Dundalk Railway Station

Postby GrahamH » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:24 pm

Yes!
I still can't belive this is staying - I thought it was an undercoat for about two weeks!
Its truly, truly unbeliveable - not least considering the station is otherwise painted with an elegant deep green.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby David Chambers » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:06 pm

For those curious about railways in the Clontarf area I will fill them in this.

I will start with the bridge over East Wall Road which has been constructed with an extra third (depot approach) track, as well as the running lines and headshunt. When the Dublin and Drogheda Railway was constructed in the 1840s, a stone arch bridge was built over East Wall Road. It was blown up in 1923 during the Civil War. The replacement lattice girder bridge was washed away in a flood in 1954. A reinforced concrete bridge replaced this and was widened with advent of DART. Immediately north of this is the Dublin Port Tunnel. There is a middle single arch bridge approximately where the platforms used by DART drivers are. It is difficult to locate this bridge as the area around it has been filled in. Just north of Clontarf Road station is the Skew Bridge, a famous local landmark. It is also quite a remarkable piece of engineering. Early in the twentieth century the sea went under the arch nearest Clontarf Road station, the other arch accommoding the road with a tramline. I imagine that the Middle Arch and East Wall Road bridges were carbon copies of the Skew Bridge. The next underbridge after this is Howth Road. Immediately north of this bridge, where there are signals on either side of the line was Clontarf [GNR(I)] station. As I have metioned before, the gate piers for access to this station are still there at road level, with the GNR(I) polychrome brick dwelling on the Up side.

At Killester there was a typical GNR(I) signal cabin, just south of Collins Avenue overbridge.

Other buildings of railway/tram interest in this suburb is Clontarf Bus Garage, formerly the tramsheds. The tramsheds are still there though converted for bus use. These originally had a redbrick facade with typical decorative Victorian brickwork. I understand that CIÉ covered over this with a 1970s brick facade. At the back of the tramsheds are cottages built for tram workers with typical Victorian "railway" architecture. The tramline opened in 1898 and closed in 1941.

I note from an RPSI e-mail that it is proposed to reopen Dunleer and open a new station at Newfoundwell/ Drogheda. It mentions nothing about Castlebellingham.

Graham, I that the above will be of interest.
David Chambers

Postby GrahamH » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:05 pm

There's only a totally over-grown platform left at Castlebelligham, not even any buildings, very spooky to see it now - hardly noticable.

Dunleer is very much intact - I too heard of its proposed re-opening - esp with that disgusting rezoning decision made recently for the area.

There's also a new station to be built just before Howth Junction I think, just on the outskirts of the city - there's a massive housing dev planned for around it. There's signs up along the track for commuters to see.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby David Chambers » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:15 pm

The new station north of Howth Junction is provisionally referred to as Grange Road which will be at milepost 5 3/4. It will have four platforms and have a track layout similar to Belfast Central (an architectural disaster of the 1970s). I understand that Bayside on the Howth branch, long a haunt for local guerriers will be rebuilt under the DASH plan.
David Chambers

Postby mackers » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:56 am

Four platforms? But there's only 1 line! Do they still want to branch to the airport from this line? I live quite close, so any other details would be appreciated.

I recently read an article about the new development -- dubbed "Stapolin Village" -- in this area. Apparently, the chief planner is some Swedish guy who's been kind enough to leave a large portion of it as coastal parks and open spaces, as well as medium density, medium rise apartments and offices.
mackers

Postby David Chambers » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:41 pm

Regarding Grange Road station it will be an integrated transport terminal. It will be possible to change onto bus (but not tram) and it will have a taxi rank.

Regarding bridges on this line the pedestrian overbridge at Killbarrack with the spiralling "sliproad like" approaches featured in some 2000 edition of the "Irish Architect". It is also worth noting that this bridge can accommoate quadruple track, like Collins Avenue and Brookwood Avenue overbridges.
David Chambers

Postby GrahamH » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:36 pm

Like this bridge, very architectural.

Which is more than can be said for the housing around it - I think red and brick are the only words necessary to evoke the standard shudders.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:34 pm

Graham,

Sorry to return to the original point after the discussion has moved on. But the reason for the confusion at Dundalk is possibly down to the following.

Railways in Ireland developed organically, for example a Dublin Belfast railway was not built, but rather a Dublin-Drogheda and a Belfast-Armagh. In the intervening decades these lines linked up.

At a certain unknown time Dundalk became the rail hub for its region (coincidentaly recognized in the award of its current gateway Status) with a branch lines serving the entire North East including places such as Monaghan Cavan and onward connections to Armagh and Mid-Ulster.

For this reason a simple two platform station at the midpoint of its existing line was insufficient. As it was also a major junction in the same way that Crewe still is in the UK.

As these lines are now closed it is a grander station than would be required today.
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:46 pm

Very true - and of course Greenore was a major port in the 19th century, and a holiday destination for the Edwardians, and was also served by the station.
Its fantastic today then that the largest town in the country has such a befitting station - contrasting markedly with Drogheda's situation.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:14 pm

So True
It is interesting that you mention Greenore, as it was Irelands first containerised port back in the early 1960's. It is unfortunate that this branch line was closed prior to the unions in Dublin refusing to implement this then new technology.

Perhaps the Dundalk area could have taken on the freight functions that went to Larne over the next three decades.
PVC King

Postby David Chambers » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:06 pm

There is one detail about Dundalk Clark which I find to be of interest. Immediately south of the Carrickmacross Road bridge on the Down side there is a limestone retaining wall with a line of two courses of the GNR(I)'s famous trademark yellow brick. This wall has coping stones and is a typical railway structure. There is the same detail on the former Hill of Howth tramline next to Howth railway station. These yellow bricks follow an imaginary line which would be the same as the level of a bridge deck. This type of feature occurs a lot on railway structures, especially those built in the Victorian era. Could anyone enlighten me on this?
David Chambers

Re: Dundalk Railway Station

Postby PVC King » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:15 am

I just found this article, it seems that this board isn't the only place where the station is appreciated:

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=40

WESTPORT DOES A ‘LORD OF THE RINGS’

AT STATION AWARDS!

Women Station Managers dominate InterCity category

Westport Station achieved an unprecedented hat-trick in the twelfth annual Waterford Wedgwood-sponsored Iarnród Éireann Best Station Awards today. The County Mayo station was named Best Overall Station on the Iarnród Éireann network, and also collected the prestigious Heritage Award, along with Best InterCity Station. The awards took place at Dublinia in Christchurch today, and were presented by Minister for Transport Seamus Brennan TD.

The Waterford Wedgwood Iarnród Éireann Best Station Awards reward excellence in customer facilities, cleanliness, innovation and customer service in the country’s 134 railway stations, with Westport scoring highly in all categories.

Westport Station Manager Ann Elliott proudly collected two magnificent Waterford Crystal sculptures for the station, of an Iarnród Éireann locomotive as part of the prize for winning the Best Overall Station title, and of the Steam Locomotive Maedhbh for the Heritage Award, a title awarded to the Station which makes a major contribution to the preservation of the railway’s unique heritage. Ann had her arms full as she also collected a Wedgwood Bone China pieces specially designed for these awards for winning Best Intercity Station.

The judges were fulsome in their praise for the station team in Westport, saying the staff at Westport had shown the “ hard work, dedication and attention to detail that is necessary to capture this award.” Adding that the station overall was "a fine example of excellence". For the Heritage Award, Westport was singled out as station staff led by Ann researched and gathered artefacts and photographs on the old Achill line, building an impressive museum facility within the former waiting room which served the Achill trains.

Ann was also part of a unique achievement by woman Station Managers in the Best InterCity Station category. With Westport winning the category, Ann Breslin of Tullamore collected the runner-up prize, with third place going to Athlone, managed by Margaret Larkin.

In other awards, Dundalk Station picked up the award for Best Major Station for the second year running. The station also received second prize for the Heritage Award, which they won last year. Dundalk Stationmaster Brendan McQuaid, who accepted the awards, represented the station. Best DART Station went to Grand Canal Dock with Jonathan Keely on hand to receive the award.

Skerries continued their domination of the Best Suburban Halt, receiving that award for an incredible eighth year in a row. Nicky Martin, Haltkeeper of Skerries Station received the prestigious award. Skerries record is unmatched in the awards, and reflects its high standards as a station. Also in the commuter area, Hazelhatch and Celbridge was presented with Best Unmanned Halt, collected by Patricia Bermingham, who looks after the station.

Westport wasn’t the only Mayo station to excel - Claremorris received the Community Involvement award for the involvement of the local Gael Scoil in producing wonderful murals and Dolores Keaveney was presented with the award. Castlebar was named Best InterCity Halt for the seventh year in a row, and Noel Hoban made the familiar walk to receive the award.

Arklow won this year’s Innovation Award. This is a highly competitive category and is a great achievement for the station. The station impressed the judges with the clear information, notices of services and facilities available in the station. John Redmond and Tommy Nolan accepted the award. Mullingar Station picked up the award for the Best Floral Display. Frank Harkin, Station Manager of Mullingar picked up the award for the station.

Finally, Boyle Station won the Best Staff Effort award, collected by Station Manager PJ Browne in his retirement year. A longtime standard bearer at these awards, it was fitting that PJ marked his swansong with yet another win, after 50 years dedicated service.

MAJOR STATIONS

First Prize - Dundalk

Second Prize - Drogheda

Most Improved - Galway

INTERCITY STATIONS

First Prize - Westport

Second Prize - Tullamore

Third Prize - Athlone

Most Improved - Ennis

INTERCITY HALTS

First Prize - Louis Mongan Award - Castlebar

Second Prize - Ballymote

Third Prize - Athenry

Most Improved - Ballybrophy

DART STATIONS

First Prize - Grand Canal Dock

Second Prize - Sandymount

Third Prize - Booterstown

Most Improved - Howth Junction

SUBURBAN HALTS

First Prize - Skerries

Second Prize - Drumcondra

Most Improved - Leixlip Louisa Bridge

UNMANNED HALTS
First Prize - Hazelhatch

Second Prize - Collooney

Third Prize - Cahir

Most Improved - Kilcock

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT - Claremorris

BEST STAFF EFFORT - Boyle

INNOVATION - Arklow

MARY LINEHAN FLORAL DISPLAY - Mullingar

HERITAGE AWARDS
Winner - Westport

Runner-Up - Dundalk

BEST STATION OVERALL - WESTPORT
PVC King

Postby ewanduffy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:20 am

Best Unmanned Halt Hazelhatch, pipping Collooney to the post? I disagree. Collooney would get my vote any day (I use Hazelhatch to get to and from work).
ewanduffy

Postby PVC King » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:36 am

It does look a little windswept alright

http://img61.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img61&image=p10100288pv.jpg
PVC King

Postby Rory W » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:43 pm

Graham Hickey wrote: Its fantastic today then that the largest town in the country has such a befitting station - contrasting markedly with Drogheda's situation.

Pedant's corner returns - Drogheda is bigger than Dundalk (by population) Dundalk just happens to get the goodies more (something to do with the government TD's being located there?!?!)
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:38 pm

Ahem :) :

http://www.citypopulation.de/Ireland.html

The size of Drogheda is highly questionable given the acres of housing swamping the place, a lot of which presumably is loosely termed Drogheda.
As a compact town unit Dundalk was the larger of the two, and probably still is. This was posted a year and a half ago before Drogheda was completely overrun with Dubliners...

Nice to see they've won again this year :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:39 pm

As for goodies - a swimming pool after 30 years maybe? :)
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:55 pm

According to the local paper - the figures issued to the NSS people forgot a couple of thousand people and also excluded "Drogheda Co Meath" the bits of Drogheda just over the border into Co Meath such as the huge Grange Rath Estate which has about 500 houses! Which meant that Drogheda had a few hundred more (Dubs no doubt - myself included) than Dundalk :)

Ah Goodies - Third Level College, New Fire Station, Co Co Headquarters, Upgraded Shopping Street, Bypass that will be untolled - I could go on... True were getting a new Pool but only because the roof fell in on the other one.

And we're finally getting decent shopping centres at the end of the year :D
Rory W
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:11 pm

Dundalk's new one will be better though - we've more parking spaces than you :)

Yeah okay the college, and the bypass - but the council offices :rolleyes: - you can have em...

http://www.dundalkphoto.com/DundalkImages/Louth%20CoCo.htm
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Rory W » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Graham Hickey wrote:Dundalk's new one will be better though - we've more parking spaces than you :)

Yeah okay the college, and the bypass - but the council offices :rolleyes: - you can have em...

http://www.dundalkphoto.com/DundalkImages/Louth%20CoCo.htm

Fire station architecture at its best ;)
Rory W
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:40 pm

Pretty manky alright, but what do people think about Dundalk Railway Station getting an award did it deserve it?
PVC King

Postby GrahamH » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Maintenance-wise they are excellent, both for everyday services as well as on structural & decorative issues.
So much so, it seems all brassware in the station must be cleaned every morning before 8 o'clock, such is the dedication apparent.
Also the white painted parts of the columns are regularly painted - keeping the whole scheme fresh without having to do all the green which is clever - you can even see the glow of it in the pic below.

That dodgy Commuter paintwork mentioned before was a low point alright but it has since been painted over - still incorrectly though: this time in DART green :rolleyes:.Third time lucky perhaps...

A lovely lovely station though - classic model railway architecture :):

GrahamH
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:12 pm

I loved using Dundalk Station when I worked there - a lovely building and quite peaceful but maybe it was because I was leaving the town ;) - I must post my shots of the GNR Merlin using the station. Got some nice ones with lots of steam and smoke
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:12 pm

actually when I think of it, i have a wonderfully evocative one of the same engine in Connolly.... will post tonight
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ewanduffy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:50 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:actually when I think of it, i have a wonderfully evocative one of the same engine in Connolly.... will post tonight

Are you confessing to being a trainspotter :D
ewanduffy

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland