Forum for Cork?

Anything you would like to see on the website?

Forum for Cork?

Postby Frank Taylor » Sun May 01, 2005 11:32 am

Should there be a forum just for Cork? Cork seems to have plenty of people interested these days and all the posts get crammed into a few general Cork threads.
Frank Taylor

Re: Forum for Cork?

Postby satanta99 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:03 pm

I think that would be a good idea. A forum dedicated to discussion of architecture in Cork would reflect the mantra put forward by the Capital of Culture organisers of Cork as a 'City of Making'. But there is a danger it would just limit the audience and hence the discussion of the topics relating to Cork, if it became a separate forum.
satanta99

Postby lexington » Sun May 01, 2005 3:00 pm

Can't say I'd favour that ideology. Though in principal it sounds nice - it would be excessively restrictive and thus exclusive. It is my understanding, and Paul you can correct me on this, that this is an open forum to all those with a interest in architecture and its ancillaries/by-products/effects. The logic could be applied to any issue - albeit Sligo, the DDDA, Galway etc. and all of a sudden you have a rift. Archieire I believe means all Ireland as I understand it, I think its good that a healthy mix maintains under the one banner. And if a greater interest in architecture/development etc has been generated in those respective regions through this forum/medium, than I say, its a credit to the existing structures that this was able to come about.
lexington
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun May 01, 2005 3:05 pm

No, there's a forum for Ireland, not Dublin.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby pier39 » Sun May 01, 2005 3:05 pm

i agree with lex there. but think it should also be said and i dont mean this in any weird way but the fact that so much intrest has been made and awareness been made about develpmnt and archietcture awareness in cork is a credit to people like lex who have kept up the ante so consistent on the matters and attracted im sure many new members to the website. dunno wat others think but thats what i think anyway.
pier39

Postby GrahamH » Sun May 01, 2005 10:50 pm

Agreed, it is of credit to those involved - it has been quite startling how a rumbling of interest under the surface all of this time that has just exploded recently :)

Agreed that there should not be a forum for any city in the country - though I can see the origins of the logic given the strain Cork's major thread is under.
If there is one thing I'd be cirtical of with the Cork thread is that by its nature it quite often cannot cope with the amount of posts it recieves - it moves so swiftly that issues can get left behind. It is quite acceptable for other thread to be opened you know!
Perhaps threads devoted to old and new Cork could be a way to go, or even a thread for the burgeoning waterside/docklands developments of the city that so thrust the current thread forward at lightening speed.

To put the situation in context - Cork, Ireland's second city has a thread devoted to itself.
The granite kerbstones of Dublin's Pearse Street also have a thread of their own :)

Something not quite right there!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby mickeydocs » Wed May 04, 2005 12:07 pm

why not restart the thread every 10 pages as look at the state of it part 2/3/4/etc?
Archive the existing thread and away we go.

Graham Hickey wrote:Agreed, it is of credit to those involved - it has been quite startling how a rumbling of interest under the surface all of this time that has just exploded recently :)

Agreed that there should not be a forum for any city in the country - though I can see the origins of the logic given the strain Cork's major thread is under.
If there is one thing I'd be cirtical of with the Cork thread is that by its nature it quite often cannot cope with the amount of posts it recieves - it moves so swiftly that issues can get left behind. It is quite acceptable for other thread to be opened you know!
Perhaps threads devoted to old and new Cork could be a way to go, or even a thread for the burgeoning waterside/docklands developments of the city that so thrust the current thread forward at lightening speed.

To put the situation in context - Cork, Ireland's second city has a thread devoted to itself.
The granite kerbstones of Dublin's Pearse Street also have a thread of their own :)

Something not quite right there!
mickeydocs

Postby JPD » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:35 am

I am coming to the opinion that there are disproportionate number of Cork based users on this forum, I think that Cork threads should be in two forums Ireland & Cork. Would that be technically possible?
JPD

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:10 am

see my answer above
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Suggestions & Announcements