hadid to build in glasgow

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Postby kin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:10 pm

Just saw the image on the front of BD and am relieved by the simplicity of the form. Yeah, a big bent shed, like something crashed into the side of it.
the traditional boatyard shed seems like the ideal home for a load of disused vehicles.
Hopefully there wont be a disorientating route for visitors it would be nice to just roam about in a big shed
kin

Postby alan d » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:55 pm

............try following the ridge line or the parapet line and see where it gets you, if you can be bothered.

Absolute bollocks, unless you build it in tonk ( a universal material which was a gift from the Norse Gods mostly favoured by students of architecture , that allows you to build anything and in any shape and in any colour )
alan d

Postby kin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:01 pm

ok I tried that and it took me from one end of the building to the other
apart from a wee trapped valley in the middle it looks pretty straight forward

and please where can I buy this 'tonk'?
kin

Postby alan d » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:10 pm

you can get it in any first or second year studio in any school of architecture in the UK. Though I think it's available in all years at the AA

It stays in good condition over time, is easy to keep, cheap, a good insulator............also keeps the water out . Does'nt grow in any rainforest in Borneo either so pleases the Go Hug a Tree Society
alan d

Postby gweilo » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:33 pm

Totally agree with the sentiments on this thread. Big fan of Zaha but the report card is defintely must do better this time. The fact that she says in BD that this unexpected win was 'very nice' speaks volumes. I mean eh? Whenever I've been involved in a competition I always think we're going to win. If not why bother?. Take it you weren't really trying then. Must be galling for Hoskins' team who have obviously bust a gut. Doesn't Charlie Gordon realise that because Zaha spends virtually her entire life 5 miles up, or in the back of that London black cab, that she's never gonna make it up to the Glasgow site? It might help if we had decent international transport links but we're not exactly a hub. Is Zaha really going to slum it on the shuttle or easy jet? Terminal 1 is such a big place to get lost in after all. Could the same have been said for Gareth Hoskins who might have had something to prove? And why was ex head of Glasgow School of Art Dougald Cameron involved? Since when was he arbiter of architectural taste in Glasgow?
gweilo

Postby G » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:33 pm

'................... .public school teenagers in his office'

Where the hell did that come from?
G

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:40 pm

s'a caricature.

s'what happens when you become famous.
space_invader

Postby space_invader » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:01 pm

oh my god, i've just noticed:

hadid's design is not a big shed, it's simply..........

a big

Z

basically:

ZAHA WOZ ERE

innit?
space_invader

Postby Hugh » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:39 pm

Originally posted by alan d
............tonk ( a universal material which was a gift from the Norse Gods mostly favoured by students of architecture , that allows you to build anything and in any shape and in any colour )

Useful stuff this tonk, by all accounts. Lots of grown-up architects use it as well. Norman Foster has his own factory producing it:
Attachments
fostersagegateshead01a.jpg
fostersagegateshead01a.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Hugh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:07 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby gweilo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:05 pm

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Er no its a sea cucumber
gweilo

Postby G » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:16 pm

G

Postby simple minds » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:47 pm

Think it is excellent......much better than bridge image on the web site:)
simple minds

Postby space_invader » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:42 am

what do you think is excellent about it?
space_invader

Postby simple minds » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:32 pm

it has the opportunity to an excellent building, possibily best in Glasgow, quite dynamic...so much was promised for the Armadillo but failed to deliver...like most of the 'zoo of buildings' down on Clydeside....I see there is a new arena planned as well, out to design compeition...wonder whose signature this will have....could be interesting...
simple minds

Postby gweilo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:25 am

Looks overwhelmed / hemmed in by the scale of the commercial element to me. Also its so low by comparison. Where is the huge element 'like the side of a ship' promised by Charlie Gordon?

Simple minds, Norman Foster has already won the arena competition. Design interview so no images published as yet.
gweilo

Postby simple minds » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:36 pm

New OJEC out last week (October) for a National Arena at Glesga Green, sponsored by 'the Council'.......this is not the new Fosters Arena......no doubt an international competition....here we go again....!
simple minds

Previous

Return to World Architecture