RealCork.com

RealCork.com

Postby lovecork.com » Tue Aug 15, 2000 1:51 pm

Excellent site - Should have one for Dublin. Funky graphics too.
lovecork.com

Postby bunch » Mon Sep 04, 2000 10:29 am

realcork is an act of utter irresponsibility.It highlights problems(well done) and it portrays the only solution to be writing letters to officials in the corporation. Basically it places the responsibility on the corporation for cleaning up our litter every time WE drop it.A clean city, is one that does not need countless bins( such as Stockholm), but has environmentally responsible citizens/individuals, not a city with a collective attitude of dependency, and allocating blame for our general bad habits on local govt. bodies. REALCORK you do a good job illustrating the problem You FAIL miserably in offering solutions. Drop your cameras and cop on.
bunch

Postby mht » Mon Sep 04, 2000 11:36 am

surely the solution offered by realcork is the awareness it provides ... it is only from this that people can see the damage that is done and have the cop on to do something about it themselves ...

ps i'm living in stockholm at the moment and i don't really agree that its as 'clean' as everyone seems to think ...
mht

Postby Paddy O' » Mon Sep 04, 2000 12:55 pm

It's when you see the likes of the filth and neglect as seen on the realcork.com website that you realize that there is perhaps some truth in the stereotype notion of us Irish as been thick, dirty and lazy.
Paddy O'

Postby Bernini » Mon Sep 04, 2000 1:03 pm

Ah yeah 'bunch'- 'drop your cameras and cop on'you say........ and the dirt might go away.What's that saying again 'Out of sight, out of mind'
Bernini

Postby bunch77 » Mon Sep 04, 2000 4:30 pm

Bernini, I agree that our filthy habits should be exposed, on the internet, t.v., newspapers, wherever. But does REALCORK address the problem.I think not, because it suggests that our attitude towards waste should be to regard it as someone else's responsibility i.e. the corpo. Again, my point is that cleaning up cities, as well as exposing the problem, should involve identification of the cause of the problem also. Good point mht, awareness is important, but here in Cork we shouldn't need a website to tell people how dirty parts of the city are, we see it in real life.
bunch77

Postby Bernini » Mon Sep 04, 2000 5:04 pm

Point taken...but the website has budged a few with results to be seen and that can't be bad........(ie regarding the 'results section') potholes on the road at Scart hill have been repaired,a section of pavement has been repaired too outside the tourist office and part of the river has been cleaned, ie the removal of an unsightly shopping trolley that had been there a long while. So somebody has been shamed into doing something whether it be the Corpo or whoever. Anyway uneven pavements and potholed roads are the responsibility of the Corpo who are also responsible for the general maintenance of the city..... and all under the guidence of the councillor gits that we elect who make the laws that govern the people. I find too that generally well maintained areas are never vandalized as much as areas that are generally neglected.
Bernini

Postby E Mc Loughlin » Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:16 pm

With regard to Bunch's comments, it is the Corporation's responsibility to clean the streets, and it is what they are given tax payers' money to do! We might appear as dirty and ignorant because the Corpo's cleansing department does not do its job. I don't believe we are any more dirtier than other peoples in Europe ~ I rarley witness people throwing litter on the ground for the sake of it ~ and to believe we are lets the Corpo of the hook.
E Mc Loughlin

Postby mht » Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:56 am

well in fairness i must say that as a nation our litter problem is fairly bad E McLoughlin ... if people don't throw litter on the ground then where does it come from ?? its hardly blown in from europe now is it ...

does anyone know if there have been many successful prosecutions by litter wardens ??? and on the point of corporations not doing their jobs ... they bought a machine to remove chewing gum from pavements years ago (at least 3) in limerick and it has never been used because of work practices within the corpo .... pathetic really
mht

Postby bunch » Tue Sep 05, 2000 9:38 am

McLoughlin, the belief that the corpo or whoever else is responsible for picking something up every time we drop it is the attitude that I was talking about.The corporations and councils, remember have fairly limited resources(they do not receive taxes from their citizens, but from central govt.) and have been lobbying for extra cleansing dept. staff, increased powers for wardens. It is in their interests to have a clean city, for inward investment, tourism etc.. Mht. as far as i know, litter wardens are targeting businesses more than individuals at the moment.
bunch

Postby E Mc Loughlin » Tue Sep 05, 2000 1:04 pm

Mht, are you saying the corpo should not pick up rubbish thrown on the streets? Secondly, if there were enough bins on the streets to throw the rubbish in, I'm sure the problem would not be as bad. Moreover, most bins, particularly in the suburbs (where finding one is an adventure), are not cleaned regularly enough. Bunch, I new the old chestnut about resources would have to come out. Again, your letting the Corpo of the hook. It's the proper management of the resources available, which is the problem. For a start, there should be proper supervision of cleaning. Streets and public spaces are left to deteriorate, no one is made accountable, or accepts responsibilty.
E Mc Loughlin

Postby bunch » Tue Sep 05, 2000 2:15 pm

McLoughlin, the issue of responsibility is the critical issue here. I think you agree. Do you believe that transferring all of the responsibility for the litter problem to the local authority sends the right message? This 'normalises' the act of littering by individuals, by suggesting that it is o.k. to litter, because we have the corpo. to pick it up. WE, the public are part of the problem, it is very easy to point and blame, as long as we escape individual responsibilty.
bunch

Postby Hair Bear » Tue Sep 05, 2000 3:21 pm

Obviosly 'Bunch' you must work for the Corpo or else your Da or Ma does. You seem over protective of them. Ok we all know that the general public are ill educated dirty bastards but the council should provide a reasonable service. We have oodles of money now so there is no excuse.Maybe the corpo/council are of the same ilk as the general public...... uncaring,lazy litterlouts......
Hair Bear

Postby bunch » Tue Sep 05, 2000 3:28 pm

Hair Bear, no neither, my ma, da, nor myself work for corpo. or council, nor am I in any way associated. Honestly. If I seem "over-protective" it is probably because I am sick of hearing people whinging about the problem of litter and pointing fingers, that's all.
bunch

Postby mht » Tue Sep 05, 2000 3:37 pm

mc loughlin i'm not saying that the corpo shouldn't pick up rubbish Image .... what i'm saying is that rubbish don't appear from nowhere and people can't go around giving out that there aren't enough people to clean up after them .... do u have someone come in and pick rubbish off the floor of u're house ??? i'm sure not ..... the reason ???? .... u don't throw litter all over the place and if u do then u pick it urself Image .... same should apply when u've finished u're mars bar after a football match .... the place for it isn't on the ground .......
mht

Postby Hi » Tue Sep 05, 2000 3:57 pm

........those smiley face things are lovely!
Hi

Postby mht » Tue Sep 05, 2000 4:02 pm

Image Image Image Image Image
mht

Postby mht » Tue Sep 05, 2000 4:02 pm

Image Image Image Image Image
mht

Postby Rory W » Tue Sep 05, 2000 5:20 pm

As for the lack of bins, another solution - carry it home and put it in your own bin and quit whinging about why the "Mammy" figure of the Corporation isn't there to clean up after you. Pathetic is what it is. The government waste taxes on trying to cater to whinging tossers who behave like spoilt children.

Lets face it, the majority of people in Dublin behave this way, and say "Well there is no bin exactly under my hand therefore I will just have to drop my rubbish here" and the likes of Tony Gregory would agree and say its a traditional Dublin thing to do. I hate to say it but we Irish are a filthy race. We drop rubbish everywhere, we never recycle, why drive our cars wherever we go - even to the corner shop, we build what we want where we want to.. and then expect the corpo to clean up after us...for free.

We only have ourselves to blame! We tolerate our streets, green areas, parks, beaches, nearly everywhere covered in litter, gum, urine, vomit and dog filth. This cannot continue!!

Rory W
Rory W
Old Master

Postby bunch » Wed Sep 06, 2000 9:06 am

well done rory. Nail has just been hit on the Head.
bunch

Postby mht » Wed Sep 06, 2000 9:43 am

spot on rory ...

[This message has been edited by mht (edited 06 September 2000).]
mht

Return to Ireland