Re: umm

Postby blue » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:31 am

Originally posted by chewy
bottom of smithfield market?
What? As stables during the horse market every month? :D
blue

Postby Rory W » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:39 am

Dunsink?

Whilst I approve of contemporary design (not these ones though) - I think this was the wrong locations for these. Should have gone for something that would have fitted in with the bridge's architecture. More metal (perhaps copper - which would look great when it weathered).

The design of these looks like a filled in bus shelter and the flagpoles only add to the clutter

in a word - crap
Rory W
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:14 pm

Considering they were designed as book stalls they would make excellent programme vending kiosks for a stadium. Either Croke Park or the redeveloped Landsdowne Rd would be perfect, the poles could be used for hanging County/Country banners,

Beyond that I think Rory's Dunsink might be a close second.
PVC King

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:31 pm

Good idea Diaspora.... they'd look pretty good as that....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

council climbdown

Postby Devin » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:53 pm

Passing by last night and the 16 poles on the Grattan Bridge container kiosks were being removed! Are the kiosks next??

And while they're at it they could remove those two grimy old flagpoles - one at the Wellington Quay corner and one at the Upr Ormond Quay corner - they serve no purpose.
Devin
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:14 pm

That's very interesting, are the CC putting their hands up on this? Going by the other day one of the worst views is from the corner of the bridge where it joins the north Boardwalk, all the poles accumulate in the view - depth of field and all that - and the clutter is truly extraordinary, and right infront of Sunlight Chambers.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:20 am

Its a pity they won't be in Croker in time for the Ulster final, but they have until September for the main events

http://www.lisney.com/subnav.aspx?tabid=3&tabindex=2&inc=commProperty&ID=944

The to let boards are down, but they are still being offered via the web,

I am getting confused they are prepared to licence them out but aren't advertising them openly.

They really ought to go :confused:
PVC King

Postby blue » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:03 am

Past there this morning and I had to do a double take I thought my eyes were deceiving me.
blue

Postby StephenC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:58 pm

Well after months (or has it been years) of activity the Bookstalls on Grattan Bridge are finally complete. I have to say that never was there such a poorly concieved and executed project. Ironically they are presently being used to trumpet some of the CCs latest prestige project such as the Spire and the revamp of City Hall. No sign of themn being used for their actual purpose which is bookstalls. On the whole I think the stalls are better for having had the light pylons removed. The finished paving around the base leaves a lot to be desired though. We shouldn't complain though as it will probably be dug up again soon enough due to the fact that the stalls will not be comercially viable. Personally, I think investing in a good all year round Dublin Market would have been a better option.

Elsewhere the Boardwalk extension (another expensive project - €3m according to the Indo this morning! €3m!) will be complete next months. At present the base has been erected and the Liffey wall breached in three places. Anyone have any idea what happens to all those granite blocks once they are removed. They must be worth a fortune.

Lastly along the Liffey is the new bridge down opposite 'chq' in the Docklands.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:31 pm

Were those granite blocks that were nicked some time ago ever found? The wall at Eden Quay is extraordinary, the blocks are so thick, much moreso than other quay walls in the city.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Diaspora

http://www.lisney.com/subnav.aspx?tabid=3&tabindex=2&inc=commProperty&ID=944

The to let boards are down, but they are still being offered via the web,

I am getting confused they are prepared to licence them out but aren't advertising them openly.

Why can't the City Architect just concede that he made a mistake and rectify it by removing them.

Barrets strike rate before this has been impressive, there is an architects touch in many of the good things Dublin has seen up to now such as,

O'Connell St (the implementation delays not his fault)

Henry St is a revelation who would have believed a decade ago that it would have a higher footfall than Grafton St?

Liffey House is one of the best contemporary buildings in Dublin and no doubt he had his influence there too.

The boardwalk which gives a great recreational asset to the City.

But the Kiosks just never translated from the drawing board to reality. They are bulky and the bridge simply doesn't have the scale to accomodate them.

They are also entirely out of Character with the bridge and surrounding architecture such as the Clarence Hotel and Sunlight chambers.

