St. Stephen's Green, Dublin

Re: New Building in Stephens Green

Postby PVC King » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Rory W wrote:It's finished now and the tenents Bank of Scotland (Ireland) are in. Almost 30 years after the the rampage started Stephen's green is whole again. - now please start pulling down the crap on the south side of the Green (KPMG, old Dept of Justice, Canada House, Hainult House for starters)

There is shuttering up around the old department of Justice, so it shouldn't be too long before something happens on that one, there is a plan for Canada House and I'm sure KPMG has been in play for a while given the sites has a very low site coverage ratio and depressing architecture.
PVC King

Postby phil » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:27 pm

I was looking at the planning application for Canada House recently on-line. It is at the phase of 'additional information' at present. The council seem to want justification for the removal of the old structure in terms of sustainability. It appears they might want the developers to upgrade the present building instead of building from scratch.
phil
Old Master

Postby notjim » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:52 pm

so the bad thing about the BoS building is that ugly fussing with the curved glass; they should have just stepped the building line like the other buildings on this side; the colour isn't great either, but what is great is that completely unexpected long view down the side corridor with the illuminated panel at the end; i love it, i am just afraid that someone will ruin the effect with a potted plant.
notjim

Postby PVC King » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:28 pm

[quote="notjim"]so the bad thing about the BoS building is that ugly fussing with the curved glass]

They just did
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:41 pm

Did anyone see the almost full page article on the Bank of Scotland building in FMD's architecture page in todays times.

It gave it the review it deserved, money very well spent.
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:36 pm

Almost fawning :)

But rightly so - although I see what people mean about the clunky glazing curve: it would have been so elegant with the use of curved glass.
But it is how the building fills that hole on the Green that's the most satisfying part of its completion - the gradual stepping back of all the buildings into the distance when viewed from Grafton St looks great.
Draws your eye away from the Stephen's Green Centre too :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:53 am

Graham Hickey wrote:Almost fawning :)

But rightly so - although I see what people mean about the clunky glazing curve: it would have been so elegant with the use of curved glass.
But it is how the building fills that hole on the Green that's the most satisfying part of its completion - the gradual stepping back of all the buildings into the distance when viewed from Grafton St looks great.
Draws your eye away from the Stephen's Green Centre too :)

I still remember the story on RTE radio the morning 'A house with strong connections to Daniel O'Connell has been illegally demolished' obviously nothing was going to bring it back in 1985 Dublin but this building is definitely the best possible outcome. It pains me to say this but I am glad that the site stayed vacant for most of that period as very few groups would have designed such an appropriate building for such a tricky site and it is also highly unlikely that any speculative attempt would have come close to it.. Steping a building into that particular spot must have taken serious thought and there is no comparison between this perfectly judged scheme and BKD's admirable extension to the Lucent Technologies (ABN-AMRO) building.

An interesting view of this building is through the entrance to the Stephens Green Shopping Centre Car Park, this building has buckets of space but shaved off quite a lot in the 5% of the footprint that could have mired the project for years.

The plant in the corridor has thankfully departed the stage after its three day residency and yes the scale of corridor can be appreciated much more easily without it. :D
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:38 am

26/8/2006

Well the latest addition to the Green's varied stock is just nearing completion: Number 75 St. Stephen's Green, otherwise known as the former Department of Justice - though goodness knows it did anything but justice to its prominent location on the historic south Green with its hideous black panelling and aluminium frames.

The basic concrete structure of that building has been retained by architects Burke Kennedy Doyle, but was completely gutted, reclad to the front, extended to the rear, and needless to say on top too:

It makes quite the shimmering statement amongst the cardigans of this lovely rambling side of the Green!

The set back storey is alas intrusive and ugly; setbacks never live up to the well proportioned ideal spouted in renderings:

© Burke Kennedy Doyle/Homan O'Brien Associates

What is an elegant penthouse storey depicted above as viewed from the lofty heights of a three storey camera pole across the road, is the top few inches of an apparent plantroom when viewed from the Green:

Even with the glazing in view from further back, it still looks flat, cumbersome and ugly, breaking the parapet standard of the south Green and imposing on the enchanting chimneyed skyline of this part of the terrace:

But otherwise, it's a stunning building: wonderfully sheek, generating strong vertical lines in character with the south Green plots, as well as horizontal ones that unify the long facade.

The building is also a remarkable contradiction in terms of light, being both reflective and transparent at the same time. You can clearly see the light flooding through from the rear, giving the building a lovely lightness of touch unlike the blockly mass of neighbouring offices, whilst also managing to draw the bright leafy Green across the road over to this gloomy north facing terrace via its highly reflective windows, adding a lovely dash of colour right next door the glowing orange brick of the Victorian block and neighbouring wine Georgian:

Not that renderings are anything to go on, but it does look stunning at night :)

© Burke Kennedy Doyle/Homan O'Brien Associates

So to trot out the all too-regular verdict for nearly every new building in Dublin these days: overall a job exceedingly well done, but a pity about the setback…
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:31 pm

The set back could have been executed a little better but I think it is fair to say that it provides a very decent template for high end infill at a sensitive location that delivers both Grade A space that will attract a rental level premium in the market and delivers a good result in architectural terms for the City.

I hope that similar results follow on other buildings such as the RSA building on Dawson St and this building's immediate neighbour Hainault House which along with Stokes Place and 25 Stephens Green are the only real re-development objectives left on the Green.
PVC King

Postby ctesiphon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:01 pm

That night-time render doesn't show accurately the current view. As I passed it in the dark last night, I noticed that the building is lit up internally in green, except for the first floor which is purple.:confused:

Also, you can be sure that any apparent transparency will quickly be blurred once tenants move in with net curtains, potted plants posters and Post-Its, so anyone wanting a look at the see-through beauty should move quickly.
ctesiphon
Old Master

Postby Devin » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:36 pm

The original proposal was for an extra three storeys above the parapet level (an eight storey building altogether). But it was reduced to what you see now after 3rd party objections.

Dept. of Justice redevevelopment application
Devin
Old Master

Postby Blisterman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:50 am

I go to Stephen's Green all the time, and I never even knew they were building that, since the buses now go the other way around. Looks nice from the photos. I'll have to go check it out.
Blisterman

Postby GrahamH » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:47 am

10/6/2007

Just some pics of Number 75 at night.

It doesn't seem to change colour - maybe it's a different colour each night?

Also its substantial rear, facing onto the NCH.

And for what its worth, the uncoordinated patchwork quilt of Iveagh House a few plots further down. What a shame - it's almost there.

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby MrX » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:41 pm

What's happening long-term with the eircom buildings on Stephen's Green?
They're due to move fairly soon.

Is it just going to be re-used as is or demolished and turned into something else?
MrX

Postby PVC King » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:55 pm

I can't see a case for redevelopment; the front blocks both have basements and Block C to the rear is already 7 or 8 storeys given it starts 1.5 levels down; the existing parking provision is extremely attractive and would no doubt be scaled down dramatically if redeveloped. To make it pay would involve a complete rewriting of the building line for the square which would not be without much opposition one thinks.

This observer sees a reletting probably in blocks or even floors of blocks or possibly a 12 month refurb and then a reletting as a substantial corporate HQ complex.

The KPMG complex at Stokes Place is a much more attractive prospect for redevelopment to my mind.

Good photos Graham; this type of lighting makes a very positive contribution and highlights much of what is good about mixed use development; in the City of London you rarely see such lighting because come 6pm the place is only frequented by workaholics scurrying home and does not see much leisure or tourist traffic.
PVC King

Postby MrX » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: the eircom HQ

Is there an eircom switch in one of those basements? If so, it'll likely stay in eircom hands. Moving those exchanges isn't an easy task as they are the hub for thousands of individual lines.

I know the main eircom switches in Central Dublin are at Dame Court, Adelaide Road and Crown Alley (in Temple Bar). But, it's likely they've some gear in the HQ building too.
MrX

Postby colm07 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:52 pm

It's about time someone brought up the topic of St. Stephens green. Does anyone know what business stands, where the St. Vincents hospital on the East side of the green used to be? I would go check myself but I don't live in Ireland anymore. I include a photo of Michael Collins funeral. Collins leaving St. Vincents hospital, heading for City Hall to lie in state.
Attachments
indh275.jpeg
indh275.jpeg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 5687 times
colm07

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:57 pm

used to be Irish Permanent offices in the 90s I think
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby colm07 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:57 pm

...and another.
Attachments
indh276.jpeg
indh276.jpeg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
colm07

Postby notjim » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Re. the Eircom building, isn't there trouble here, RCSI owns the building and want to expand into it some time in the future, Eircom want to sell the lease to a developer and RCSI are trying to stop them to stop the developer trying to force them into a joint venture. I could have this wrong.
notjim

Postby colm07 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:11 pm

You could be right Paul. I dont know what the hell it is. I remember as a pup, passing that side of the green on the bus. There was always girls waiting on a bus on that side of the green. I wonder if it is a school? I dont know...fine building all the same
colm07

Postby tommyt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Colm 07-PermannetTSB are still there AFAIK- It is a large complex with the main reception on Leeson Lane-Thta side of the Green heading towards Leeson St. Contains the OPW HQ in number 51, that girls school is still there and then I think PermTSB own all the rest to the junction with Lwr Leeson (Canada house is number 69 I think so you can imagine it is a sizable chunk of real estate.

Eircom HQ whilst not an attractive building definitely occupies the max amount of floorspace one could hope to get on that site-Block C is indeed massive as PVC King points out and is not in 100% usage as far as I know (up to last summer anyway). It is worth a wander into the courtyard there for a scooch around-You get a great view of the 4 bed semis that are built off Cuffe St-none of these ever seem to come on the market which has always surprised me-there's not many of them and they look like they would be more at home in an English Home counties/commuter town. A very desirable little enclave
tommyt

Postby colm07 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks for your help Tommy:) Permanent TSB are some mortgage group, just looked them up. ;)
colm07

Postby Rory W » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:01 pm

colm07 wrote:You could be right Paul. I dont know what the hell it is. I remember as a pup, passing that side of the green on the bus. There was always girls waiting on a bus on that side of the green. I wonder if it is a school? I dont know...fine building all the same

The girls from the Loretto school on the Green?
Rory W
Old Master

Postby KerryBog2 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:05 pm

Open to correction on this, but that has been replaced by a building occupied by the Permanent TSB. The building was originally built by the Irish Permanent Building Society and named "Edmund Farrell House" after the then CEO's daddy. I think it was initially to be named Sean Lemass House. There was an outcry over it at the time. Then the Trustee Savings Bank took over the IPBS and rightly dumped the HQ's name. There was a later and separate row over Edmund Farrell’s remuneration package and his home in Foxrock that went to law…. Colm, you are confusing the photo above with the Loreto Convent, a girls' school that is a few doors down on the same block and does not look dissimilar. Never had to go further than the ones in Dalkey or Foxrock, meself.
KB
KerryBog2

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland