urban design controls - do they work?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

urban design controls - do they work?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Urban design controls
Ottawa Citizen

Design controls have a checkered history. Calgary has a rigorous design review process, and Houston has none whatsoever. Yet, it's hard to argue that one has better or worse buildings. In the hopes of improving architecture and urban design in the downtown core, the city of Ottawa is planning to add a design review to the development approval process. Starting early next year, to get a building permit, all proposals for new buildings must be reviewed by a panel and meet city-developed design criteria. "If development takes place under a clear set of urban design guidelines and design excellence becomes part of urban culture then I think that we will find ourselves living a city that the world envies," says Ottawa architect Ralph Wiesbrock.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=c5cb3955-2f03-4acb-a5e1-547a0a0fe47f

Can you realistically impose design criteria on a city?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:10 pm

and who decides?
FIN

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:28 pm

I assume you have a committee of architects or planners but then egos and friendships come into play....

perhaps just appoint me ;)
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:29 pm

i second that..lol.
yeah! egos and friendships will play a large part... Theoretically it is a nice idea but in practice i don't think it would work.
FIN

Re: urban design controls - do they work?

Postby PVC King » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:47 pm

Originally posted by Paul Clerkin
Can you realistically impose design criteria on a city?

We all have an opinion on the design quality of proposals and existing buildings, for example the Four Seasons Hotel discussed in the Horse Shoe House thread. How many people would have complained if that were proposed for a site at the airport?

The City planners are not imposing the very 'Worthy' design criteria as laid down in development plans. It is a pity but thankfully contemporary design standards are a multiple of what they were only a few short years ago.

Ultimately the market dictates what specification of building can be built in every sense from design quality through to the quality of plant such as air conditioning.

I think the Choice of Houston Tx was a bad choice for the free for all model by the author, as the oil industry has gauranteed a certain level of architecture due to the huge level of profitability and resulting prestige HQs.

Lima Peru or Mexico City would be better examples of a planning free for all ;)
PVC King

Return to World Architecture