Smithfield, Dublin

listed building in Smithfield

Postby TC » Sun Oct 22, 2000 9:31 pm

Does anyone know if that building that had the fire on Sunday afternoon is listed? Four storey brick facade three doors from the Cobblestone pub?
TC

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Oct 22, 2000 10:40 pm

To be honest I have no idea, perhaps James Kelly could answer this???

But I did get this

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:18 am

Is that the one that looks like someone is restoring it?
MG

Postby James Kelly » Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:11 pm

No 80 North King Street is List 2 on Dublin Corporations Current Development Plan. It dates (Lower half) from the early part of the 18th Century and upper parts from approx 1830. List 2 allows demolition only in 'exceptional' circumstances. Arson is suspected, needless to say Dublin Corporation are refusing to use their powers under new listed building legislation to force the owners to repair the damage, roof it and make it secure, they have instead limited the preservation of the building to propping and temporary works for the sole purpose of allowing the street to be re-opened on Thursday.

By the way the building being restored is no 81 next door.

james
James Kelly

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 24, 2000 11:50 am

Well i saw the fire, and it was well started on different levels at the back before there was any sign of the Fire Brigade - that looked dodgy itself.....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby e.carr » Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:19 am

The West side site is a real opportunity to
complete the Plaza but I have to agree with JK and say that the current proposal
lacks imagination and social purpose, an
altruistic concern so many Irish people
have pushed to one side now that they do
have the money to spend. As for the huge
lamp standards, what is an appropriate response from the west side site??? Perhaps
a Dublin version of the "Ramblas" could yet
be created.
e.carr

Postby e.carr » Fri Nov 03, 2000 12:48 am

Is this debate over???
e.carr

Postby e.carr » Fri Nov 03, 2000 12:54 am

The new Law Society building is a badly
proportioned piece of work not deserving
the aforementioned plaudits...

Why is new Dublin architecture so restrained
and lacking authenticity??? It always seems
like a poor man's version of our superior
European contemporaries.
e.carr

Smithfield Square is Burning Down.....

Postby Shane Tiernan » Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:45 pm

What does everybody think of the recent spate of burning buildings in Smithfield.

Approx 3 months ago two of the oldest buildings on the North Square of Smithfield Plaza were burnt down. The Green Party got a preservation order that prevented them being knocked down completely.[1]

Then a week ago Smithfield is once again blocked off because the building NEXT DOOR has also burnt.

This smells too much of coincidence to me. How strongly are these cases investigated? I presume that these buildings are being burnt down to shortcut the process to get permission to demolish these buildings, making way for 'progress'

Regards
Shane

[1] A week later another building along the north quays also went up in smoke
Shane Tiernan

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Nov 03, 2000 4:47 pm

Did these two just not collapse one night?

"Approx 3 months ago two of the oldest buildings on the North Square of Smithfield Plaza were burnt down. The Green Party got a preservation order that prevented them being knocked down completely.[1]"
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby JK » Sun Nov 05, 2000 3:55 pm

Re: the two 'early' buildings:

Yes they were the two earliest structures remaining on Smithfield slightly older than our own building which was built in 1730.

Originally they were a single house four bays wide, with a pair of gables to the third floorwhich were removed during 19th century alterations which also split the original building into two.

No they did'nt burn down. The rear wall of one of the two buildings was mysteriously 'pulled out' one weekend which weakened both buildings to such an extent that they became structurally unstable thereby necessitating the demolition and facade retention works carried out by Dublin Corporation.

As to the second building no 80 - on the night of the fire two weeks ago I was informed by the fire officer present that the fire had been set 'professionally'.

As to investigation - the Corporation does not regard it as their responsibility and as none of these buildings was insured no forensics investigation has followed.

Regards

JK
JK

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Nov 05, 2000 4:14 pm

JK, the fired building, I live in the apartments nearby and was watching the fire from the roof, long before the Fire Brigade turned up there was flames on different levels, flames that seemed like smalle seperate fire... it seemed to me that the fire had been set deliberately....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby JK » Sun Nov 05, 2000 4:24 pm

Paul

You are almost certainly right about the cause of the fire in no 80 being malicious. My only caveat is that on very rare occassions it is possible for a fire at a lower - say - ground level to cause a series of smaller fires at higher level as a result of hot gases rising and upon being trapped under soffits, furniture and horizontal surfaces, to spontaneously erupt. However if yo uare certain that you witnessed a number of spontaneous fires at the same time I would suggest that you contact the fire officer in Phibsboro Fire Station, Dublin Corporations Conservation Officer and the Gardai in the Bridewell as this information would be of use to them.

JK
JK

Postby Shane Tiernan » Tue Nov 07, 2000 12:51 pm

Admittedly I was a bit scant on details, but the coincidence was too much for my stomach to bare. I would love to see the perpetrators prosecuted, for criminal damage/arson and endangering life, and whatever is appropriate.

In my dreams,
Shane
Shane Tiernan

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Nov 17, 2000 4:56 pm

I agree with mr. carr on the law society building - and looking at it, i believe it will wear very badly....

this is the building planned for the duffy site on smithfield....

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby e.carr » Sat Nov 18, 2000 2:07 pm

thanks Paul for the picture of the Duffy site. I notice the artists impression tells
a few lies about the shadows cast onto
Smithfield. The lamp standards themselves cast shadows half way up the Smithfield village before sunset so imagination what these 6-8 storey blocks might do???
e.carr

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Nov 18, 2000 4:47 pm

I'd say its intended to be morning or early afternoon, the eastern faces are lit by sunlight in the drawing.....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby MG » Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:49 am

Mr Jim Keogan, project manager for the HARP (Historic Area Rejuvenation Project) IAP, said an events manager had just been appointed to arrange a series of "compatible events" in Smithfield, including major concerts from next spring. He said 12 events had already been booked for the new civic space and the corporation was also hoping to develop a market there. The traditional monthly Smithfield horse fair had been accommodated, with much improved management.
MG

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Jan 29, 2001 11:56 am

the hearings are tues / wed / thurs this week in The Gresham Hotel.....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Smithfield Market Development

Postby Pedro » Tue May 17, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi,

Anybody know what firm designed the new(er) Smithfield market development. Contact details would be a bonus ;)

Pedro.
Pedro

Re: Smithfield Market Development

Postby kefu » Tue May 17, 2005 4:12 pm

The development's webpage is at:-
http://www.smithfield-market.com
kefu

Postby Pedro » Tue May 17, 2005 7:22 pm

Nothin on the architects there - thanks anyway.
Pedro

Postby ibot » Tue May 17, 2005 11:10 pm

i think it's Horan Keoghan Ryan, who are working with a danish urban design firm, and an english architecture practise. i can't remember the names of the foreign offices though :confused
ibot

Postby JJ » Wed May 18, 2005 9:25 am

http://www.hkr.ie/smithfield_page1.htm

It was HKR alright. Only scant detail on this link though.

JJ
JJ

Postby kefu » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:48 pm

This development is all but complete now.
A particularly interesting feature after they topped out the tower is an almost Byzantine style mosaic around the top floor. Well worth taking a picture if anyone has a camera.
kefu

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland