Stirling Prize 2004

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Stirling Prize 2004

Postby Hugh » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:23 am

It's an even more varies shortlist than usual for this year's Stirling. How to compare Ian Ritchie's Spire in Dublin with Foster's Gherkin in London or Richard MacCormac's public-space regeneration, the Pholenix initiative in Coventry>

Also Peter "Archigram" Cook's Kunsthaus in Graz is there.

But no Future Systems Selfridges in Birmingham. And no Frank Gehry Maggie's Cenre in Dundee.

What do we make of this?

See the contenders at:

Stirling Prize 2004
Hugh

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:25 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Hugh » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:30 am

And now the ironic version: vote for the Gurning Prize:

Gurning Prize
Hugh

Postby ro_G » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:48 pm

Paddypower odds currently running at:

30 St. Mary Axe, London (The Gherkin) 5 - 2
Kunsthaus, Graz 4 - 1
The Spire, Dublin 11 - 4
Business Academy, Bexley 5 - 1
Phoenix Initiative, Coventry 3 - 1
Imperial War Museum North, Manchester 5 - 1
ro_G

Postby Hugh » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:56 pm

Difficult to see how the Gherkin can fail to win it.

Except that the favourite often does not. Remember the Eden Project being pipped by the somewhat flawed and now largely forgotten Magna centre in Rotherham?

Peter Cook/Archigram inspires enormous affection, so if I were inclined to bet I'd go for the Kunsthaus, his first completed building.
Hugh

Postby ro_G » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:27 pm

I hedged and stuck a tenner on The Gherkin and a tenner on the Phoenix Initiative, seeing as it has the ability to produce an awful amount of hyperbole.

Out of interest, can Joe Public paramble the interiors of the Gherkin or is only for prospective tenants?
ro_G

Postby PVC King » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:11 pm

If the Gherkin were a horse it would be 4/7,

I'll have 40 on it tomorrow, seeing as a night out costs a ton
PVC King

Postby space_invader » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:06 am

It will be the kunsthaus.

Because it is overseas, this will add further impetus to deliver the award to cook:

my god, if he has to go to the Austrians to secure a commission, the least we can do is give him a blue peter badge.

kunsthaus is great on an urban scale, sleepily bonkers on an aesthetic level and anti-functional in a contemporary-architectural kinda level.

It points the way, without realising it, to a soft future, where we bend the environment to fit our needs instantaeously: pliable environments which respond to spontaneity. Rooms appear from nowhere and surround you, materials that change their atomic structure because they can. But the kunsthaus is frozen – locked into one shape.

it's a vision from the future, somehow dragged back to our stone age workshop, and it's stranded here, locked into the form it presents now, a bubbly, purple bagpipe for perverts.

but then, did we not just score cook and his pals a RIBA gold medal the other year?

in that case, they’ll give it to foster for swiss re, cos he's reliable.

was majorly underwhelmed by this line-up for riba stirling.

gehry's not on the list cos it would've been three Scottish projects in a row, each a token gesture to illustrate great British diversity, and three times in a row the Scots would win nada, and RIBA can't be arsed with the hassle to be honest. Don’t blame them. The building by the wee Canadian man is pretty mediocre anyway - not a patch on page\park's maggie in Glasgow. Also, it is not going to win RIAS best building, for which it is shortlisted, either. Can you imagine if it was shortlisted for both and won RIBA-stirling but not RIAS best building? eh?

so, thankfully gehry's out the pic entirely.

that coventry stuff - flash forward 20 years - admire the advances JCB have brought to their demolition machinery. Next!

Spire - less architectural than bloody an turas, the 'skinning-up hut' in Tiree. (apparently that's what visiting surfer's do there).

spire cannot win. spire winning would be like some bizarre prank. how much did it cost to build anyway? can we have an inquiry? it's not world class architecture! where are the sycamore inlays? (I’m worried the scottish public will think, ‘sycamore inlays’ are the crucial element in ‘world-class’ architecture.)

war museum: just wondering – is the recent mass assault on liebskind actually a crazy pr stunt arranged by the man himself? I can’t move for newspaper and trade press articles knocking the dapper designer hobbit, saying ‘His powers are waning, his powers are waning!’ – because most of the articles are thee same, I presumed they were all mutations of the same press release.

Actually, war museum, is not bad architecture. Especially for a riverside regen project. Although I pretty much hate riverside regeneration buildings. Why are they always so fuckin massive? It’s like every designer that was ever given the chance to regenerate a bloody riverside can’t see past ‘re-inventing the shed.’ Unless, unless………

All that slagging in the press was a distraction cos we really love you danny, here, have a stirling prize (cos we’re not letting you build your fat spiky spiral either, so just take this bloody prize and fuck off will you, danny, you hyper-intelligent gimp.)

And on principal, no business academy should ever be allowed to win the stirling prize. (and it’s too much of an architect’s choice – a member of the public would never nominate this building and in my opinion, the winner should resonate, at least a little, with the public)

No selfridges? Yes, a shame. Even more of a shame that it was bagged with cook’s kunsthaus as two of a kind and came out the poorer as critics analysed the blobitecture phenomena.

Cook famously described his building as not blobby, not hi-tech, but crap tech and attempted to remove it from any blob-club that critics may have lumped it in. Selfridges, however, is actually even more lo-tech than the kunsty. A steel frame sprayed with concrete and render with shiny discs stuck on it.

Selfridges is a very interesting building on many levels – it has an ancestry going back over 100 years and that ancestry is tied directly into the development of both the micro and the macro – department stores were the host bodies for service technology (ventilation, electricals, telecoms,escaltors, etc.) as well as being catalysts for metropolitan re-organisation (urban design, planning, regeneration through shopping). So, it’s certainly something you can talk about a bit.

It deserved to be in there. It looks great on tv and in glossy mags.

And that’s what Stirling is all about, yeah?
space_invader

Postby ro_G » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:05 pm

Bexley Business Academy is looking hot
ro_G

Postby ro_G » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:17 pm

although i'm still glad i have a tenner on the Gherkin
ro_G

Postby ro_G » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:26 pm

and Forster comes home at 5-2.
ro_G

Postby PVC King » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:18 am

Originally posted by Diaspora
If the Gherkin were a horse it would be 4/7,

I'll have 40 on it tomorrow, seeing as a night out costs a ton

Drinks on Paddy Power tomorrow,

I feels like Hector
PVC King

Postby phil » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:25 am

Did anyone see the programme where the winner was announced the other night? Can it be viewed on any web-page or is there a repeat of at any time?
phil
Old Master

Postby Hugh » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:52 am

Hugh

Postby space_invader » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:22 pm

programme:

preferred the chaotic mess that waldemar cooked up, rather than the insightful, measured, reasonable show that mcloud landed us with.

wanted the wee soundbites from the R-kitects themselves - wanted presenter to be drowned out by clinking glasses etc.

swiss re then - spose it is pretty damn good.
space_invader

Postby phil » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:47 pm

Thanks for that Hugh.
phil
Old Master

Re: Stirling Prize 2004

Postby PVC King » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Swiss Re confirms £600m Gherkin sale
By FT reporters and Agencies

Published: February 5 2007 11:35 | Last updated: February 5 2007 11:35

Swiss Re confirmed on Monday that it had sold the distinctive Gherkin building in the City of London for £600m to a joint venture between German property group IVG Immobilien AG and Evans Randall, the Mayfair based private investment group.

The insurer, which owns the building at 30 St Mary Axe and uses it as its London headquarters, decided to sell last year to take advantage of rises in commercial property prices.
PVC King

Re: Stirling Prize 2004

Postby zelemon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 pm

a non qualified architect is using the title 'SMitharchitecture', surely this is not allowed under BCA?
zelemon

Return to World Architecture