Winnipeg

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Winnipeg

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:04 pm

Going to Winnipeg for Christmas (probably via stopover in Chicago - whistlestop tour of the skyscrapers i think)... never been to Winnipeg before.

Just wondering is there any buildings that I should see? Please bear in mind it will probably be below zero and snowy.

Worryingly, I've found this.
http://www.interlog.com/~urbanism/mowinn.html
Some nice stores but a multistorey carpark?

But it does say "Welcome to Winnipeg, Manitoba. One of the largest and immaculate collections of turn-of-the-century warehouse architecture! And one of the most startling collections of Canadian modern anywhere! Winnipeg is Architecture!"

With a buildup like that, how can it not be a great place?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby greenarch » Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:21 pm

winnipeg is a fantastic city, I should know I spent 27 years there.

it does house one of the finest collections of turn of the century warehouse buidings, second only to chi-town itself.

unfortunately that's wear architecture ends in Winnipeg. there are some great individual examples of design through-out the city. If you get yourself a car you will be able to explore many mies-style residences throughout the city, along with a handful of office blocks in the modern style.

make sure you make your way to the University of Manitoba, and visit the faculty of architecture. It is probably the best school in Canada, and you will find plenty of people there that will give you a better idea of what to see and where to go. find you way into the office of Herb Enns, he is the head of the architecture program, and he loves to talk about winnipeg. if you are lucky enough, and you ask him, he will give you a great tour of the Architecture faculty building, The Russell Building. Built around 1940, it is one of the finest pieces of modern architecture in the city.

the current architecture climate in winnipeg is poor and slow. there are a few good practices there, but no money!

good luck and have fun. have a pint at Bar italia on Corydon Ave....a nice place to have a drink, and you can sneeze in that place without hitting an architecture student, or a drunk professor.
greenarch

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:28 pm

Cheers for that. I may drop him an email. I was aware of the Exchange District as its recently been named as a National Monument, so I'll definitely have a wander down that way. I'll be there for 2.5 weeks so plenty of time to experience what the city has to offer.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:02 pm

Greenarch, any books on the city that you would recommend?
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:33 pm

Man, some of these warehouses are impressive. Have taken loads of photos for a new section on this site. Some terrible developments as well tho... but some nice pieces that look to a jetsons type future...

also have shots of an italianiat palazzo with neo-egyptian decoration all built in the chicago warehouse style... ;)

the state building is very impressive as are some bank branches... nice art gallery from the 70s as well... plenty of magnificent but empty warehouses....
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:01 pm

Not quite finished yet. Still waiting on some rolls to be developed but you can get a flavour of the city from this.

http://www.archiseek.com/guides/canada/manitoba/winnipeg/
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby ro_G » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:10 am

some grand buildings Paul, looks like you got to know the city very well. What's the main industries in Winnipeg?, good place to live?, much manufacturing?
ro_G

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:18 am

Seems to be mainly agriculture - didnt notice any massive factories... the city centre is very quiet, almost dead. Portage Avenue (their O'Connell Street) is full of empty premises and buildings. The exchange district has many empty warehouses. I saw a nice 3 storey over basement warehouse for sale for 200k Canadian which is around 130k euro. With a few million behind you, you could buy quite a bit of property there, but finding tenants could be difficult.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Andy6 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:06 am

There's a fantastic new collection of Winnipeg photos by Colin Kent at the following site:

Winnipeg Photos Click Here

Winnipeg's economy is highly diverse, based on government, financial services, light manufacturing, transportation, and agribusiness.

While the city has had a hard time keeping up with Calgary, which has replaced it as the business centre of the west, it is generally a mildly prosperous place. The business district has improved considerably in the last 10 years and most of the warehouse space is now taken up. It is a great location for artists and high tech/new economy business and has begun to attract such tenants in considerable numbers.

Nevertheless, Winnipeg's best days were 1895-1920 and its architecture definitely reflects this fact.

Thanks for the photo collection. The round arches at the Forks Market were for horses' stalls, as it was a large horse barn, by the way. I believe it was also designed by NYC's Warren & Wetmore, somewhat surprisingly. And the architects for the Marlborough Hotel were James Chisholm & Son, if I remember correctly. The neo-Egyptian theme, which is actually one of the best uses of terra cotta in the city, is on the Birks Jewellers building on Portage Avenue. Birks is Canada's best-known jewelry chain but has long since vacated its downtown location in Winnipeg. The 1905 Eaton's Department store, once billed as the largest in the Empire, is completely demolished as of this past weekend.
Andy6

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:21 pm

Any proof for Warren & Wetmore or is it just conjecture? Thanks for the other info.... I have more pictures to come.... have to wait until I have some money to pay for film development
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Andy6 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:24 am

I read that somewhere recently (about W&W having also designed the stables and another building back there when they did Union Station). I'll try to remember where--might have been the city website. I'm surprised you didn't bump into Colin Kent as all his photos were done over Christmas too (or me, I went out and took some one day as well).

I'll look forward to the completion of the set when you manage to raise the necessary funds.
Andy6

Good job!

Postby Jeff » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:28 am

Your pictures are great! Too bad for some of them you seemed to of had cloudy days. I really like how you managed to get a lot of written detail in with a lot of the buildings too.

Anyway, why did you choose to come to Winnipeg of all places?

Hope you come back to "The Peg" again! :)
Jeff

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:54 am

Jeff, my better half is a Winnipegger.... Should be back over in the summer. Still have not developed all of the shots yet - no surprise there, I have 5 films of Paris and Tours still to be developed, but I know I have some excellent shots of the TD centre amongst others.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Jeff » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:39 am

Can't wait for the new shots!

If you come back this summer there will be a lot of new things to take pictures of... The new Provencher Pedestrian Bridge near the Forks will be almost complete, Waterfront Drive (new scenic riverside road in the Exchange District) will be finished, the new arena taking shape, City Hall undergoing some new landscaping... the list continues! Just bring the bug spray and the sunscreen and you'll have a great time!
Jeff

Postby Matthew » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:54 pm

A shame you didn't see the Eaton's building before they started demolition. The arena should start going up soon in its place.

At the U of M the Engineering II building is also preparing for demolition to be replaced by a new building. Much needed, and the old one wouldn't be able to be renovated to fill the requirements, but I have sort of a liking for it.

I'd say the two biggest sectors in the Winnipeg economy are transportation and diversified manufacturing (quite a bit of aerospace and automotive, and fairly wide spectrum of other manufacturing sectors too). Unfortunately a lot of that is unremarkable suburban industrial buildings, although there are the odd interesting ones (industrial architecture can be quite interesting).

BTW, did you get any shots of the Canadian Pacific Railway station? Did you go over to the Royal Canadian Mint?
Matthew

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:24 pm

I'm saving the CPR and the Mint for my next trip as well as the Eglise de Precieux Sang in St Boniface. Passed by the Eglise one evening and it looked fabulous.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:35 am

Exchange vies for world renown

By Leah Janzen

A historic jewel in the centre of Winnipeg is one step closer to becoming an international heritage site.
For 10 years, city council has lobbied hard to have Winnipeg's Exchange District designated a UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)World Heritage Site.
City officials pressed for the billing, arguing the inner-city neighbourhood holds a unique collection of turn-of-the-century buildings not found anywhere else in North America.
Last week, the federal government announced it had short-listed seven historical sites in Canada -- including Winnipeg's Exchange District -- for the UN body to consider to receive the sought-after designation. The area was already named a Canadian national historic district in 2001.

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby dc3 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:24 pm

Sad news about Eatons. Been following that debate for some time. Any good photos around?
dc3

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:13 am

well my photos show eatons under demolition....
Attachments
eatons_demolition2_lge.jpg
eatons_demolition2_lge.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
eatons_demolition_lge.jpg
eatons_demolition_lge.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby dc3 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:24 am

Meant photos while in use, particularly interiors.
dc3

Return to World Architecture