Is Slate any good?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Is Slate any good?

Postby alanpb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:20 pm

I want to use a natural stone product to tile the internal floors of a new building. I want the tiles to be polished. I want to pave the exterior with natural textured tiles. I want to clad the internal reception area in polished stone, and I want a natural stone, polished, reception desk counter. I want the stone to be dark and of similar colour for all the different uses.

I have been considering slate for this use due to it's asthetic properties and it's ability to come in it's natural cleft face or polished surfaces.

Does anone have any advice as to which type of slate would be most suitable? I'm looking for good quality and money is not particularly tight for the project.

Any advice or past experience would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alan
alanpb

Re: Is Slate any good?

Postby alan d » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:49 pm

we use slate a lot, the best comes from quarries in the North Of England....... Burlington Kirkyby Quarry in Cumbria
http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/wip/sentinel/index.htm
Attached is an image

Alternatively Kirkstone also from Cumbria
http://www.murraydunloparchitects.com/casestudies/radisson/index.htm

Which is a black slate of a uniformed colour but has a rather unique Golden Thread running through it
Attached are images

You can pretty much do everything that you are suggesting but the stone is better used as a rain screen hung from the structural frame rather than coursed and layed so it is sharper. Can't use riven slate on a floor for you'll never keep it clean.

Only advice I can offer other than this, which is very important, is set out what you will and won't except as inclusions or blemishes on the slate which look like oil marks. The suppliers will tell you that they are part of the natural proceess and there is nothing they can do but that's bollocks, they just want you to accept all that they take from the ground and have no wastage.............make sure you are clear in your specification for tender and good luck
alan d

Postby alanpb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Thanks Alan.

It has just been suggested to me that Welsh//Slate is regarded as being amongst the best slate there is. IS this true? What are the benefits/ downfalls of each type or location? Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks
alanpb

Postby alan d » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:02 pm

probably someone from Wales told you that, the Irish will tell you that their slate is the best :)

Slate for this wall that we did
http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/jpgs/A3_wing.jpg
came from a quarry in Aberdeeenshire. It has a silver colour and is highly textured. This is the nub I think. Slate comes in all colours and variations, dense and lively, green, grey and black, riven cut or ashlar cut.

Choose what you want in colour and texture Alan, then suss out the quarry that can supply it is my advice.
alan d

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:47 pm

hi alan,

I noticed that you emphasize a lot of the things that you want in your project. As is indicative of modern architecture and its inherent egotism. What about considering what is best for the people who will actually be using the building, rather than just making a post modern statement about your own "cleverness"?
Now that would be original!

robert kelly.

Of course, this might be your own building for your own personal use, and if so: do what the heck you like.

all the best.
cataclyzm

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:45 pm

Cataclyzm, reading through your spate of recent posts, are you ok? is there anything you want to talk to us about? we are quite a nice bunch on here, and we could probobly find 2 minutes to tear ourselves away from building our own monuments to cheer you up! :)

When we talk about what we want for buiding, be it material, space etc, we are referring to what we want to make the buliding great, to make it a superb place to work/live/whatever in. Not what we want to convey our sense of superiority.
Bingo Bango

Postby cataclyzm » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:13 pm

err....maybe....green slate!?
cataclyzm

Postby cataclyzm » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:16 pm

I was a little stressed out yesterday....so I think i owe alan an apology. Sorry alan...I'm not sure what came over me. Too much Mateus Rose at the weekend i think.
cataclyzm

Postby alan d » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:23 pm

That's ok mate, we all get a bit stressed out now and again. Wolf Blass does it for me.

Great to get another contributer on the UK site
alan d

Return to World Architecture