Twin Towers Anew

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Twin Towers Anew

Postby bigjoe » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:47 am

anyone see the program on BBC2 last night about the competition for a new world trade centre. interesting to see how tenders are put together, right down to the model building.

my own prefernece did not make it to the last 2. It was the one that looked like 2 waffles inter-joined.
bigjoe

Postby GregF » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:37 am

Norman Foster's?.....it was a great proposal too!
GregF
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:50 am

Dammit... I knew there was something I missed last night.. this is what happens when you decide to update websites instead....

BJ / Greg... here's an article from Hugh from last year...
http://www.hughpearman.com/articles4/nywtc.html
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby GregF » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:11 am

Yep, I think Foster's proposal was a winner.....quite stylish, landmarkish and there was an echo of the original twin towers there too in the design.
The THINK team's proposal was good too and they thought they had it won but with the intervention of some big shots it went to the Leibeskind design ......which is very good too.

But really, the Brits really have an edge in the architecture world at the mo I think. Give credit where credit is due and well deservedly so.
Foster, Rogers and Co lead the way and I definitely believe that the Lewis & Hickey proposal for the U2 tower should have won.
GregF
Old Master

Postby bigjoe » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:11 pm

thanks for that link Paul. sorry for posting origionally in the irish part.
bigjoe

Manhattan's New Way Of Thinking

Postby garethace » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:33 pm

garethace

Re: Manhattan's New Way Of Thinking

Postby PVC King » Wed May 11, 2005 3:09 am

Amazing that there is no dedicated thread to the new as it is to be built WTC

FT.com wrote:
UN considers move to new WTC building
By Christopher Grimes in New York
Published: May 9 2005 20:57 | Last updated: May 9 2005 20:57

The United Nations, which is searching for a temporary home for when renovations begin on its Manhattan headquarters in 2007, is considering a move to one of the new buildings on the World Trade Center site, real estate executives say.

The building, 7 World Trade Center, is one of a number of sites round New York that the UN is considering. But word of its interest will be welcome news to Larry Silverstein, the developer, who has yet to find outside tenants for the buildings he has planned for the site.

The lack of tenants has been a big source of concern about the viability of the World Trade Center redevelopment plan. The steel for 7 World Trade Center was topped out last autumn and the building is expected to open to occupants early next year, but so far only Silverstein Properties has said it will move in.

The UN is looking for a seven-year lease much shorter than the standard commercial lease, which poses an obstacle to a deal. But it is seeking at least 700,000 sq ft, which would be accommodated easily in the 1.7m sq ft building.

“The UN is looking in the downtown [Manhattan] market, among other markets,” said Mary Ann Tighe, chief executive at CB Richard Ellis New York, a property firm. “There are very few situations that offer 700,000 sq ft, and the UN is looking at all of them.”

Mr Silverstein and others involved in the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site were dealt a serious blow this month when plans for the Freedom Tower the 1,776ft-tall building meant to symbolise the city's resilience were rejected by the New York Police Department as unsafe.

Michael Bloomberg, mayor, and George Pataki, governor, have been accused of allowing the focus to drift away from redevelopment of the site. Daniel Doctoroff, Mr Bloomberg's deputy, said other parts of the redevelopment were on time, and worries that the Freedom Tower and other planned buildings would remain vacant were overdone.

Could be just tonic the scheme needs to be commercially sucessful
PVC King

Re: Twin Towers Anew

Postby fergus » Thu May 19, 2005 4:11 pm

fergus

Return to World Architecture