over the top criticism

Anything you would like to see on the website?

over the top criticism

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:08 am

I would like to suggest that if you wish to slag off the work of specific architects, that your words may carry more credibility if you post under your real name as opposed to a pseudonym. It's very easy to be overly critical if you don't have to stand over your opinions.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:52 am

As this is an online community of people with similar interests, in such a small national architectural community, it is not unreasonable to respect some degree of anonymity on these public forums if the poster so wishes. You know who i am paul, you know exactly where i'm posting from, my computers i.p address or whatever it is, and i am contactable throught this site if anyone wishes to discuss my opinions or expressions outside these forums. I must agree with what? in that i personally value my anonymity, in that this allows me to put forward a condensed and honest view. If my opinions bother people, and they are dismissive because i choose not to say who i am or who i work for or what my dog had for breakfast, thats their business, and their problem. I can stand over my opinions, critical or otherwise, just as well here as i could face to face, but i'll keep that for the pub, and stay as sw101 here.

If people feel the need to impose rules and restrictions here i think it could only detract from the character of the site. Its a sharing of opinion, and a generator of debate. Not a personality or reputation joust
sw101

Postby what? » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:47 am

wow, i dont usually go into this section but i must say im very surprised to hear you say this paul.
ill assume the subject of your post was mainly the comments that were posted about acito's work. the majority of posts (mine included) were not flippant, childish criticisms but included reasoning and intelligent suggestions. if they consited of "acito is shit " you would be wholey justified in suggesting a little more credibility is needed in the
argument. but for you, as the person who runs what is a very succesful and relatively un-abused site (despite the freedoms given) to come and suggest that we stiffle our criticsm, is a very worrying sign. as far as im concerned, anonymity in relation to the others in the site is what makes these discussion forums so successful. if someone can, at will, enter the site read the ideas presented in the discussions, and without social pressures add some of their ideas, what results is a more pure form of comment. (sure this system can be abused by assholes but i dont think that it is at the moment) you say yourself in the rules that we must attack the idea rather than the person. there was no personal assault on acito or anyone else, all that was done was a criticism of what i saw as painfully inadequate and insulting architecture. should someone have presented this scheme to me on my desk i would have been just as forceful in my criticism, but this is not the point. if we cannot object to this on this site you may as well shut it down.
i think sw101 has put it very well in saying that this site (and to a certain extent the idea of the internet) is about opinions, divorced from and purified of, social standing.
i really hope that this post was just a knee jerk reaction to , what you saw as a harsh critique and not a sign to come for the site. it is run extremely well and is a very valuable resource for students, architects and laypeople alike.
what?

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:53 am

I just felt that as acito were willing to open themselves to comments that the harshness of the comments from anonymous posters created a bad impression....

its not a sign of things to come.... more kneejerk on my first morning back than anything
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Return to Suggestions & Announcements