Arnotts

Re: Arnotts

Postby GrahamH » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:50 pm

Certainly looks later than 1980 anyway. Here's the link to the engineering/materials firm that built the Arnotts extention - it's here that says 1980. Intersting bits and pieces of info about the job:

http://www.corusconstruction.com/page_9065.htm
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:12 pm

Graham Hickey wrote:Certainly looks later than 1980 anyway. Here's the link to the engineering/materials firm that built the Arnotts extention - it's here that says 1980. Intersting bits and pieces of info about the job:

http://www.corusconstruction.com/page_9065.htm

Must be 1990 (1980 must be a typo) if it says they were utilising the benefits of the 1986 Urban renewal act! (and I remember being in secondary school when it was being done!)
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 am

You must be right - we used to have to go a different way as kids to get to the annual Christmas Lego Exhibition in Arnotts before the dome came along - the highlight of the year :)

Christmas has never been the same since :(
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:06 pm

Was passing early this morning and noticed something that may be of interest. Inside, the trademark cast iron pillars which presumably are Victorian, extend out beyond the original facade and into the 60s section.
How far I'm not totally sure - went in to have a look and braved a totally empty teenage girl store with suspicious staff eying every move :o
It seems the columns only extend as far as a couple of bays into the 60s part, maybe a 1/4 or so - perhaps the width of the terminating pavilion?

The pillars could be repros but it seems unlikely as they only extend a small part into the new building when they could have gone the whole way if desired.
Does nobody have a pic of Henry St from the 50s - surely someone has one!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:06 am

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:40 am

Arnotts have placed displays of some of their higher end ranges in the windows of the former Irish Independent offices on Middle Abbey St, I presume that this is a prelude to a much more intensive use of the building. :p
PVC King

Postby JPD » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:59 am

Thomond Park wrote:Arnotts have placed displays of some of their higher end ranges in the windows of the former Irish Independent offices on Middle Abbey St, I presume that this is a prelude to a much more intensive use of the building. :p

What is so damn interesting about a larger department store?
JPD

Postby kefu » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:50 pm

I wish they'd set the clock properly while they're at it.
kefu

Postby phil » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 pm

I really think what they did to the old Adelphi was insulting.
phil
Old Master

Postby phil » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:10 pm

Do they just zoom in and out across the tracks?

Ps, this is a reply to Grahams post about the cars going in and out of the car park. For some reason it came up as though I had posted it before Grahams post! Hopefully this editing will sort it out!
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:14 pm

The users of its car park are just as ignorant towards the Luas.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:08 pm

28/12/2005

Not to 'compete' with the other current Arnotts thread, but as it reminded me, it's only logical I post here to in some way bring closure to this long-running saga :)

I can now confirm for definite, as was suggested earlier by some, that this is what what built at the turn of the last century:

A central tower flanked by two smaller terminating pavillions.

The IAA has a picture of Henry St prior to 1916 clearly showing the building above in all its glory, with the now-demolished right-hand tower standing in the distance.
The vast building as depicted on the bag, as everyone knew, never existed.

It also explains why there are still interior decorative cast iron columns continuing into the 1960s part - as far a I can make out they run precisely to the depth that the terminating tower and extra bays would have extended to. Clearly they were demolished to make way for what is a mere curtain wall :(

Didn't have time to check out the original 'bag plans' for the building - work for another day.
Only then will the Arnotts Mystery be truly solved.......
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:14 am

Graham Hickey wrote:I can now confirm for definite, as was suggested earlier by some, that this is what what built at the turn of the last century:

A central tower flanked by two smaller terminating pavillions.

The IAA has a picture of Henry St prior to 1916 clearly showing the building above in all its glory, with the now-demolished right-hand tower standing in the distance.

Are you sure Graham? I presume this is the photo you refer to (below), which you posted in the other thread. I can see something which might be the domed roof of the now-demolished tower ... but then again it mightn't ...

The possibility was suggested earlier in the thread that the western tower could have been demolished at the time the '60s curtain wall bit was built. The picture above (from Lost Dublin) is a view from the top of the pillar in probably the '30s or '40s (certainly before the '60s bit was built). The western tower does not appear to be present - at least there's no sign of its domed roof, and I think it would be visible from this point, all things considered. (What might appear at first glance to be the top its domed roof is actually just one of four finials at the base of the central tower's roof.)

I'm still not satisfied the west tower was ever built - arrgh!!

Other thread here: http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?p=44335#post44335
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:36 am

You're making me uneasy now! :D

I deliberately checked in the IAA for this very purpose, and the only photograph they had of Henry St as I recall was that of the street similar to that above but taken from street level and possibly a little more to the right - clearly showing the western tower. The 'steeple' as it were may not have been visible, can't remember, but the shaft/main body of the tower was.

Really ought to get a photocopy of the picture to sort this one out for good.

Is this not it here?
Attachments
Arnotts Tower Arrow.JPG
Arnotts Tower Arrow.JPG (34.83 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:49 am

Hard to know isn't it - I don't think it would be visible in Devin's image but if it was built, it must be in a photo somewhere.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:52 am

I can make it out but it is a good inch higher than the arrow
PVC King

Postby Devin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:21 am

Looking at the building now from the same spot as that 1916 pic might help (bearing in mid the other changes) - I might do that tomorrow if I'm nearby.

Graham, if there is another picture where as you say it is definitely visible, well that will nail it.
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:33 am

Indeed - I'll try and get a photocopy.

But the extending of the interior columns into the 60s part to the width of the tower does it for me - take a look.
It's difficult (not least without looking suspicious), there's only one or two columns left, and you tend to lose your bearings with the lamppost marker outside once when you go in - but it is possible :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:49 am

Ok - will do that too.
Devin
Old Master

Postby geraghtyg » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:34 am

OK, very small pic I know. Apologies. I took this snapshot from the fascinating program about the Moore St Traders originally broadcast way back in 1974 but shown again last week. Credit for this pic is with RTE. Now the pic is of the site now occupied by the Ilac Centre. Question is, the building toward the top left of the pic with the dome, is this Arnotts or possibly Jervis hospital. I first thought it was Arnotts but I think there are too many windows, bay wise. And it looks like the Guiness buildings behind it so this would not be right. Jervis seems to the candidate then? Anyone have any ideas? Sorry for possibly going off-topic. I don't really think this warranted a new thread.

Thanks

Graham
geraghtyg

Postby Morlan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:51 am

Bigger picture for you:

Morlan

Postby geraghtyg » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:59 am

Thanking you Morlan - Don't know why it's so small in the post by myself. Should've came out bigger.
geraghtyg

Postby GrahamH » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:07 am

You can see it very clearly in the image posted by Devin above.
The huge hulk of a grey box to the left would appear to be the rear end of Roches, if that puts any bearing on things - assuming that's it of course...
If so, the red building would have stood at the top of Liffey St, behind/on the current site of the ILAC entrance.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:39 am

Yes, that building is also mentioned in the caption of the picture from Lost Dublin (last picture in Post 38, above). It says: 'To the right ... is the dome, surmounted by a flagpole, of the Henry Street Warehouse Company latterly known as Denmark House, Little Denmark Street, an early steel-framed building which was demolished in 1976'. Lost Dublin was published 1981 - Little Denmark Street was of course subsequently wiped out for the ILAC.

Once you know what the mystery building is you can see what the other things are: back of Roches on the left as Graham said; the ugly back of the Jervis Hospital behind the Denmark St. building; Pennys' excellent Baroque dome to the right; and the blurry spire & tower to the right of that would be the Augustinian church, Thomas St., & the Four Courts.

geraghtyg, is the picture a digital grab or a photo of the tv screen? - it's quite good if it's a photo!
Devin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:21 am

Spot on Devin....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland