Irish Architecture in the UK

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Irish Architecture in the UK

Postby lexington » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:17 pm

Irish Architecture has traditionally been so-so - thankfully, Irish firms are waking up to demands for better styling, usage, quality etc etc. A number of Irish firms are pioneering new and innovative designs that are making international waves.

One of London's most attractive office developments in recent times has been the 12,000sq m, (9,280sq m of which are dedicated to offices), 11 storey building at 12 Arthur Street in London City's 'Square Mile'.

The building was designed by Irish firm Horan Keogan Ryan - and in my opinion is one of the most attractive yet simple designs I've seen in quite sometime, which harks back to old-style styling with a strong contemporary edge. It's the type of design I would hope to see more of in the regeneration and redevelopment of the Cork city docklands area.

With this building, HKR effectively broke a circle of architectural firms in London known as 'the big five' usually given heads up on this sort of project. (Est'd value = 75m euro).
lexington
Old Master

Re: Irish Architecture in the UK

Postby alan d » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:04 pm

I could think of 100 buildings by Irish Architects, 99 0f which would be more innovative and pioneering than this, bland, corporate americanised tat. Sorry

No Cork , for fecks sake No
alan d

Postby modular man » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:04 pm

I would have to go along with alan D on this one. It seems to me that this is a pretty unambitious scheme (having just seen one photo) and a lost oppurtunity . HKR have done better then this.

And they told me that the streets were paved with gold over there, this is clearly not the case in this photo!
modular man

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:47 pm

Terrible developer led rubbish but then we don't expect any more do we....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby lexington » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:39 pm

Well like I said, I suppose its a matter of opinion. And my opinion matters. As does that of each and everyone.

Another building of note, is the Clydesdale Bank HQ in Edinburgh, still trying to get a decent image of that one. Does anyone know the archietctural team behind that project? Was Terry Farrell involved?

Although I'm familiar with the development company and some of its directors, Cala Properties (their commercial division), I never took note of the design team.

If anyone else has some interesting Irish-designed UK projects, please do post (preferably with images).
lexington
Old Master

Postby what? » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:11 pm

that building is pure filth.
for some more interesting stuff by irish in uk try http://www.niallmclaughlin.com
or http://www.lyncharchitects.co.uk/
what?

Postby Doug C » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:13 pm

here's niall himself talking on a radio show last night about architect's homes, FLW and Erno Goldfinger.

You'll have to listen to a review of Ray Charles' film first but it's quite amusing and worth the wait to hear this irishman on the radio.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio3_aod.shtml?nightwaves_thu
Doug C

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 pm

hi,
i really don't care whether an architect is irish or latvian. i'm sick of all these national tags of excellence and the sooner we eradicate this stupid tag of national ingenuity....the better.
Creativity isn't just limited to one nationality or another and no one has a precendent in excellence. But please....save us from the downtrodden victims looking for some compensation from the world's consciousness. Whatever "nationality"
cataclyzm

Postby lexington » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:02 pm

This thread isn't trying to determine Irish architecture or talent as a prejudice against other nationalities. It was merely set up with the idea of documenting or commenting on progress made by Irish firms in a large market such as the UK. It is interesting to see how they are able to compete as a 'foreign' competitor and how their works may be influencing attitudes and design trends in that market.

It is not a 'nationality' boast - its more an interest on how one market is affecting another - call it economics if you will, only aesthetical economics. Whoever said creativity was limited to one nationality? Far from so.

Don't read to deeply into this one. And if it bothers you, why don't you set-up your own thread? That's the beauty of this thing. :)
lexington
Old Master

Postby alan d » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:10 pm

why don't you set-up your own thread?

bit pushed, eh Robert..............there's only an hour between the end of Emmerdale and the start of Countdown. There's a limit to the abuse you can heap in such a short period?
alan d

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:19 pm

hi,

i wasn't being personal or attacking any particular individual. I was simply stating the fact that so much of what we do is divided up into nationality. These forums being only one example.

It's up to you how you interpret that.
As for being abusive...believe me, in no sense was I being abusive.

all the best
robertkelly
cataclyzm

Postby cataclyzm » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:54 pm

Anger is is healthy....only up until the point when it becomes personally demeaning and childish.
cataclyzm

Return to World Architecture