The Canadian Museum for Human Rights

World architecture... what's happening generally....

The Canadian Museum for Human Rights

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:31 pm

Friends of The Canadian Museum for Human Rights Inc. announced today the 30 architectural firms selected by the Architectural Review Sub-Committee (ARC) in Stage 1 of the International Architectural Design Competition for The Canadian Museum for Human Rights. They were chosen from almost 500 architectural firms internationally who indicated their interest and 63 who answered a Call for Expression of Interest in Stage 1 of the competition. The Sub-Committee members are Ms. Gail Asper, Mr. David Covo, Mr. Gustavo Da Roza, Mr. Robert Fulford, Mr. Moe Levy and Dr. Raymond Moriyama. The 30 firms, spanning 12 countries (Canada, U.S.A., South Africa, Germany, India, Spain, El Salvador, Norway, Australia, Denmark, Austria and the U.K.) from five continents (North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia), are:

Antoine Predock Architect, USA
Architects for Human Rights, El Salvador
Ashton Ragatt McDougall Pty Ltd (ARM), Australia
Behnish, Behnish & Partner Architekten, Germany
Charles Correa Associates, India
Coop Himmelb(l)au, Austria
Cote y Terradas, Arquitectos, Spain/Canada
Dan Hanganu & The Arcop Group, Canada
Diamond and Schmitt Architects Incorporated, Canada
Douglas J. Cardinal Architect, Ltd, Canada
Gehry Partners, LLP, USA
Marosi + Troy/Jodoin Lamarre Pratte/Architects, Canada
Mashabane Rose Architects, South Africa
MEDIUM/Tomizo Yamamoto Architect, Canada
Michael Fieldman, Architect, USA
Michael Maltzan Architecture, Inc., USA
Moshe Safdie and Associates Inc., USA
Saia Barbarese Topouzanov/Tetreault Parent Languredoc Architectes, Canada
Saucier + Perrotte Architects, Canada
Schmidt Hammer & Lassen, Denmark
Schwartz Architects and EHDD Architecture, USA
SITE, USA
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, USA
SNOHETTA, Norway
Studio Daniel Libeskind, USA
Sturgess Architecture with IBI Group/Stecheson Katz Architects, Canada
TEN Arquitectos and Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects, USA/Canada
VanTine/Guthrie Studio of Architecture and Neumann/Smith & Associates USA
Zaha Hadid Architects, UK
Zeidler Partnership Architects, Canada

http://canada.archiseek.com/news/2003/000059.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby shadow » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:33 pm

Again what's the point, how is it possible that every city and country in the world seeks to have the same few architects design their buildings? This pretence of the democratisation of luxury is without any real soul. Prada for everyone.
shadow

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:45 am

The eight firms shortlisted, spanning five countries (Canada, Denmark, India, South Africa and USA) and four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe and North America), are:
Antoine Predock Architect USA
Charles Correa Associates India
Dan Hanganu Architects & The Arcop Group Canada
Mashabane Rose Architects South Africa
Michael Maltzan Architecture, Inc. USA
Saucier + Perrotte Architectes Canada
Schmidt Hammer & Lassen Denmark
Schwartz Architects and EHDD Architecture USA
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:30 pm

Been to see the exhibit - Schmidt Hammer & Lassen's proposal appeals to me the most.

I have a few of the entries up here ( http://canada.archiseek.com/unbuilt/manitoba/winnipeg/cmfhr/index.html ) - will have the remainder up today
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby L1 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:36 pm

Actually not a particularly starstruck shortlist, I'm sure you'll agree
L1

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:32 am

No its not - the jury obviously judged "blind" and went for the best proposals instead of the star names...

Mind you, the growing fuss over Gehry and the AGO in Toronto may scare off organisations from selecting a star name...
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby FIN » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:37 pm

is it just me or is every similiar building getting designed all look fairly similiar?
FIN

Postby FIN » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:40 pm

sorry i didn't put that right... what i mean is that some of those designs look nearly the same as a building all over the world
FIN

Postby MG » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:56 pm

MG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:09 am

I like the Schmidt Hammer & Lassen concept too. Some of their other work is interesting.

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/schmidt_hammer_lassen/features.htm
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:52 am

When is the decision?
I see that Roisin Heneghan is on the jury.
MG

Canadian Human Rights Museum

Postby tom mcmahon » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:01 pm

RE: Schmidt Hammer proposal. The design is very similar to the Australasian Legal Information Institute logo design, which has also been modified for the Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute, South African Legal Information Institute and the World Legal Information Institute (the latter three designed and developed by the Australasian Legal Information Institute. All these designs can be seen at http://www.austlii.org. The design is elegant and beautiful - and, I would suggest, not particularly original.

Tom
tom mcmahon

SHL Denmark

Postby arktikmedia » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:26 pm

Hallo.

Jeg er web og grafikk designer fra http://www.ArktikMedia.com i Winnipeg, Canada.

Jeg skriver angående Human Rights Arch konkuransen.

Jeg har bodde flere år i Norge og Danmark. Jeg er veldig glad for å se at Schmindt, Hammar and Lassen K/S ( http://www.shl.dk )er invlovert i Human Rights Arch competition i Winnipeg. Jeg vil at dere vite at jeg har skrevet en stor anbefaling til de ansvarlige personer hos kontoret på konkuransen i Winnipeg. Jeg selv bodde i KBH og har sett flere bygg som de har tegnet og skapet. Veldi veldi bra.

Schmindt, Hammar and Lassen K/S kommer til å ble det beste Winnipeg motta. Jeg ønkse De det beste med prosjekten. Jeg anbelfaler at dere får oppgaven til å tegne/bygge Human Rights Museum i Winnipeg.

HÃ¥per vi ses i Winnipeg.

Hilsen,
http://www.arktikmedia.com
info@arktikmedia.com
arktikmedia

Postby arktikmedia » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:29 pm

Hallo.

I am a web and graphic designer from http://www.ArktikMedia.com here in Winnipeg.

I have spent many years (7 yrs) in Norway and Denmark living, studying and exploring and I can assure you that Schmindt, Hammar and Lassen K/S ( http://www.shl.dk ) of Denmark will be the highest of quality, innovation and design for this project. I have always been captured by their timeless designs beautiful structures, lines and materials. Scandinavian is internationally known for its design for hundreds of years. While I was living in København (Copenhagen) I always found myself stareing at the beautiful well known Royal Danish Library "Svart Diamond" (Black Diamond).

This arch group will be the best Winnipeg will see, for those who do not know, this is a privilege for Winnipeg.

Please click this link below as it shows a great design in their
home land.

http://www.shl.dk/pages/03_Projekter/01_Kultur/KB/html_site/hele_KB_e.html

Ha en fin dag, have a great day.

Best regards
http://www.arktikmedia.com
info@arktikmedia.com

* Vi gir de det beste kvalitet for lave priser.
arktikmedia

Postby helloinsane » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:31 pm

I suspect any supposed resemblance to antipodean legal information bureaux logos is entirely coincidental. Perhaps they could advise under what circumstances suggestions of plagiarism are considered libellous? And would Aer Lingus be able to take a [retroactive] case against the estate of Michael Scott?
helloinsane

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:01 pm

Good parallel H.
Once you start looking at graphic design, you will see that there isn't a whole lot of originality out there - similarities are rife. Graphic design is also so widespread - every organisation has a logo that sooner or later you can find a source for everything.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby tom mcmahon » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:18 pm

Yes, I suppose it is correct that sooner or later almost anything looks like someone's logo. I am sure the design is entirely coincidental and not plagiarism in any way.

Tom
tom mcmahon

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:09 pm

Last three are....

Antoine Predock Architect USA
Dan Hanganu Architects & The Arcop Group Canada
Saucier + Perrotte Architectes Canada
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby helloinsane » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:19 pm

I'd like to see Saucier get it. They're an interesting firm and have been producing some very solid work lately.
helloinsane

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:24 pm

I'm with you on that... though I liked the Schmidt Hammer & Lassen proposal....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Andy6 » Mon May 03, 2004 6:52 pm

At this point, it has to be Saucier. It's a really solid proposal compared to the other two.
Andy6

Postby MG » Mon May 03, 2004 7:11 pm

I agree - the native american imagery is a little obvious and may date considerably. Whereas the Saucier + Perrotte concept has the potential to be a classic piece of architecture for Winnipeg.
MG

Postby Kjell » Wed May 05, 2004 11:20 pm

The Saucier and Perrotte design is growing on me. At first glance I thought that it was a bit boxy (I tend to favour more organic forms of architecture) but the green "ribbon" running through the building offsets this as does the transparency.

I also like the Antoine Predock design (am I the only one?) but looking at the diagrams it was a bit hard to get a sense of the layout. Like Lisa Rochon in the Globe and Mail article I was a bit mystified why they placed offices in the parts of the building that could make some of the best public spaces. The glass "cloud" was also a bit vague and it seemed like something that might be difficult to build in that form. I am no expert but it also seemed like using that much glass might pose some problems with climate control within the building (considering that this is a museum). Although there was a bit of a "disneyish" feeling to the design it was also the most visually striking (at least to me).

Not a big fan of the Hanganu design. It seemed much too inspired by indigenous forms considering that this is a building which will deal with universal human rights.
Kjell

Postby MG » Thu May 06, 2004 12:50 am

I think the Saucier + Perrotte design is quite a "european" piece of architecture - quite sophisticated in an understated fashion without resorting to needless imagery and allusions. By all accounts the use of indigenous imagery would be a bit cheeky considering Canada's approach in the past to the native peoples.
MG

Postby Kjell » Thu May 06, 2004 9:05 am

Hmm... yeah. Considering the subtlety I think that the materials used in the Saucier + Perrotte design will make a big difference as to whether it is a successful building or not.
Kjell

Next

Return to World Architecture