Most Beautiful Building in Cork?

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:42 pm

Apologies phil you are correct, it does deserve a different thread, maybe i was wrong to ask such a question in the first place, having spent my life in cork i guess i should have known better....!
Just thought there might have been something i had missed, or that people might have a different perspective on this potentially great city that would convince me otherwise. Having seen the images of buildings discussed on this site ,i guess Green is the order of the day.

(now how do i close this thread!?)
Nick

Postby phil » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:02 pm

As far as I know you cannot close a thread (but you were probably joking about that anyway) Also, I thought the original question you asked was really interesting. I am suprised it has not generated any more replies or more discussion, paricularly from the people who regularly discuss other aspects of Cork.
phil
Old Master

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:39 am

sad but true. when will we ever learn?
Nick

Postby bunch » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:11 am

what do people think of the boole library?

saw it recently in night time, for the first time in a few years, and i think its definitely up there with cork's best buildings- a real classic in my opinion. it a strong and commanding structure, but manages to avoid undermining the particular quality of the quad. it has also aged very well (so far) and is as 'fresh' as it was when first opened. in addition, it functions very well and is a very effective library space. anyone?
bunch

Postby phil » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:38 am

I remember seeing this from the outside and quite liking it.
phil
Old Master

Postby satanta99 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:04 am

Have to agree with you about The Boole Library. Before the GLuckman Gallery was built, the library was my favourite building. Although it is dated on the inside it will undergo substantial refurbishment in the near future. It has some of the best views in Cork. Especially on Q+3, in the south west corner, there is a fantastic vista of the city.
satanta99

Postby bunch » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:18 am

does anyone know anything about which side of the boole library is being extended. Tommy Barker, in today's examiner, seems to suggest it will be extended on the north side - facing the quad- is this the case? it would be a shame. surely the south side to the quarry would be preferable.

other favourite buildings

-old Cork & Limerick Savings Bank, Lapps Quay/Parnell Place
-old Lord Mayors House near Grenville Place (Mercy Hosp)
-Crawford & its extension to half moon st
-St Marys, Popes Quay
-Turners X Church
-Warehouses, Custom House Point
-College of Commerce Building (even better with its rooftop extension)
-firkin crane butter market
bunch

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:24 am

i love the boole and the complex of theatres and shops its definatly stood the test of time well and the space outside isnt bad either , Ucc is beginning to turn into a bit a hot bed for good stuff pitty about the blueGrey building next to it.
sorry cant get he examiner where i am, not sure where its being developed!sounds interesting though.
whats the new gallery like, havnt been home in 5 months.
Nick

Postby phatman » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:25 pm

The now-to-go ahead extension of the boole you mentioned is to be developed to the east of the current building, not in front of it , if that's what you feared. There really isnt a whole lot of room where it is to be built, i saw the drawing on the examiner, from outside the o rahilly building towards the library. From what i could make out it seems as if it's to be built over the avenue towards the gates on college road, which would be a real pity if im right, as in my opinion this is the nicest entrance to the college, affording great views of the quad on the way in.the design looks pretty good, fits in well with the surroundings, the same firm has designed libraries for harvard and yale among others in the us, so we can rest assured it'll be a quality job.should be complete around early 2007 sometime i believe. i agree with whoever complained about the "blue-grey" building next to it, thats the o rahilly building, doesnt fit in well at all, shouldnt be so bad when all those new trees mature though. That's what the whole area from the boole to the student centre is lacking, some tree-cover, very open as it is, can be bleak on a wet day.all we can do is wait, but the signs are good for ucc!
phatman

Postby Devin » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:42 pm

One of the finest and most overlooked buildings in Cork is the Old County Jail near UCC.( not the one in Sundays Well)

Only the south entrance wall with a severe Doric portico survives. Designed by the Pain Bros in the early 19th. C. it is a superb use of the Classical idion to create boldness and severity.

It is one of the very few works in Ireland to reflect the pared down style of Soane or Ledoux
Devin
Old Master

Postby Devin » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:16 pm

That last post (above) was by Ian L. of An Taisce (not Devin) - he grabbed my computer while I wasn't looking!

Me, I love the green vitrolite shoeshop shopfront on Oliver Plunkett Street. In fact my mother's from Cork & remembers this shop opening as a kid in the '50s. :)
Devin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:16 pm

Originally posted by Devin
One of the finest and most overlooked buildings in Cork is the Old County Jail near UCC.( not the one in Sundays Well)

Only the south entrance wall with a severe Doric portico survives. Designed by the Pain Bros in the early 19th. C. it is a superb use of the Classical idion to create boldness and severity.

It is one of the very few works in Ireland to reflect the pared down style of Soane or Ledoux

Very topical,

I had a feeling that wasn't you Devin
PVC King

Re: Most Beautiful Building in Cork?

Postby lexington » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:08 pm

Surprised no-body mentioned 'Bishop Lucey Park' - the "Peace Park" as a good example of open public space - small, but an important break in the rows of buildings that dominate the city centre. Cork as a whole suffers from insufficient public space. New parks will hopefully be realised at Horgan's Quay and a significant 27-acre park along the Carrigrohane Straight. The Kinsale Road Landfill is being converted to a new public park - with sporting grounds, a wildlife park, forestry and green-spaces. I have high hopes for this endeavour.

