call for papers: CONSERVING THE MODERN IN CANADA

World architecture... what's happening generally....

call for papers: CONSERVING THE MODERN IN CANADA

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:18 am

CONSERVING THE MODERN IN CANADA
Buildings, ensembles, and site: 1945-1975

The "Conserving the Modern in Canada" conference is seeking proposals (due 15 October 2004) for papers to be presented at Trent University, in Peterborough, Ontario from May 6 to 8, 2005.

This will be the first national Canadian conference on the conservation of the built heritage of the modern era and will focus on buildings, structures, districts and landscapes constructed between 1945 and 1975, and the issues related to their conservation and presentation. Conference participants will be architects, engineers, planners, landscape architects, conservation professionals, archivists, historians, academics, students, facility managers, owners and developers among others. http://www.moderncanada.ca
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:02 pm

That sounds really interesting,

Listing important modern architecture is equally important to listing the older ones.
Archers garage in Dublin, Ireland displays the fact that if a modern 'protected structure' is demolished the structure must be rebuilt as a reinstatement' and that every subsequent planning consent application is assessed as if the original building is still in existance. Therebye removing the incentive to demolish as it is a zero sum game.

I wish I had some holidays left!!!!
PVC King

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:22 pm

I know, I wouldn't mind going to this myself...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to World Architecture