They also required planning permission as rateable structures, which they don't have.
PVC King

Postby StephenC » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Did anyone read the article on the new range of kiosks being constructed in the city in the Sunday Tribune Property section the weeke before last. Very interesting. Apparently there has been considerable interest in these structures and that three are close to being let. The DCC have also stipulated that no food retailers will be considered as this would compete with the two Boardwalk units currently occupied by coffee sellers. The range of retailers interested was quite impressive: booksellers, galleries, clothes, florists.

The article also considered the three new kiosks at various Luas stations. These are being considered for a new breed of convenience store. Call me a cynic but three new Spars beckon!

As the Centra slogan on QFm says ''We've got Dublin covered''. No arguement there.

I presonally am wondering why the CC didnt adopt a standardised design for all these units. The new kiosks planned for O'Connell St will be different again. A quick glance around Paris would show a uniform design to kiosks which have become identified with the city. Its a pity the same could not have been done here, particularly when the koisks are all placed so close to each other.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:46 pm

The first 'bookstall' opens for business today on Grattan Bridge. Its a florist...booksellers didnt seem to interested in the stalls. I wish them the best of luck but I have a feeling it will be a difficult spot to make a success of. The bookstalls look very sleek and modern when opened although a more colourful awning should have been used. They look a little bland and lifeless. Perhaps an opinion poll would be in order....
StephenC
Old Master

Postby yee haw » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:57 pm

I'll have to take a walk down for a look...yeah they're very bland alright...esp for the Irish climate...grey is never very sucessful...I've always felt that the pavement drainage channel is positioned exactly where you'd want to stand if buying something...and they're those very deep ones...I can see a lawsuit on its way! ;)
yee haw

Postby burge_eye » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:14 pm

Originally posted by StephenC
The first 'bookstall' opens for business today on Grattan Bridge. Its a florist...booksellers didnt seem to interested in the stalls. I wish them the best of luck but I have a feeling it will be a difficult spot to make a success of. The bookstalls look very sleek and modern when opened although a more colourful awning should have been used. They look a little bland and lifeless. Perhaps an opinion poll would be in order....

I'm sure these are a total rip off of something I saw in an AJ / AR or a RIBAAJ recently put can't find it. Anyone help?
burge_eye

Postby PVC King » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:36 pm

Any bets on how long the initial batch of traders will last?

I think there isn't really enough space down there for circulation once the counters are open. If they all last until Paddy's day I'll buy something from each them myself. How come no-one has a good thing to say about them, I think they look very clean and modern myself.
PVC King

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:00 am

Originally posted by burge_eye

I'm sure these are a total rip off of something I saw in an AJ / AR or a RIBAAJ recently put can't find it. Anyone help?

They are all to do with the 'Barcelonaisation' of our city.
phil
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:27 pm

Forgot I had these pics - the Grattan stalls from a couple of weeks ago. Apologies for resolution:
Attachments
grattan stall.jpg
grattan stall.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:28 pm

And a wider view of the bridge:
Attachments
grattan stall wide.jpg
grattan stall wide.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Lorcan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:13 pm

to be honest i think they're allrite. when are the o'connell street box things being put in?
Lorcan

Postby Devin » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:37 am

I expect the planning of the O'Connell Street ones to be better so as they don't end up with a drainage channel running across their pay points & their awnings tied to benches which were supposed to be for public seating.
Devin
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm

According to today's (27/10) Times Commercial Property "Work on the new Macken Street bridge, which will link the south and north quays, is to begin early in the new year". Anyone know if this is happening?
Rory W
Old Master

Re: Bridges & Boardwalks

Postby StephenC » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:34 pm

A second kiosk has opened for business housing a small art dealer. The actual effect of another stall opening is quite good. I understand a newsagent is next. Also interminable delays on the Boardwalk extension! Anyone know whats holding it all up? Do you think we'll see repaving of O'Connell Bridge as the next project along here.
StephenC
Old Master

Re: Bridges & Boardwalks

Postby Andrew Duffy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:55 pm

As far as I know, a pedestrian bridge is to be installed there - you can see the gap in the boardwalk where it is going.

It's mentioned here: http://www.dublincity.ie/planning/Draft_ContibutionScheme03.pdf
Andrew Duffy

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland