields street is totoally pointless to have a crappy old shop just barley up the road from the new one, is it not common sense in the first place ?????

heres an article on pedestrianisation i read from limerickpost....

Pedestrianisation of lanes for the summer

A NUMBER of the city centre’s streets will undergo a process of temporary pedestrianisation for the summer season to acclimatise the public and the business sector to the impact such a development will bring about.

City councillors have been advised by John Breen, director of Transportation and Infrastructure that in order to highlight an awareness of the benefits of pedestrianisation, Little Catherine Street, Augustinian Lane and the area of O’Connell Street in front of Penneys Store will be pedestrianised for the summer season.

"The scheme will involve the closing of streets to through traffic, the installation of planted features and a general upgrade of the area but full business access for deliveries will be facilitated,” said Mr Breen.

He stressed that "extensive consultation” with business owners is taking place.

"It is hoped that such an initiative will be welcomed by business owners and that they will be a necessary party to its successful implementation,” he said.

Reacting enthusiastically to the scheme, Deirdre Martin, proprietor of Mickey Martin’s pub in Augustinian Lane said there is a unanimous welcome from the 10 business owners directly involved.

"We had two meetings recently and the response from all of the owner occupiers is a very positive one - there is absolutely no opposition to the scheme which will provide a wonderful showcase for how attractive successful pedestrianisation will be. The Council will put in trees and planters and bollards, one under the arch at the Catherine Street entrance and another at the Thomas Street entrance to the lane,” she said.

"I would eventually love to see this and other laneways cobbled, painted and with canopies and lights. Compared to Dublin, Cork, Galway and even Tralee, they are yards ahead of us on this but I’m very optimistic that the Summer Season Street Enhancement Scheme will prove a great success and lead on to a very attractive pedestrianisation scheme for the city centre.”
dave123

Postby Boyler » Sat May 28, 2005 6:33 pm

I think Limerick looks nice. And just because a city may have a bad reputation, it doesn't mean that a person can't visit and admire it. Does anyone have pictures of the docklands in Limerick? Thanks in advance.
Boyler

Postby Tuborg » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:07 am

Im fairly new to this site but i've been reading it with interest for a good while and what struck me was the general lack of any news of all the potentially exciting developments that are planned for limerick,i suppose this isnt surprising considering some of the attitudes undoubtedly held by people on this site,unsurprisingly the majority of these people are probably from our "great" capital city. People seem to immediately dismiss any exciting plans for limerick,i see cork is benefiting from lots of coverage,fair play to lexington,obviously a man that cares passionately about his city,i think its about time limerick got in on the act,it really is coming along quite nicely,there are a large number of proposals on the table,ill just guide you through a few of them:

The riverfront is the area that has probably recieved the most attention over the last 10 years with developments such as steamboat quay,jurys inn,the harveys and howleys quay developments and more recently the riverpoint development which will finally rid us of the horrific munchins house,(apparently one of the 1st purpose built office blocks in the country in the 60s),I've added a few pics of the general docklands area,the shannon foynes port authority recently launched the docklands masterplan "The development will be phased over a number of years so that the capacity of the working Docks will not be impaired over the short to medium term at least. The Docklands Initiative is expected to include residential, commercial, hotel and other projects",the overall capital value is around €1 Billion,the full text is here in pdf format, http://www.sfpc.ie/extracts.pdf

Just across the dock road the old limerick racecourse at greenpark is finally ready for development

Planning permission for the development of a mixed use scheme at the fromer Greenpark Racecourse. The proposed development will consist of a retail scheme with a total retail gross floor area of 30881 sq.m incorporation a supermarket (gross floor area 4800 sq.m), two anchor comparison units and a further 39 no. additional retail units. In addition, a food court of 3496 sq.m is proposed at first floor level comprising of 8 no. individual units and management area at second floor level. The application also includes parking at surface and semi-basement levels for 1862 vehicles including staff parking; ancillary site development works; hard and soft landscaping; access roads; service access; service yards and ancillary site works. The application also includes the provision of a major recreation amentity area incorporating playing pitches, (1 full size soccer pitch, 10 no. 5-a-side pitches and 4 no. tennis courts), changing facilities, a playground and landscaping

There are also plans for over a thousand new homes and a web of walkways etc,i think the old finishing straight of the racecourse is to be retained and there are also to be a memorial of the popes visit and a commemorative plaque for john traceys world championship win.

In the city centre the savoy cinema is finally about to be torn down and replaced with a 100 bed hotel,restaurants,leisure centre and 14 retail units fronting onto bedford row which is being pedestrianised within the next few weeks "for the redevelopment of a site of 0.3287 hectares, approximately, indentified primarily as: the Savoy Cinema Complex, Henry Street/Bedford Row; Bedford House, Bedford Row; Nos 2-7 Bedford Row: and the premises running from the rear of No.122 O'Connell Street (parallel with the rear of Nos. 1-9 Bedford Row), Limerick. The development will consist of the demolition of all existing structures on site and the construction of a five to part - ten (including roof top plant) storey over basement building, providing a mixed use scheme comprising: 95 no. residential apartments (some terraced, some with balconies) (7910 sqm (50 no. one-bedroom apartments; 37 no. two bed apartments; and 8 no. three-bed apartments)); 14 no. retail units (5753sqm located from basement to second floor level); and a 100 bedroom hotel,on the opposite side of bedford row the original savoy theatre is being restored to its former glory to house 3 retail units ,the royal george site is also undergoing redevelopment with a 4 star hotel and department store(probably marks & spencer) being built,the old jurys hotel on the ennis road is also being demolished next week to make way for a 12 storey development consisting of a 5 star hotel and 90 apartments,further out that road there are plans for 2 more hotels on the o meara motors site and near coonagh cross,uncertainty still surrounds the site of the ardhu hotel,construction seems to have stopped,patrick punchs pub at punches cross was also demolished lately to be replaced by a new hotel,hopefully the pub will reappear somewhere in the development.the clarion recently announced that as its enjoying 90% occupancy rates its going to convert the top 3 floors from apartments to bedrooms,work is also to start soon on a new hotel on the site of the top filling statio on the dock road,yet another hotel has started on the childers road beside the limerick enterprise park,strange place for a hotel if you ask me.

At the other side of town permission is expected shortly for the biggest shopping centre outside of dublin,on the lines of the dundrum centre and mahon point, to be known as parkway valley,iv seen the drawings and they look quite interesting,due to the topography of the site,it will consist of a number of differing elevations,i think around 60 units plus 10 screen cinema,leisure centre,office and business park and public park,looks like the parkway r/bout could become an even bigger problem,although sliproads to be tunnelled under the old N7 are to be constructed as part of the plan,a similar complex,although slightly smaller is planned for coonagh cross,this sounds like overkill to me,if you consider that a revamped jetland centre is scheduled to open in september across from the gaelic grounds with 35 retail units,proposed cinema,an 8 unit retail park and a motor park,added to existing parks such as the parkway retail park,childers,the new city east(the biggest yet) to open in august and two more in the pipeline for the same area,its all getting a bit ridicoulous,im not a fan of retail parks at all,the cresscent sc is also being extended at the moment,the city centre has to meet these challenges head on,limerick city council could help matters by putting arthurs quay park up for sale,what a disaster that has been,if dunnes stores and roches stores werent so stubborn,a great new city centre quarter could be created.
Tuborg

Postby Tuborg » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:17 am

Just a few photos of the waterfront for those of you who wanted them,they were included in the 1st post but went missing for some reason
Attachments
limerick night.jpg
limerick night.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
steamboatquay.jpg
steamboatquay.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
riverpoint2.jpg
riverpoint2.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
riverpoint.jpg
riverpoint.jpg (45.8 KiB) Viewed 5764 times
Tuborg

Postby corcaighboy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:05 am

Tuborg - Thanks for posting the photos. I must say I like the Clarion. Limerick has a lot to offer, and can always learn from the mistakes made elsewhere when it comes to planning. Like any city in Ireland, the suburbs are pretty dull and monotonous, but the city center certainly has much to offer.
corcaighboy

Postby dave123 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:48 pm

wow, there is a lot retail development happining, im not a big fan of retail parks but i think there are well planned, as there are not just popping up everywhere because they are really centred around ballysimon and parkway where there is a lot of infastructure and its a commercial core of the eastside of the city .I woiuld have no problem with the retail parks going ahead as long as there is counterbalance in the city centre as well, Dunnes and Roches need a good kick up the a***

There is plans for trainstop for the parkway when all the development takes place there, (rumoured)
The Parkway roundabout is a deathtrap!! when the shopping centre goes ahead it will have to be ripped apart. and build some kind of interchange , even though it might be the impossible !

will Limerick city centre have a cinema in the future , as the savoy is up for other development? Henry street will be very grand once the Savoy centre is developed , it wil be a hive of activity.
also the Castletroy cinema opened recently....

There is a fantastic picture on the front page of the limerickpost if anyone want to see it (i can't post it sorry}
it will be open within weeks , and will have a thousands people living and working there!

around of appluase for Turbog!
dave123

Postby Tuborg » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:03 pm

Not sure about a cinema dave,the savoy were running 2 screens in the old central across the street from the savoy,but thtats either closed or closing now because a developer has bought that site,its going to be converted into retail units,the facade is coming off,i think theres an earlier facade behind it,spposed to be fairly ornate and i think thats being restored,it is a shame that the city centre is without a cinema,i think galway dosent have a city centre cinema either,apparently theres one planned for the jetland on the ennis road,but thats not much good,if arthurs quay park is ever developed,probably into a large shopping centre,id like to see something done with the existing arthurs quay centre,they could have made a lot more out of such an important city centre site.As for the parkway, i think when parkway valley goes ahead,there is rumours that the original parkway sc will be torn down and replaced with either a bus or train terminal,i know colbert station isnt ideal,but i dont think iarnrod eireann would sanction such a move,we'll probably be waiting for any improvements to the parkway r/bout aswell,i dont there is there is the ambition or foresight in this country to come up with a proper plan to grade separate this junction,look at the disappointing proposal they've come up with for the kinsale r/bout in cork!..
Tuborg

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland