what is architecture to you?

World architecture... what's happening generally....

what is architecture to you?

Postby BRG23 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:16 pm

hi if you dont mind sharing
what does architecture really mean to you
why do you like it
and why in the first place did you got interested on it?
BRG23

Postby j camp » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:09 am

architecture is a state of mind, a lifestyle, it's about ideas, and transfering those ideas to a suitable medium. As for "why do I like it", to me it is not about liking it, it is not a 9:00 - 5:00, this is my life, it is what I do, I live to design. My interests were gradual, there is not one piece or pieces of work that triggered inspiration, but a slow process of evolution into a lifestyle.
This is my opinion, how about yours?
j camp

Postby GregF » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:23 am

Architecture is the foundation stone of civilization .......it sets us apart from the animals.
GregF
Old Master

Postby h_h_arch » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:49 pm

h_h_arch

Postby mohanakrihna » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:13 pm

1] Architecture is an outcome of the human survival and wants,

2] coz for now i think, there is satifaction in creation.
mohanakrihna

Postby wonotusix » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:30 pm

confusing question ain't it? you know we come across so many theories that conflict each other, it's really hard to distinguish. so set apart the theory. (ummm if possible make one 4 yourself)
and my theory is architecture is all about comfort. you know right from visual comfort to physical comfort. and that's about it.
wonotusix

Postby Ainaa » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:57 am

To me, architecture is a usual thing we need, we want, we see, without realizing it. Its everywhere. For example, your probably reading this from a pc, or a laptop in or out or near a building. And that building in a way has something to do with surrounding. Architecture is part of culture, its an influential thing with religion, its- as someone before me said, a state of mind.
Ainaa

Re: what is architecture to you?

Postby rajiv » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:22 pm

GregF wrote:Architecture is the foundation stone of civilization .......it sets us apart from the animals.

architecture is not that apart us from the animals they build building in which they are comfortable.but what we feel about building makes us apart from animals. just think we hav no language we have no other skill than art of architecture would we differ from animals i think our language and presentation makes architecture more than one work of building
architecture is only for architects. normal people doesnt know what is architecture. they just want comfort and aesthatics. they doesnt know what is space what is volume how would you fill in single flore or double flore
they just want comfortable and good or different looking building. may building sizes matter them. only architect can criticise other architect's design in manner which he see his building. architecture is like religion it only matter who obey that religion. architecure is only for architects.
rajiv

architecture to me

Postby rajiv » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:26 pm

architecture is only for architects. normal people doesnt know what is architecture. they just want comfort and aesthatics. they doesnt know what is space what is volume how would you fill in single flore or double flore
they just want comfortable and good or different looking building. may building sizes matter them. only architect can criticise other architect's design in manner which he see his building. architecture is like religion it only matter who obey that religion. architecure is only for architects.
rajiv

Re: architecture to me

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:21 am

rajiv wrote:architecture is only for architects. normal people doesnt know what is architecture. they just want comfort and aesthatics. they doesnt know what is space what is volume how would you fill in single flore or double flore

thats really bold rajiv, and bold in architecture is good...but so is humility..a building is humble before god if it is designed for such a purpose is it not? i would hope that people who use my buildings know what architecture is, because it is their reactions to my interpretations that i will use to design. normal people do know what architecture is, they simply have and feel the need to use fewer words to describe form, space...but they are assuming an architect knows that they understand space, or insofar as the concept of space, and has therefore come to them to help them arrange it.. space is there, architects merely arrange it, fill it, open it up, or gather it. i am a normal person as well as an architect, at least as normal as one can be and still be separate from the person next to them, and people have individual integrity, just as buildings do. people are not cattle that are merely led into our works by the command of our critics, donºt confuse architeture with pop culture. many of the buildings and works your studying in school right now were conceived of, paid for, and built by normal people, not licensed architects (in terms of the current understanding). further, by the end of your conversation with the client, it is your responsiblity to assure your clients understanding of at least your architecture for them...if not...they may become your worst critic. good luck in your search rajiv,
aaron

Postby Shad_23 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:17 am

:rolleyes: Architecture to me, seeing as how i am still a student as well as a person who loves art as a whole.. I believe what attracted me to this field is the fact that you create your emotions on paper and you get to see your creation come to life.. from 1/4" to full-sized, it's an incredible feeling.. The emotion you feel towards your the property you are working on, and the atmosphere surrounding it, and imaging the people who will get to take part in the experience of walking through your mind. That's just a bit of why I chose this field..
Shad_23

Postby PTB » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:25 pm

I got into architecture only seriously in the past year after I discovered this site. But my interest in architecture goes back to when I was around 8 or 9. I used to make out loads of those 'dream house' plans. Since my father could build I wanted to become a builder too but I realised that I was too intelectual to become a builder. This then led me into architecture. I see it as in someway being an artistic profession. As someons said below it is like a religion which could be true because I come here every Friday or Saturday to worship - so to speak.
PTB

Postby birico » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:34 pm

to me,
1- it's the image of unconscious collective or individual
birico

Postby arki_shw » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:44 pm

Hi there,
Its really nice discussion that has been started...so many differences of opinions...yeah?
I wanted to become an architect when i was 12...n i always wanted to become an architect coz i love arts and creativity n good at it! But hold it there....Architecture is not about only Art! What an indivisual likes or dislikes is totally a subjective matter. Architecture has been there alive since adam n eve appeared on this beautiful earth. It was always there.. Man had always found his ways to fulfill his needs. Right from the stonehenge era till the industrial revolution Architecture has always been there without the consent of Achitects! The great architecture was the gift of mathematicians, musicians, sculptures, painters..there were No Architects! People built great buildings then too! So Architecture is not for architects...its all about the community, civilisations. All great civilizations are still a master piece of there times. For example Harrappa, Mohenjodaro, Roman, Greek....Maya!
Architecture is an objective subject no matter what an architect wants or feels! He cant build a structure purely to satify his subjective desires. He can never overlook the user who is going to reside in! he has to come out of his ME n satify the needs of this community accordingly! So architecture is not for architects! N its been always there.... we architect are being into the profession entitled to serve our knowledge and skills thats it. And i really feel that we should do something to wipe out this image people have in mind and contribute to the world of architecture!
arki_shw

Postby ism » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:58 am

Bringing imagination into reality in practically possible way to best suit the requirment and functionality of the design project.
ism

Postby gaurav_agrawal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:57 pm

I feel it is creating experiences. It is about creating certain feelings in a persons mind (user) whether he is an architect or a common man by the use of architectural language, yet the building is functioning as a human body does.
gaurav_agrawal

Postby vietnamese Arc. » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 pm

I am Vietnamese architect. I learned architecture in my country, one architecture is not really develope. it is not eseasy to do architecture well. With me, architecture is not arround beautifull houses. bad envairrement of pepole ,but i love architecture very much.
it is boring when some foreign archietcts came to my Vietnamese country for architectural design, they made architectural houses bab. Why? Beaucause they came my country to earn money . Beaucause they are not good architects, Beacause they do not love my country architecture. Architecture with me is deficult to do well.So that i know only that architecture is things I have to love and do well for around peope.
What do you think about this story?:)
vietnamese Arc.

Postby vietnamese Arc. » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 am

-
vietnamese Arc.

Return to World Architecture