Buildings of Vancouver

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Buildings of Vancouver

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:15 am

In the pursuit of my belief that if you stand still, you die.... here's the beginnings of an area on the architecture of Vancouver....

the photographs are all taken by a Vancouverite Derek Lepper...

we'll be adding more as time permits....

http://canada.archiseek.com/british_columbia/vancouver/index.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Vancouver ?'s

Postby h_h_arch » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:54 am

I recently moved from Vancouver and although it was a nice place to live with much to recomend it I can assure you the architectural situation is less than ideal. For example what is happening with the olympic commisions, no competitions etc.

It is not to say there aren't wonderfully talented architects there but I think anyone, even the Patkau's would admit to get a building built in Vancouver takes a lot more than talent. Not that this does not occur everywhere but in Vancouver I would say it is extremely suspicious, especially since I haven't heard anything about olympic design competitions or even tenders yet all the projects being proposed seem to be miraculously occuring.

The waterfront was sold to a Chinese consortium who altered it without visible consultation with the public and it is well known that certain political elements hire only a few firms on a continous basis thus effectively nullifying the young architect market.

Perhaps this would be a more realistic perspective on Vancouver buildings, seen from the environment in which they are built a building is of course not just a building.

I have no wish to make this a critisism of the architects there as Arthur Erickson is undoubtedly someone to be respected, the Patkau's, Peter Cardew and other's all spring to mind.

I would also invite people to find the web page for Todd Macallen and Stephanie Forthyse of Design build or Molo(Their furniture design company)
h_h_arch

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:25 am

How are the olympic projects being decided?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:35 pm

I love the facade of the Scotiabank Dance Centre, the contrast of the original building and the flowing glass. Is there a daytime shot?
MG

The Olympic Commisions for 2010

Postby h_h_arch » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:45 am

It seems that the initial work was given to firms who have connections within local government in a very quite manner.

Now I'm unfamiliar with the exact procedure but I have seen some renderings that went along with the bid proposal ,that is all, and have questions?

All the young architects in Vancouver I have contact with also seem completely in the dark to how these things are taking place.

Now perhaps it is through lack of knowledge on my part but I would be very interested to be shown the error in my thinking by anyone who is more aware of the process and to defend why this is a better system than competitions which seem to be a respected standard.
h_h_arch

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:13 pm

Why not ask the AIBC to make representations to the authorities?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Representations

Postby h_h_arch » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:05 pm

Yes, this is a good suggestion perhaps a member of the AIBC could pose the question at their next meeting as I am not a member.

If an AIBC member reads this I would love to hear how the AIBC responds.

Cheers,

HH
h_h_arch

Return to World Architecture