As for squares, plazas etc - the docklands represents the best opportunity to considerately create such spaces.
lexington
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:41 pm

One of my favourite of Cork buildings is UCC. But also the building that is presently occupied by Brown Thomas. Some of Cork's newly built buildings are also on the favourite list. Maybe even the airport when it is built. It's simple, but the roof makes it look elegant. And I realise that the last post to this forum (before lexington's) was late last year, but I wasn't registered then, so I'll have my say now. :)
A-ha

Postby Radioactiveman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:25 pm

lexington wrote:Surprised no-body mentioned 'Bishop Lucey Park' - the "Peace Park" as a good example of open public space - small, but an important break in the rows of buildings that dominate the city centre.

Agreed, it's a lovely spot.
Just to be pedantic about it however- Bishop Lucey Park is that park stretching from South Main Street to Grand Parade, the one which I believe you are referring to Lex. It is not and has never been officially called the Peace Park.
The peace park is that small green area at the corner of Grand Parade and South Mall which contains the Hiroshima/Nagasaki memorial and the WW2 memorial.

Its just a small thing, but it really bugs me and the confusion seems to be spreading.
Radioactiveman

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:42 pm

Maybe so - but Bishop L Park is known as as the Peace Park ...for reasons best left untouched...
d_d_dallas

Postby anto » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:30 pm

Funny but the Church of Ireland gave that land to Cork Corp and the Corpo named it after the most conservative catholic bishop of the last century
anto

Postby lexington » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:45 pm

d_d_dallas wrote:Maybe so - but Bishop L Park is known as as the Peace Park ...for reasons best left untouched...

:p Yeah, the less said the better...the spirit of the sixties still seems prevailent in many of the facility's patrons! :D Hmmmm.

Apologises RM - those misunderstandings can be irritating I know - but I'll take your word for it.

anto - that is indeed an interesting fact. The park is an important element of the city centre - it breaks up the cluster of city centre structures and provides an petite but important escape from the concrete and car-fumes. The CoI are to be thanked for facilitating this.
lexington
Old Master

Postby A-ha » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:36 pm

The City Hall has to get a mention too. I think it's most beautiful at dusk, while it is still bright outside but the lights eluminate it and it's refelection can be seen in the Lee.
City Hall at Night.
A-ha

Postby A-ha » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:56 pm

No more opinions on Cork's Most Beautiful Building. I thought they're would be loads of people giving their input. Ye gotta have some favs.
A-ha

Most Beautiful Building in Cork?

Postby lexington » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:34 pm

No.3 Paul Street - one of the most overlooked, and most distinctive buildings in the Cork skyline. Built I believe to compliment nearby St. Peter's & Paul's Church, the building is an invaluable contributor to the city's viewscape. It's use of Cork Limestone and red-brick blend elegantly, topped by a slated, skyline punctuating tower which peaks in a perfect V-shaped point, topped with spoked railings. I could well be wrong but I believe it peaks at just over 29m, perhaps 30m. If anyone has better info than me on that building, please share it. Would love to see some images of it up on this thread. I believe th building serves a number of functions nowadays, not least among them acting as a Cura Centre.
lexington
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:40 am

It's not this building I presume given your description, but I think I know the one you mean - very fine.

And perhaps not what you'd exactly describe as beautiful, and one of the oldest ones in the book I know, but Roches is a fine block of a building to quote ctesiphon ;) - and probably the only building I know of where white aluminum works reasonably well in places :eek:

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Devin » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:04 am

Some wonderful 20th century department stores along Partick's Street - the former Grant's:

Devin
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:08 am

A-ha wrote:The City Hall has to get a mention too. I think it's most beautiful at dusk, while it is still bright outside but the lights eluminate it and it's refelection can be seen in the Lee.
City Hall at Night.

There's a touch of Gandon about that building..
Morlan

Postby lexington » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:06 pm

Graham Hickey wrote:It's not this building I presume given your description, but I think I know the one you mean - very fine.

That's St. Peter's & Paul's, which externally and internally is quite spectacular - must get some inside shots some day. The detail is jaw-dropping. No.3 Paul Street is the building further north along that street at the 'T-junction' with Paul Street - quite inspiring. Thanks for the images Graham. I agree about Roches Stores - it just works well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devin - both the former Burtons and Grants Department Stores on Patrick's Street are beautiful pieces. I posted something of them in the LADSOCL thread many moons ago and for a long while I had been investigating their re-usage. The upper floors are predominantly for storage in both buildings, with tacky ground floor signage (shudder!). Though the Grant Store has some usage on the upper floors, it is hardly appropriate for such a fine building. My intentions were to rearrange the internal order of the building's floor usage to allow them open up into multi-tenant facilities whilst restoring their former glory. The Grant building would have had a complete elevation overhaul/refurbishment - much of the Patrick's Street facade has become grotty and ill maintained - the revamp would have rectified that. Existing tenants could be maintained, but would require realteration. For example, Burger King would have maintained its location, only it would be reorganised over 2-floors (equating to the same floor space), so as to free up access and usage to other tenants. The English Market entrance would provide main access to the building with a restructured interior to accommodate a dome-like ceiling-based light access feature, looped balconies and new tenant space. Current interiors are somewhat lacking.

I feel much of the same could be achieved with the Burton's store also, but on a smaller scale. It's a shame to see such magnificent buildings go to waste when they possess so much potential - even from the proprietor's stance, their renewal offers a source of increased revenue in the long-run.

Burtons

Grants
lexington
Old Master

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland