Sam Stephenson is Seventy this week

Sam Stephenson is Seventy this week

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:55 pm

Assess Sam Stephensons legacy Discuss
PVC King

Postby GregF » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:26 pm

Thought he was dead .....hee hee!

Personal chaffeur at one time to C J Haughey sums him up.
GregF
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:35 pm

As some things should be kept confidential I shall not disclose his address but I doubt he would be a member of any conservation org.

I must admit that I like the Central Bank particularly when viewed coming down the Quays from about the Croppies Acre to Queen St.

It is a pity he was ten to fifteen years to Early for the IFSC he could have really come into his own there.

As time goes on the merit of the Central Bank design will probably eclipse the memory of the civic offices
PVC King

Postby d_d_dallas » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:45 pm

He's done some great buildings - some controversial - I think the fact people are still talking about them is a good thing - esp when compared to the pallid anaemic work that populates Dublin City Centre these days (cough - Docklands). Being in bed with CJH no doubt helped get the plum commissions - but at least he wasn't afraid to try something once he got them. That isn't to say it's all good - merely he had the balls...
d_d_dallas

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:12 pm

Happy Birthday Sam,

You had the Balls and the understanding of modern Architecture at a time when reall crap was called gentrification.
PVC King

Return to Ireland