O' Connell Street, Dublin

Postby emf » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:39 pm

The old Eircom building, called Findlater House, has a planning notice on it for re-development as separate units to include a foodcourt. Would have preferred to see it demolished and rebuilt myself but at least its better than a Bookies!!
emf

Postby GrahamH » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:26 pm

At last!

I suppose this building is really to large to sweep away - it's massive to the rear.

Walked down the street today at lunchtime to Connolly - there were no less than 5 pools of vomit on the ground on the stretch between Bachelors Walk and Henry St.
Two were on the pavements edge, one was at the base of a rubbish bin (which of course was missed, hence it ran all down the side to the ground) and one, more sophisticated puker decided to adorn the base of a pilaster of the GPO - on both sides - creating a striking symmetrical composition.

The place was coated rubbish - moreso than usual - my feet stuck to the ground the whole way - and the place stank to high heaven of vomit, urine and the joys of lunchtime at Supermacs.
I was on the verge of throwing up myself.
The paving on this stretch is the worst paving I have ever seen in any town or city in the world.
The slabs are cracked and subsiding, are cheap concrete, unbeliveably incredibly dirty - some are literally black in colour - the kerbstones are subsiding, every slab is coated in chewing gum in a variety of shades, hundreds of gaps are filled with tarmac, 'juice' is leaking out of every bin staining the surrounding area, and of course litter litter litter.
What really annoys me is that people think this is all part of the works for Luas or the repaving, hence letting the CC off the hook - this place has been like this for the past 10 years!
There is nothing in this city that the CC can be blamed more for than the state of the paving on this street - so simple to resolve - so cheap to resolve.
And this is the main street - it is just unbeliveable the state of this paving, imagine Trafalgar Square or Oxford St like this, it should have been fixed years ago.

I was mortified passing all of the German and French couples on their Autumn weekend breaks.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby merriman mick » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:15 pm

It's not just O'Connell street that's dirty but the whole town. But sadly you know as well as the rest of us that this will never change,
it's just the way things are, it's hopeless.

Cleaning, washing, repairing , replacing are all
maintenance tasks that the city deserves.

Oddly enough, you will not often hear visitors
commenting on/complaining about the filth and
disrepair.
merriman mick

Postby Murpho » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:46 pm

Hold a minute here....do you bunch of pessimists think that Dublin is the only city in the world where people throw chewing gum on the streets or puke?

I think you guys should stop criticising Dublini so much and thinking that the grass is so much greener in the rest of Europe.

Do you really think that tourists go around inspecting the state of our paving? Not that I believe its as bad as written above.

I live in Holland and Amsterdam is one of the filthiest cities I've ever been in, but I'm sure Irish tourists who have been there will write back saying how clean it is.

I wish people on this site would stop complaining all the time about how bad things are in Ireland. Of course the country has its faults but its still way better than it was 10 years ago and for me has something special that no other city can offer, so please give Dublin a break!
Murpho

Postby merriman mick » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:02 pm

Not complaining about Dublin, Dublin's great,
always has been, even 10 years ago. The city can learn from a little critique, there's too much
litter, we can see that.

Amsterdam is different, it's like a theme-park,
it's not just about large numbers of tourists though you're right, it is comparable in it's litter with Dublin.

I live not far from you in Antwerp and it's clean, this city is actually clean, it can happen.

This has got nothing to do with the state of the nation or the city, I've not complained about that, it's just the litter.
merriman mick

Postby asdasd » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:30 am

Rome, is a very dirty city, with so much graffiti and filth on the ground. Still my favourite city , though. Stockholm - which is cleaner - is not.

Dirt really means nothing.
asdasd

Postby GrahamH » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:25 pm

O' Connell St is disgusting.

It dosn't matter what other cities are like, it is inexcusable and pathetic.
We have a small city centre and should lead by example.
This is'nt about scoring cheap points at the CC's expense - its about an inexcusable lack of maintainance and an apathetic public.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby sw101 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:01 am

Most of them are unaware that streets can be better. Few people i know take note of the stone finish on streets or standard of rubbish bins while away on holidays. Not to say you're not right, just that its not really apathy if the whole situation is just under the radar (or over)
sw101

Postby sw101 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:03 am

and it's "isn't", not "is'nt". I dunno graham. I like scoring cheap points :)
sw101

Postby GrahamH » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:37 pm

Yeah I know, I keep typing that.
I didn't mean you were scoring points, rather my listing of the problems may be interpreted by anyone as such.
Most people I know certainly would notice the condition/cleaniness of paving abroad.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby DundalkMan » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:31 pm

Graham, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but once again, you are wrong.
I've had been living in Dublin for 2 1/2 years, and find O'Connell St. most appealling. You are wrong about looking people in the eye, in my experience the majority are warm and welcoming - you must spend your time staring at the pavement.
I am now in Dundalk, and it is remeniscent of a slurry pit. The paths are filthy, littered and soiled, and you certainly wouldn't look someone in the eye up here.
I you lived in or around Dundalk, you'd soon realize what a luxury it is to live in Dublin.
DundalkMan

Postby d_d_dallas » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:55 pm

Dundalk man - I'm sure Dundalk isn't glistening sparkly eat ur dinner off the pavement type of place as you describe - but seriously... O'Connell St is "appealing". I have difficulty sharing ur viewpoint on that one.
As big as London is, the main areas seem to be alot cleaner than the main areas here - and that's with the LACK of rubbish bins in public areas/stations (thank the 'ra for that one). Now don't get me wrong - London is dirty - but with no bins on their streets they seem to do better than us - the chippie wrapper never seems to make it to the bin - rather the pavement next to it.
d_d_dallas

Postby blue » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:25 pm

The centre of Dundalk has just been totally repaved so I'm not sure what you are talking about DundalkMan. Dundalk has cleaned up its act in recent years and while I can't vouch for the people the streets are generally clean. Certainly cleaner than O'Connell St and its surrounding streets. :)
blue

Postby GrahamH » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:41 pm

What a coincidence - I have lived in Dundalk for the past 15 years!
I know every inch of the town - it has indeed been completely repaved - and the town is absolutely sparkling - its 18th century core flaunted and appreciated by the council and business people alike.

But certainly I agree the place was like a slurry pit, and many people today there are far from approachable - not least after the clock strikes 12.
Unfortunately the town is somewhat infamous in that regard.

I have the pleasure of walking up O' Cll St most days going to Connolly - pleasure in enjoying the fantastic buzz from the place and it's many fine buildings - but also the displeasure of the disgusting paving - I was on it again today, and after seeing the place there is no way I can backtrack on anything I've said, it is a disgrace.
Although - Mc Donalds have washed the paving outside it's premises and the difference is obvious - although this doesn't take away from it's poor condition.

O' Connell Monument's base has been cleaned over the summer - where credit is due and all that - although some scribblers have already had a go at it.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:06 am

I hope they have factored in claning and floodlighting of the various monuments as part of the renovations.

The new paving is coming along very well... I think it will all look fantastic when completed. You can see how the plaza and the malls will meet as regards paving as well... a graduated slope rather than steps. Theres lots of variety and colour in the stones used as well.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby GregF » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:24 am

Should all be done for Christmas....It will look brilliant
GregF
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:22 pm

The plans are exceptional and very exciting.

The idea of the street in the future at Christmas, packed with shoppers and ramblers, all of the trees down the street covered in lights, Christmassy stalls with hot drinks.....doesn't sound like Dublin!
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:53 am

Hmm I wouldn't egt my hopes up just yet about this Christmas. I can imagine the central median being fully paved but not the rest of the plaza. That going to be a huge job considering the need to control and reroute traffic. Also I can't see any tree planting or street furniture being installed. A nicer Patricks Day parade might be a more realistic expectation.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:31 pm

Of course - Christmas in the future referring to a couple of years down the line - but really this street is going to transform the face of Dublin, esp at Christmas
Its one of very few cities in Europe that doesn't have a hard landscaped area or piazza.
An Post should also invest in some decent garlands etc to dress up the GPO as part of creating a festive mood, and all of the trees surrounding the plaza could be covered in lights.
And of course, at last, the street's Christmas tree will have an official home - in the centre of the plaza, centred on the portico of the GPO.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:12 am

I know you must all be so bored of the Spire by now but now that the paving around it is in place and you can see the fully finished product I have to say I am decidedly underwhelmed. That grating at the base is such a cop out. There is no uplighting which I am suprised by. And after the dirty self cleaning Spire..... the really expensive-state of the art-wont need to be replaced for ages lights in the tip have gone out. I hope those lowflying planes that are frequently seen over OC St will be okay!!
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:11 pm

I walked over the new paving for the first time too yesterday - the quality is impressive but thats about it.
All round the base of the Spire is littered with access man-holes for traffic signals and earth rods, and the big clumsy galvanised steel cover for access to services of the Spire is far from attractive, plonked but a couple of feet away from the base.
I don't know if 'normal' people would notice these things, but it defies my logic that so much money and effort and disruption go into this repaving and for it to be tainted in this way.
One of the details in the plans for the street was to remove all of the ugly silver traffic signal boxes from street level and put them underground - but surely not scattered around the base of the focal point of the street!

And the bronze base is far from interesting - although yesterday all of the ridges filled with water creating an attractive circular pool around the sculpture.

The bollards look well now in the context of the new paving - but should be arranged in a circle.
The whole area at last provides an attractive and accommodating pedestrian crossing for this major junction. Some snazzy 'chromed' traffic/pedestrian signals of the type at the James Joyce Bridge are now required.

And the new dark paving as part of the plaza looks fantastic, it must be basalt or something - it turns jet black in the rain with the slabs of white stone or quartzite in between contrasting brilliantly. The monochrome colour scheme should make it timeless as it were, immune to Grafton Street Syndrome...
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby emf » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:21 pm

I wonder had the placement of the bollards anything to do with protecting the Spire from a collision as they protrude further along towards the direction of oncoming traffic.
emf

Postby feather » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:28 pm

Any of you guys heading out to Ian Ritchie's lecture on the Spike Saturday week, then?

It's on 11am in Pearse Street Library, and costs €20 to get in...
feather

Postby notjim » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:02 pm

half the lights on the spike aren't working, it has been like that since before the storm. please, someone fix them.
notjim

Postby emf » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:00 am

It said on the paper the other day that they have to ship in engineers from across the water to find out whats wrong with them!!
emf

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland