Jobs in Toronto

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Jobs in Toronto

Postby giveusaclews » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:41 pm

Relocating to Toronto in July for a year... VISA and work permit already obtained..

25yrs Male RIBA Part two qualified architect

I'm currently working in an Architects in Sheffield (England), having recently finished my degree and diploma in the british system of architectural education... total of 5 years education (passed with honours) with three additional years of in architectural practice work. (mainly working on educational projects--- schools and colleges)

Usual CAD and Graphics skills... Basic technical knowledege..

Very motivated and driven

Anybody interested in my services for a year -- or just a few months --- any suggestions of places to work would be kindly received..

Can send CV's and examples of work out...

Take care

Steve Clews
giveusaclews

Re: Jobs in Toronto

Postby helloinsane » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:07 am

Start here:

http://www.oaa.on.ca/client/oaa/OAAHome.nsf/web/Employment+Opportunities!OpenDocument

There's a fair amount of work around at the moment, shouldn't be a problem finding a job.
helloinsane

Postby deliriousbeat_0 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 am

Right, but most of those jobs suck, unless you aspire to be a CAD technologist or want to work for a dinosaur. If you are willing to settle for anything though, chances are you'll get work. Archinect.com has much better listings, but those are generally in the States.

Conversely, I am potentially interested in moving to the UK from Toronto. What pointers can you give?
deliriousbeat_0

Postby giveusaclews » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:29 pm

checked it out... only seems to be American jobs... i only have a permit to work in Canada..

I'm guessing you have good links in Toronto..

Quite happy to do a trade of information... I'm going to Toronto through a company called BUNAC

Check out BUNAC.org they sort out visas and stuff...

What part of the UK do you want to move to? can suggest areas.. give ideas on rent and what lifestyle is like..

http://www.architecture.com has liks to all sorts of uk stuff-- Jobs... Exhibitions etc..
http://www.ajplus.co.uk has loads of jobs... (the architects journal aka A.J. being the most read magazine of british architects alongside the architectural review, architecture today and Building Design magazine).

I can help you decide what city you want to live... and various architects to focus on... eg contemporary/ eco/ coroporate etc...

I really want to work somewhere with a strong Civic and social responsibility... strong emphasis on design and construction being integrated... any ideas?

anyone else have any ideas or questions?
giveusaclews

Postby helloinsane » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:31 pm

deliriousbeat_0 wrote:Right, but most of those jobs suck, unless you aspire to be a CAD technologist or want to work for a dinosaur.

Feck off, we advertise there.

So where do the young, hip firms advertise then?
helloinsane

Postby giveusaclews » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:32 am

thanks...

looks like you killed that discussion

cheers

Have a nice one

giveusaclews

Postby helloinsane » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:01 pm

You're welcome, btw.
helloinsane

Postby L1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:48 pm

Thought I could make a contribution. I am having to move from UK (London) to Canada, near Toronto due to partners job and some vague should leave this nasty, biggy, smoky city feelings.....
Always thought BD was our best industry magazine for both jobs & gossip, never thought AJ was up to much..it may have changed. London is a fabulous city for architecture although it can all get counterproductive due to outrageous levels of individual competition among architects and hot air.
Have been pretty shocked by some aspects of practice in Canada, Toronto is ugly. The suburbs even uglier, you draw inner rooms on plan & call them bedrooms! Do not think OAA jobs site too exciting, although it depends on what you are after I suppose, RIBA not exactly an engine of growth & change either and trendy is not the be-all & end-all obviously.
Strange choice of destination too, why Toronto? Serious moderate liberal approach of canadians may appeal to your sense of social justice, and commitment to society.
I think Toronto has a long way to go. Local architects must be so fed up with the Star architect buildings this city has suddenly decided it needs after quite a long time of probably not bothering too much.
L1

Postby deliriousbeat_0 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:12 pm

To the guy who is still looking for clues:

It seems that some of us agree about the OAA site anyway. Only once did it actually facilitate a really good job for me, with a solid office like the one you hope to work for. That was something of a fluke. It is useful, but serious editorial effort is required to sort out the junk, and after all, landing the interview and/or position is really mostly about luck, timing and, as with everything else, knowing the right people. Unfortunately the association's website has the longest list of advertised local positions. This should tell you something: that is, most of the good jobs are not widely advertised, or are not advertised at all.

If your goal is just find a job, start applying for everything. Work your credentials. Write some nifty cover letters and may get offers. Just don't expect to end up with your dream job. That will take a lot more time and your feet will have to on the ground, here. I also question why you want to come to Toronto, and I know this place well. There is work here, and some of it is even good, but I am thoroughly convinced that opportunities in the EU, generally speaking, are considerably more interesting. Without local experience, you will never get a job with an A-list office here unless you have a strong prior connection, even if you graduated at the top of your class. Still, I encourage you to try.

Me, I working seriously with a recruiter based out of Dublin called DESIGN STAFF. (A local equivalent would be ATS Reliance. They also have listings at the OAA site. But most of those jobs do really suck.) The recruiter seems pretty keen and he has already set up a tentative interview with an office called Horan Keogan Ryan in Dublin. Their work seems reasonably good. I’m not sure that I’ll come over for a single meeting. We’ll see. The London-based recruiters have not been as helpful.

There you go. The other guy is just an idiot.
deliriousbeat_0

Postby helloinsane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:17 pm

deliriousbeat_0 wrote:Without local experience, you will never get a job with an A-list office here unless you have a strong prior connection, even if you graduated at the top of your class.

Glad I didn't know that when I moved here.
helloinsane

Postby L1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:17 am

Aha! Something I have long suspected to be the case, Toronto architectural scene a tad provincial. Solid jobs at OAA (exactly my experience)anything interesting and they make you work at it. Well, at least I know what's up now.
Tips on London & Dublin by the way......London, I'm up to speed, genuinely international city, with professional recruitment, not too cliquey although old boy network esp. Cambridge still operates. Agencies, technical & wild cards Hays, SIV, solid RIBA, Adrem & Bespoke for design (although they are expensive for offices to use so expectations are high). London recruiters are busy so maybe not so interested in those still abroad and tend to pigeonhole you, like loyalty.
Dublin, I would say, although I'm a little out of touch, bit provincial too, less tendancy to advertise although improving, maybe not so much work now as in previous years.
You could try visiting London & Dublin (they're close) and cover all bases.
So Delerious who do you reckon is on the A-list in T.? Many thanks for the information!
L1

Postby helloinsane » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:48 pm

It's not that provincial. I moved here from Dublin with no Canadian experience and got interviews with five firms, at least three of whom could be considered A-list [Diamond Schmitt, Teeple Architects and KPMB]. It all comes down to the candidate - with a solid resume and an interesting portfolio you'll have no trouble finding a good position.

Where near T.O. are you considering, L1?

Just to clarify, I'd like to point out to certain people that I suggested the OAA list in my original post as a starting point, not the definitive list. If someone else should know of a separate list of 'good' available Toronto architectural positions they shouldn't hide their light under a bushel.
helloinsane

Postby David Gray » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:43 pm

Steve - You may want to try SOM's Toronto office. An e-mail crossed my desk yesterday indicating they're looking for a 'very experienced technical person'. I also think that WZMH will be looking to increase their numbers in the coming months.
David Gray

Postby giveusaclews » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:50 am

thanks guys.. thats really useful!

think the reason for chosing Canada was more the weather (not joking)... the proximity to amazing countryside... sports... a chilled out/ safe and comfortable life... I've just done the hardest two years of my life in one of the top Architecture schools in the UK (sheffield).. which was fun.. but a bit life consuming!..

Eventually hope to get involved in the vernacular/ community build architecture scene in the Northern territories.. but to do that i need to earn a bit of cash in the big smoke.. Not aiming to waste any time at all.. so any work i get has to be good CV stuff!.. really want to have a good and productive time.. My experience is limited on technical construction - with good design as the emphasis, so would be good to get involved on a project where the client has money to do something interesting, rather than what is the most economic.. Which tends to mean working for the larger name companies..

Anywhere i can get work i'll make the most of it..

David Grey... how did you get an email cross your desk about work?.. You're not a handy conection are you?

Take care

Steve
giveusaclews

Postby L1 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:12 am

Hello again,

My starting point will be in Waterloo/Kitchener university town about 11/2 hours from T. .
By the way, AJ Diamond & KPMB hardly A-list from what I have seen.
However, I am not straight (or even recently) out of college and that has quite a role to play. Limitations of the website I think, we all have different requirements.
L1

Postby helloinsane » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:40 pm

L1 wrote:By the way, AJ Diamond & KPMB hardly A-list from what I have seen.

Ouch, my feelings.

I'd be genuinely interested to know what firms people would consider A-list inToronto. I'm drawing a blank, and I've been here nearly four years...
helloinsane

Postby deliriousbeat_0 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 pm

Well I would agree that all the firms noted above would be considered "A-list" here. And you if hit them on a good day, during a solid upswing, with a great CV and some kind of office-in, you;ll probably get their attention.

Having said that, is the work of these supposed local "A-list" offices worth crossing the atlantic for? No, not in my mind. Not unless you've already decided Toronto is your man. If you just want a change of scenery, you should definitely re-consider the US.

On the other hand, work in the north (it's reallly north here, fucking cold and northern and cold-- not like the British north) is, from what I understand, actully easier to come by. Nobody wants to live there and their are serious tax incentives, grants to do so. Plus they are in are in definite expansion mode up there. Lotsa work on the native reserves in the northwest too. I would recommend starting there directly. Check out the provncial associaiton sites for Alberta and BC, they have much stronger connections to the territories than Ontario. Also I recnelly saw a bunch of northern jobs listed at Monster.ca., mostly planning, programming related stuf though.

SOM is busy everywhere and they always will be. Didn't know they'd crossed the border though.

I think the only true "A-list" offices in Canada would include Patkau, Saucier and a handful of others. But I;m a picky mother. The original Canadian pioneers are mostly dead. The more interesting offices are smaller and often struggling, like everywher else. This highest qualitly work per capita is in Quebec without question, but no anglophone will ever get a good job there.

Ciao.
deliriousbeat_0

Postby deliriousbeat_0 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:21 pm

L1 what's your experience with the London recruiters? Bespoke seems to have the most coveted list, but a certain amount of unfriendly attitude as well.

So you think they would the be more helpful if I was actually in London?
deliriousbeat_0

Postby L1 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:35 pm

Hell, if I have to move to Canada perhaps I could commute from the northern territories!! It could be like Northern Exposure.....
Anyway it's so nice to get some decent info. at last, confirms my worst suspicions.
To help you out Delerious, Bespoke were set up by a nice lady called Lindsay and they get good jobs although some maybe a bit too up & coming. They should be friendly but people in London are very busy & they probably think you're not in town yet & they've got all these jobs to fill today.
Actually, I know it's hard work but I always used to think the best jobs are the ones you find yourself.
L1

Postby jamesinbelfast » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:16 pm

To tempt this thread away from the original subject - I too am a Sheffield graduate (albeit a part one) planning a second year out in Canada (I'm currently in Belfast, Northern Ireland) before returning for the M.Arch (diploma).

I'm going to Montreal next month for a holiday and tentative research trip, although probably won't be taking a CV just yet (not moving until end of September).

Can anyone sum up the scene in Montreal right now - is there much work about, and is it more or less 'provincial' than Toronto - my impressions have always been positive, but would be interested to hear otherwise.

Many thanks,

*j*
jamesinbelfast

Postby deliriousbeat_0 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:55 pm

Right, I thought had summed up the Montreal scene. Great work. Everyone's broke. You're either Francophone, Anglo, or Jewish. You don't generally don't get work in any office unless you're either the first or third, and there isn't a lot of cross-cultural mixing. That's OK, cause they really isn't much work anyway. The french-speaking offices tend to produce higher quality buildings, although one of the best new cultural facilities in the province was recently completed by a west-coast firm. Still, the French rule. Quebec is our Basque country, even if they haven't used bombs since the 70's. You definitely need to be local to make any headway.

L1, K-W has the architecture school many would refer to as the strongest in Canada. They just moved to a great new facility on the river. Try contacting them. Everyone who is everyone in Toronto either graduated from Waterloo arch, teaches at Waterloo arch, or is friends with one of the above.

OK, what's the deal with this damn Part I Part II, etc, and why is it completely different in Ireland? (Where I can't figure out the system at all.) Does anyone have experience with equivalent standing for out-of-jurisdiction applicants? Who is an intern, who is an architect? If I've been presented a base salary starting at up to 36K euros, is this enough to live on a big European city?
deliriousbeat_0

Postby giveusaclews » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:47 pm

here's the training... can't be an architect without completing the three stages..

the basic and most common route in the UK

1......RIBA (royal institute of British Architects) part one (pt1) --- three years degree - university taught course full time --- Architectural basics

2.....Year Out -- Year in industry -- working for an architects somewhere in the world..

3.....RIBA part two --- Two year diploma -- university taught course full time.. (really hard work!.. lots of late nights...!) Design/ construction/ management/ materials etc..

4.....RIBA part three --- One year minimum Proffesional Practice Management... legal stuff/ contract/ fees etc.. University Part time( whilst working in a UK architects) --- Exams (really hard ones!)/ course work/ Interviews etc... Quite difficult to balance while working as well (so i'm told)

All in all a minimum of Seven years... (not many people do it that quickly) paid work kind of gets in the way..

Salaries are not goot for architects... there are too many of us/ and other types of proffesion are moving into the role that we have traditionally taken...

Some forms of contract are better for other people such as project managers/ surveyors etc to be the lead member of the design team... We are also competing too much for work (working for much less of a percentage)

Look at the RIBA website... http://www.architecture.com that has the recommended salaries for places to live..
Also look at the Hays Montroes (employment agency) website.. they have the tables worked out as well.. Contracting gets you more money ... just less job security

Take care

Thanks for your help guys

Steve
giveusaclews

Postby L1 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:47 am

Delerious, actually the salary figure you mention seems reasonable for a pre-part III architect, but Dublin is expensive. As a small country with limited production, but actually more demand for services these days unfortunately accompanied by an upswing in greed, tax is high in all areas... also when we changed over to the Euro the calculators seemed to slip up a notch on almost everything. Don't worry there is perfect parity between english & irish parts one/ two/three.
I am interested to know who you are covering in 'Canadian pioneers', I suppose you include Ralph Erskine, Ron Thom and Vancouver mid-century modernist types? I'd like your thoughts on it & where it's going. Somebody once suggested to me that Shim Sutcliffe & Patkaus were of the same ilk, but to me there is dynamism & organic quality to Patkaus work not present in the former. Anyway better go do something useful.
L1

Postby deliriousbeat_0 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Thanks for this guys, definitely a help. I;m coming over at the end of teh month anyway for interviews and partly just to get out of here for a while. It sounds like you have a very different and somewht more demanding system than degree accredidation/ NCARB in North America (and that's saying something). Appears is if I;m most of Part II and part of Part III; confusing.

Yes, the "Canadian pioneers" I was refering to are generally of taht ilk. True originals. Not toomany around now. Shim/ Sutcliffe do excellent work but can't be compared ot Patkau's etc. Brig Shim has a very small, tight shop and chooses who she wants to work with- boutique. I'm also a bit tired of their language; though they've made some beautiful furniture/ fitments. Thes e kinds of offices mostly support themselves by also having tenured teaching gigs at one the local schools. I've personally known the last two Prix de Rome winners and worked with one. They also both fit this category. Nice to work for if you're still young. They don't hire people., they get free or next to free work from student on top of a small core staff that doesn't turn over much.... also incude Kohn Shnier, Brown & Storey,e tc... it s a smart way too go, becuase there isn't enough good[ U]c rtical[/U] work to go round. That's why they're are the KMPB's of the world.... good work, very comnpentent, on time/ budget blah blah blah political architecture. but hese guys steal all the "good" clients and pretned to be the best of breed. We don't do architectual competitions ehre to speak of.

Actually, I don't know where local practicei s heading. We suffer from all teh same problems as you jsut mentioned.... hence, my potential move to the UK, wehre at least the talent pool is a bit wider.
deliriousbeat_0

Postby L1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:11 am

Well as I said before Delerious, its just great to get some straight talking on this subject. I have my eye on UW school. Hope you enjoy your trip, believe it or not you can almost (only almost) have too much fun. This is an amazing city.
Happily, the amount of work there is anywhere is not really finite. There are always people who need architects & just don't realise it. I'd be a lot happier if there was more practice of Arch. in Toronto & Canada generally but there is also a romanticism around pioneers etc.. I'm a bit fed-up with the dominant New British Architecture style to be honest, and don't get me started on the politics.....Thanks everyone for all the help.
L1

Next

Return to World Architecture