Toronto Architects

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Toronto Architects

Postby L1 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:04 pm

Who's good to work for in Toronto/or where's a good place to look? Experienced Architect, moving to follow partners job, fussy bit anti-Mies, tried all the obvious places, with some exceptions, I'm struggling. To make matters worse, its Waterloo/Kitchener!!!
L1

Postby L1 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:45 pm

Oh dear, I didn't mean that to sound quite so desperate. What I really mean is I'm finding it hard to get my bearings. I need some sort of review, in London I could tell you who deserves the title of …most up & coming or most hardworking…or most up & gone..or best new avantgarde…or New brutalist, Old rationalist, Hi-tech, Urban folding digital thingy, ahem..the New British Architects etc. etc..(none of these categories actually speak to each other of course, it’s a cosy London scene). Can nobody run through things a little for me? I need a kind of a who's who. Perhaps there is a magazine I do not know of, or could it be that I am going to a freer lovelier place?:D
L1

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:44 pm

Have you tried the Ontario Association of Architects

http://www.oaa.on.ca/
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Toronto Architects

Postby L1 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:01 pm

Yup, I'm on it, now. Many thanks!
L1

Postby 4088123 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:32 pm

L1.....just wondering if you had any luck finding some "good architects" to work for in toronto.

i'm in a similar position to you...we are heading to toronto mid-2005 for my partner's work. i'm in my 4th year of architecture in australia, but i want to work for a year in toronto (i can claim up to 1 year work experience towards my uni degree).

please let me know if you have hints!

thanks.

www.http://www.cdnarchitect.com/

Postby T.O. » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:46 am

Look at this site. A lot of Toronto architecture news and listing well known Toronto firms.
Also look at Ryerson University's architecture website or University of Toronto's architecture site.
T.O.

Postby helloinsane » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:29 pm

Diamond Schmitt [http://www.dsai.ca] just got some new work so they might be hiring.

The OAA have job listings here: http://www.oaa.on.ca/client/oaa/OAAHome.nsf/web/Employment+Opportunities!OpenDocument
helloinsane

Postby 4088123 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:54 am

thanks for the links...they are a great help.

i am wondering about some of the titles used....eg. what is the difference between a "junior architect", "technologist", "intermediate architect" and an "intern architect"?

in australia we are only allowed to use the term "architect" if you have completed university and are registered with the board of architects (the govering body for architects). any positions prior to this are just called "architectural student" or "draftsperson".

i am in fourth year at uni (the course is 6 years + 1 year post graduate work) and have done about a year of work experience. what positions/titles would be appropriate for my level of experience?

thanks again for any info!

Toronto

Postby L1 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:13 pm

To be honest still struggling with the logistics of inhospitable climate, transport links, partners job, but getting closer hopefully.
I think if you are qualified with experience as I am it is harder to try to get established. Unlike London, Toronto does not have such a range of good practices, & good built work is harder to come by.
However if you are relatively young, it should be reasonable experience & you get to see another country.
L1

Postby 4088123 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:08 am

hope something comes up for you soon.

my partner is also considering london (it depends where he gets accepted for his fellowship). i'm happy to go anywhere...as long as i can either work or continue studying. but i think it would be a lot easier for me to get a working visa in the u.k.

if we end up going to the u.k. i'll have to get your advice on where to work...sounds like it can be a bit hard to break into the architecture scene in london!

Postby norfield » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:41 am

Thanks T.O for the refrence to ryerson I graduated from there, 5 yrs ago. Great school and Experiance

waterloo is a great area lots to enjoy
norfield

Postby L1 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:08 pm

Depends....real breakthrough is probably as difficult as it is anywhere, bit more so due to level of competition. But you know
London scene is so huge, there is room for everyone. There are the established Hi-tech practices, still building, still raking in the awards, smaller practices that really practice, and new currents & trends, like MUF, Caruso St.John etc..
L1

Return to World Architecture