Cork - patrick street regeneration

Postby StephenC » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:01 pm

...do you mean you don't like the lamps? Speak English man!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:51 pm

pana report

Here is a humerous account of the Patrick Street regeneration. From reading the posts on this so far, its looking like the Dubs are about as excited about this as the Corkonians were about the Spire.
bloke

Postby pvdz » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:22 pm

Jesus why all the hostility already! I walk down Patrick every day now and I think it looks fantastic!

I also dont understand all the jibes about getting 'urban designers' involved? Gali's office is one of the most inventive and reputable urban design offices in the world and has won many jobs internationally after the enormous success of their urban planning projects in Barcelona. In fact the office has only ever done about 2 or 3 buildings, the rest is all public space!

I also think the lights look great and the only problem I have with them is that maybe there is too much of the concented lighting elements. Gali's idea behind these lights (which she has used successfully in many other projects) is that the urban space is an outdoor theatre or film set and these concentrated elements are spotlighting for the show, Thanks Shakespeare. This is used to stunning effect on the beach in Barcelona, from the marina leading up to the two Olympic village towers, (near Gehreys little splayed house sculpture). Here, the situation of being on the edge of the city isolated in spots of blinding illumination makes one feel incredibly aware ones self in the city and of the enormous expanse of ocean beyond.

However I dont think this will work as well in Cork as there is so many spotlights and diffused elements that there is no longer any element of contrasting darkness in the street which is a vital part of the idea.

I also think the paving has worked out beautifully. There is a range of about 7 different types of stone from local (Kerry red limestone) to more affordable Spanish stone. It's refreshing to sea that Gali hasn't used the granite blanket blitzkreg approach to repaving which has been used so brutally and insensitively in many other historic european cities. A good Irish example of this hegemony of ocularisation in urban planning is Henry street in Dublin which has the character of a morgue! And of course arriving 10 years after everyone else on the other side of that huge North sea realised this was not always a successful solution!
pvdz

Patrick's Street Cork redevelopment

Postby anto » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:53 am

Does anybody have any news on how this is progressing? Any pictures maybe. Must be more advanced than Dublin's Main Street.
anto

Postby sw101 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:26 am

Still looks like hell. Paving up all over the place. Mess.

The new streetscape down by the lee end is a disaster. Street furniture is awful and the undulations and pitfalls in the new footpath layout is a series of lawsuits waiting to happen
sw101

Postby bunch » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:54 am

progressing quite well i think, moving fairly quickly and seems to be well managed in terms of disruptions etc. overall, i think it is beginning to look good and the quality of workmanship and finishings appears to be of a high standard, however, the rubbish bins are poor.

it will create a few interesting new pedestrian spaces, which are already emerging as focal points along the street. the lamps are interesting and have grown on me over time. the paving, i think, works well too
bunch

Postby anto » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:16 am

anto

Postby d_d_dallas » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:26 pm

Hadn't seen the street in ages - was very surprised to see how much is finished. It's looking exceptional - although the lights bug me. Overall a very good thing - the creation of mini plazas dotted along the curve of the street works well. This will serve our second city well for years to come.
d_d_dallas

Previous

Return to Ireland