well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Postby lexington » Mon May 09, 2005 2:10 pm

dave123 wrote:i posted it .
the information about third wealtiest place in ireland , foud it out on the http://www.cso.ie \and the environment edior of the irish times printed an article of the regional cities of ireland a few months back and stated that after dublin and kildare its the wealtiest per capita ..... well hope that ans your question.

Statistics can be used to prove anything - 45% of all people know that! :D
lexington
Old Master

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon May 09, 2005 3:35 pm

CSO figures - What difference do they make? Despite that statistic, the perception of the place is still quite poor, and Limerick certainly does not give off an air of a place with such apparent wealth. I think Limerick has made tremendous efforts to change, however I get the feeling that just because there's development it is being championed irrespective of quality. Must. Try. Harder.
d_d_dallas

Postby jimg » Mon May 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Yes, this thread is going a bit off track but dave123 is correct; the CSO figures were analysed extensively in the Irish Times the last time they came out. However, it should be noted that the CSO figures are by county; it is county Limerick (including Limerick city) that has the highest average income per head after counties Dublin and Kildare. Some of the richest people in Ireland live in county Limerick which might affect the average.

Also as pointed out, the official population figures ignore the fact that huge swathes of the most residential areas of Limerick city are not within the city boundaries which are quite small for historical reasons. This photograph here (http://www.riversidecity.ie/images/Photos/Docklands%20City.jpg) from the "riverside city" site shows the urban quality of Limerick. I'd imagine a similar view of Galway from the air would not look so urban.
jimg

Postby mickeydocs » Mon May 09, 2005 6:03 pm

The city boundaries of Dublin and Cork are also quite small.

Is it difficult for a borough's territory to be redefined. Apparently Cork City & County Council's are at loggerheads due to the redfining of the city's boundary. Surely this is even more difficult for Limerick City in that some of the areas are actually in county clare.

Anywho for what it's worth... the cso issued the following figures from the most recent census (2002):

Main Towns
Total Population (including Suburbs or Environs)
Limerick 86,998
Galway 66,163

These figures were for the greater suburban area and included in the case of Limerick those towns in County Clare but deemed to be suburbs of Limerick (Quinnspool, Athlunkard, Fairyhill, etc).

Time to get back to Shannonside

jimg wrote:Yes, this thread is going a bit off track but dave123 is correct]http://www.riversidecity.ie/images/Photos/Docklands%20City.jpg[/url]) from the "riverside city" site shows the urban quality of Limerick. I'd imagine a similar view of Galway from the air would not look so urban.
mickeydocs

Postby GrahamH » Mon May 09, 2005 6:14 pm

Has much happened in the past few years in the improvement of the centre of Limerick? Any pictures?

Has O' Connell St come on a bit too - was there about ten years ago when it was unfortunately quite dingy.
It has a feel of Harcourt St in Dublin to to it which is quite strange - with some of its stock looking like Harcourt's replicas!

Sourthern Georgian is interesting - the doorcases seem to dominate a bit more in facades than other areas of the country - like these houses in Barrington St:

By contrast, windows seem to dominate less in smaller schemes or houses, with facades made up of wall punctuated with windows, rather than windows surrounded by some wall, as often seen in the East :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby dave123 » Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 am

Originally Posted by dave123
Limerick needs to be seen and recogniesed as ireland's third city ! its a beautiful city with the majestic shannon flows through the old english town and the splendid georgian town. there is a lot of bad press about limerick been an rough and derelict city . its as safe as any other city in ireland if not safer!The city is really changing with its bold new designs and high rise buildings at the limerick doclands .

Anybody that has not been in Limerick latley there is to high rise building been built at spaights courner and are 15 storeys and 12 storeys high , looks quite cool !!! its opposite that clarion hotel and really overlooks and enhances the area.

Please keep new developments and news posted!!!!!

How can i download pictures of developments and photographs to this thread??

there is a few nice buildings popping up in the william street in limerick city centre area which are very modern.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:07 am

i read an article in the limerickpost today about the bank of scotland moving into its new premiese on henrt street . i
and i quite like the heading!!!
new bank for a wealthy region!!!
dave123

Postby ewankennedy » Tue May 10, 2005 11:27 am

this whole 'Limerick's wealthy' thing is getting a little tiresome, i thought this page was suppose to be about the developments and architecture of Limerick - not a competitive jibe. People should learn to accept facts - Galway is 3rd largest (in terms of population re: 1986 boundary extension), but Limerick is more urbanly structured (though its city boundaries encompass a smaller population). Cork is larger than both - and if wealth is an issue, Cork generates greater economic output that both Limerick and Galway put together. But likewise, Dublin is larger than Cork and generates an economic output in excess of the aforementioned. Deal with it people, its not a competition. If it comes down to a 'I drive a bigger car than you' tit-for-tat, well then Cork, Belfast and Dublin drive bigger cars than both of ye (i was going to use another analogy but its probably too crude for this site :D ) Its just the way things are. ye should be proud of yer identities and stand up to them when unfairly treated, both Limerick and Galway have enough merits of their own to be able to discuss pleasantly. i happen to like lots of things about both cities and things i dont like so much but lets get back to what the page title says 'what about all the developments popping up in shannonside?' Note developments in the title and as this is an architecture page, these develpments should have some architectural reference or link too. :)
ewankennedy

Postby mickeydocs » Tue May 10, 2005 11:53 am

Great post Ewan... maybe we should change the name of both towns to cities of the tribes(alism).

ewankennedy wrote:this whole 'Limerick's wealthy' thing is getting a little tiresome, i thought this page was suppose to be about the developments and architecture of Limerick - not a competitive jibe. People should learn to accept facts - Galway is 3rd largest (in terms of population re: 1986 boundary extension), but Limerick is more urbanly structured (though its city boundaries encompass a smaller population). Cork is larger than both - and if wealth is an issue, Cork generates greater economic output that both Limerick and Galway put together. But likewise, Dublin is larger than Cork and generates an economic output in excess of the aforementioned. Deal with it people, its not a competition. If it comes down to a 'I drive a bigger car than you' tit-for-tat, well then Cork, Belfast and Dublin drive bigger cars than both of ye (i was going to use another analogy but its probably too crude for this site :D ) Its just the way things are. ye should be proud of yer identities and stand up to them when unfairly treated, both Limerick and Galway have enough merits of their own to be able to discuss pleasantly. i happen to like lots of things about both cities and things i dont like so much but lets get back to what the page title says 'what about all the developments popping up in shannonside?' Note developments in the title and as this is an architecture page, these develpments should have some architectural reference or link too. :)
mickeydocs

Postby jimg » Tue May 10, 2005 1:52 pm

this whole 'Limerick's wealthy' thing is getting a little tiresome, i thought this page was suppose to be about the developments and architecture of Limerick - not a competitive jibe.

Do you see any irony in using this opening line to start a message discussing how much wealth is generated by other Irish cities and how it is more than that of Limerick and Galway and which manages to avoid mentioning anything about any architecture, building or planning?
jimg

Postby ewankennedy » Tue May 10, 2005 2:08 pm

jimg wrote:Do you see any irony in using this opening line to start a message discussing how much wealth is generated by other Irish cities and how it is more than that of Limerick and Galway and which manages to avoid mentioning anything about any architecture, building or planning?

its not meant as a wealth discussion. I was just saying that if thats the way the page is going to be - here's how it is with the facts, but I was saying that its not the way the page should be. It should be about promoting Limerick's merits in architecture and development as well as its misgivings, as i mentioned at the end of the post.
ewankennedy

Postby jimg » Tue May 10, 2005 5:54 pm

I was just saying that if thats the way the page is going to be - here's how it is with the facts

Well if you're going to quote some "facts" to settle the discussion, then you should pick some which aren't so misleading. This has been stated a number of times in the thread; Galway's official population is hugely inflated by the fact that the OFFICIAL city boundary is massive compared to that for other cities. If you want to go by official city boundaries, then in terms of physical size, Galway is 2.5 times the size of Limerick, 25% bigger than Cork and is just under half the size of Dublin. In fact, in terms of official boundaries, Waterford is bigger than Cork. This shows how it's nonsense to use official city boundaries to judge the size of a city whether in terms of area covered or population.

Your other "fact" confuses absolute and per-capita wealth. Bangladesh has a bigger (in absolute terms) economy than Switzerland but it would be ridiculous to claim that Bangladeshis were wealthier than the Swiss just because there happens to be 20 times as many of them. When people talk about wealth it is generally in per-head terms. On this basis county Limerick is the third wealthiest in the Republic according to the Central Statistics Office. I imagine that the only reason this fact was quoted is because it's considered witty to knock Limerick and say it's full of scangers. It's always interesting to consider hard facts (in this case from an authority like the CSO) which challenge common stereotypes about a place.

Anyway it's not like there's some raging Limerick v. Galway war going on here. Besides the point about the CSO figures and the debate about what should be included when comparing populations, BTH and myself and most of the others are expressing differring personal preferences about some Irish cities. No one's preference is right or wrong and most expressions of opinion have been qualified with phrases like "I think" and "in my opinion" or "it feels to me".
jimg

Postby ewankennedy » Tue May 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Ok there was so much wrong with that I'm not even going to start, but i will say this, i was actually supporting Limerick and its reputation on this one and you just went ahead and worked against it. maybe the reputation about Limerick and conflict is true - you're certainly painting that picture...but in this case i'll assume its just you and not the city. i'm all for differing opinions, thats democracy baby, but theres a fine line between stating opinion, correction and ridicule. I'm going to leave it at that. Its a pity some people act the way they do, but i would really like to see Limerick develop a good, progressive and POSITIVE thread about its development, of which it has many great ones like the Burke-kennedy doyle designed one on henry street is it??? anyway, enough banter. No hard feelings. :o

well maybe just one more thing, Switzerlands GDP and GNP are both substantially higher than Bangledesh - see CIA world factbook website and papers by Conan, Andrews and Hemme (2003) - "A Modern Economic Perspective of World Economies".

good luck with the page, cant wait to see some of the great projects in store for shannonside.
ewankennedy

Postby Mob79 » Tue May 10, 2005 9:36 pm

Less faffin, more pictures, i'm not seeing how it's all coming along shannonside.
Limerick looks like a city, galway looks like a medium/small sized town drowning in suburbs, sorry, but thats how it is, regardless of wealth population yadda yadda.
Mob79

Postby dowlingm » Wed May 11, 2005 5:17 am

jimg

spot on - Limerick is crippled from Limerick Co and Ennis refusing boundary extensions.

mob79

also right - Eyre Square is nice but it's a town square not a city square, especially given the low rise surrounding it. Is there a byelaw that says you can't build higher than the Cathedral, so as not to put the Novena in shadow?

(everytime I'm in Galway there seems to be a novena on).
dowlingm

Postby backspace » Wed May 11, 2005 10:05 am

'Less faffin, more pictures, i'm not seeing how it's all coming along shannonside.'....

this is work in progress on the quays- BKD i think.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251401
backspace

Postby modular man » Wed May 11, 2005 10:31 am

Just to position myself backspace, is that Jurys to the right of that picture?
modular man

Postby dave123 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:18 am

has anybody got any architectre news of limerick???
dave123

Postby dave123 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:19 am

i agree with jimg totally!!! i couldn't of said it better myself.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:22 am

i the glass tower on riverpoint is really awesome! i think there knocking the awful yellow building onto the right as you look at the picture...
dave123

Postby dave123 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:37 am

well i cant't help my self and this, is to ewankennedy ,i wonder where you get your facts from???? you mentioned that cork generated more econmic out put than is both galway and limerick than cork is absoulatly not true , so don't be stating untrue facts the midwest including limerick is just as big as cork if not bigger , shannon employs as much as a medium sized city as well as , limerick is wealtheir that cork per capita fact and im not going to fall down on bluff , another thing the north circular road i think its south circular , corrrect me if i am wrong . that street was voted the poshest street outside of dublin last year , i read it out of the property magazine.

at the start i just wanted some thruths about limerick that people tend to forget or believe misleading stuff about limerick. i know the thread has got out of hand but i don;t think i should or like minded people should beleive false information about limerick. i have not said anyrhing bad about the other regional cities so.... the bla bla talk is what kept this mess all going .
dave123

Postby Mob79 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:49 am

dave123 wrote:i the glass tower on riverpoint is really awesome! i think there knocking the awful yellow building onto the right as you look at the picture...

Or are they recladding it, i think the computer mock ups showed as being part of the scheme!

Is anything going planned alongside the Clarion, back in riverside towards the junkyard or whatever it is, can't imagine to many customers in the clarion are overjoyed at that view.

backspace wrote:'Less faffin, more pictures, i'm not seeing how it's all coming along shannonside.'....

this is work in progress on the quays- BKD i think.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251401

wahay pictures, thanks. Looking good.
Mob79

Postby d_d_dallas » Wed May 11, 2005 12:26 pm

Hmmm - so Galway is no longer your target - time to move onto Cork!

Maybe I'll check back next week when Waterford is getting assasinated.

Limerick is an Irish city - it has it's pro's and it's cons like everywhere else. It's great that someone is defending it, but move on from the comparison type argument. It should stand up on it's own merits. The Cork thread on this board is focused on what's happening there alone and not how what happens there compares to elsewhere.
d_d_dallas

Postby dave123 » Wed May 11, 2005 2:09 pm

who are you saying your comment to? i didnt bring up in cork in thae way you obviosly discribed, i think it is a lovely city , you mentioned the words all by yourself , glad you understood my ppoint on defending limerick even though i do not come from there !
dave123

Postby dowlingm » Wed May 11, 2005 9:40 pm

dave123

catch yourself on. If Limerick can include Shannon then Cork can certainly include Ringaskiddy and then it's all over for you since Viagra is what keeps Ireland PLC ticking over.
dowlingm

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland