D'Olier & Westmoreland St.

D'Olier & Westmoreland St.

Postby J O'F » Thu Mar 02, 2000 12:27 am

Does anybody know what the new Westin hotel will look like. ( a picture would be great ) And what kind of buildings did they demolish when they started building it?
J O'F

corner of D'Olier St./ Westmoreland St.

Postby john » Mon Mar 20, 2000 11:52 pm

While in town for the festivities over the weekend, I noticed that the building at the corner site of D'Olier St. and Westmoreland St. had a big banner on it saying "Tinnelly Demolition". I hope this doesn't mean that they're going to knock this landmark building. Does anyone know anything about this?
john

Postby Jas » Tue Mar 21, 2000 9:47 am

The victorian gothic building?

As far as I know that's listed Grade One.... they wouldn't dare. Way too obvious a site for it to disappear over a weekend.
Jas

Postby Rory W » Tue Mar 21, 2000 12:18 pm

They are gutting the former ICS headquaters to build a 'Man-United' superstore. Even man united fans aren't stupid enough to pull down this building!!!

Rory W
Rory W
Old Master

Postby Siobhán » Tue Mar 21, 2000 7:10 pm

Well hail to Colonialism.

I don't watch football. But funnily enough, *I've* actually *been* to Manchester.

Siobh.
Siobhán

Postby herewego » Wed Mar 22, 2000 6:28 pm

Isn't this another one of Johnny Ronan's (oh yes, him again) schemes? I think I recall reading that he wants to put a penthouse apartment on top of it all. Can't imagine what it'll look like.
herewego

Postby Fergus McGee » Thu Mar 23, 2000 1:26 pm

Jaysus, A Man Utd. superstore ? That'll make the Ann Summers shop look positively tasteful.

And why would anyone think that any place in the city is too public to knock down protected buildings. I mean there doesn't seem to be any penalties for doing it.
Fergus McGee

Postby Peter Fitz » Thu Mar 23, 2000 11:42 pm

I heard the man u store was refused permition and it was going to be some kind of cafe place instead (still with the penthouse thing on top) does anyone else know anything else about this
Peter Fitz

Postby Rory W » Fri Mar 24, 2000 11:06 am

Oh they still got permission for it, there will be a "Man-Utd" themed cafe (Beckham Burgers etc) 6 apartments and the Man utd superstore, its just what Dublin has been missing (note: irony).

Rory W
Rory W
Old Master

Over zealous cleaning?

Postby MG » Tue Aug 08, 2000 9:04 pm

The former AIB on Westmoreland / College Street can now be appreciated again without the scaffolding but the stonework seems patchy, areas seem to have lost their top surface.....

was it cleaned over sealously? will they damage the pediment sculptures on the other building now as well....
MG

Postby hamm » Sat Aug 12, 2000 5:16 pm

I believe that stones eroded past a certain point were identified in the survey of the facade. The face of these stones was then raked back to form a key, and are currently being built up again in a coloured mortar mix. Something similar was done to Leinster House a few years ago. Apparently it is accepted conservation practice, but one wonders about the long term durability of such repairs.Cutting in stone indents would give a patchier appearance in the short term, but might be less risky in the long term.

On a similar topic I' ve noticed that the balustrades on the curved walls on either side of the Municipal Gallery have been painted over the last few weeks. My recollection is that these were of limestone, but I could be wrong. Hope it' s not just a misguided tart-up for the Bacon exhibition.
hamm

Westmoreland street reductions

Postby Rory W » Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:41 pm

From the Irish Times Breaking News section

Westmoreland St may be cut to two lanes

Dublin Corporation has approved in principal plans reducing Westmoreland Street from five lanes of traffic to two and a reduction to one-lane traffic at the Bank of Ireland.

Chairman of Dublin Corporation's traffic and transport committee Councillor Eamonn Ryan also said there should be an immediate ban on turning left from Westmoreland Street onto Aston Quay.

The turning is a notorious black spot where a cyclist died on Tuesday and another was killed in the summer.

The new plan is part of Dublin Corporation's traffic and transport policy. It includes the creation of two cycle-lanes, one a contra-flow lane running from O’Connell Bridge along Westmoreland Street to College Green.

A pedestrian traffic island, similar to the ones on O’Connell Bridge and College Green has also been planned for the street.

The plans, originally drawn up by Dutch consultants, are at the final design stage and are expected to be completed in six to eight months.

Cllr Ryan said the main problem is the number of heavy-goods vehicles in the the city centre. Most cycling accidents involve a truck.

Other plans being considered by the corporation include stopping trucks from leaving Dublin Port during rush hours and sending trucks out of the city in early-morning convoys.
Rory W
Old Master

Postby PaulC » Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:58 pm

Briiliant!!!! this really needs to be done.
HOWEVER is this going to turn into another O'Connell Street redevelopment and take years to complete (if ever - am I getting cynical? - I hope not)
PaulC

Cycle lanes+Westmoreland st.

Postby maxb » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:24 pm

One of the widest single lane streets in Europe they say. But can someone tell me why are there are absolutely no cycle lanes on the street?

Never mind that there are none on Dame street or College street etc.,
Westmoreland street has to be one of the most dangerous to cycle in Dublin (just came through it and nearly got run over by a bus 20 minutes ago!)

Does anyone know what the DTO plan to do? if anything?

BTW I notice also that there are no provisions for cycle lanes on harcourt street or any of the Luas streets being developed at the moment!
maxb

Postby PVC King » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:32 pm

There is a simple reason, Westmoreland St on a bike = anarchy!!!!!!!!!

There aren't bicylcle lanes for three good reasons.

1. Virtually the entire Street is made up of bus stops

2. There are four possible ways to go,

a. O'Connell St
b. Eden Quay
c. D'Olier St
d. Aston Quay.

The latter being the particular problem as anything turning left onto aston quay must cross the path of all 'laned' cyclists. There have sadly been many fatalities at this junction.

The only thing to do is get in lane from about the EBS on and keep your wits about you.

Particularly for pedestrians.
PVC King

Postby garethace » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:01 pm

what about skateboarders? Don't they count at all? :)
garethace

Postby maxb » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:36 pm

but surely all they'd have to do is extend the pavement's width and put the cycle lane in on the left.
So at least you could get from college st to o'connel st ?

are you honestly telling me there is no solution and no cyclists should be able to cycle from college st to o'connel st?
maxb

Postby PVC King » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:42 pm

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2087&perpage=15&pagenumber=17

On the O'Connell St thread living city solutions are put forward.

But in the absence of something as radical as what is proposed, Westmoreland St will continue to be a free for all between Cars,Trucks, buses and cylclists

I sympathise with anyone cycling in Dublin, I don't its too dangerous, I walk to work it takes 20 mins, it is a 5 minute cycle.
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:43 pm

:D
PVC King

Postby Andrew Duffy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:06 am

I notice also that there are no provisions for cycle lanes on harcourt street

Cars to be banned from Harcourt St due to Luas:

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-824121365-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FNews.asp

That aside, what did happen to the plans to put a cycleway beside the lines?
Andrew Duffy

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:50 am

The cycleway was dropped when Line B was modified to allow it to be upgraded to "Metro" standard. Basically the track centerlines were moved further apart to allow for a wider vehicle.

There are cycle parking facilities at the outlying stops on both Luas lines.

There's also some debate going on about allowing bikes on the trams. Probably be possible off peak.

JJ
JJ

Postby blue » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:05 pm

Believe it or not there was a plan at one stage to have a contra flow cycle lane on Westmoreland st. :confused:

I couldn't believe it when I saw it first. I'll try and dig out the document it not to old either.
blue

Postby blue » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:43 pm

I can't find the map where I originally came across the contra flow but here is a document outlining it.

Cycle routes southbound across O’Connell Bridge along Westmoreland St.
blue

Postby maxb » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:26 pm

I'm still amazed that bikes aren't even allowed on the DART. It would open up wicklow and howth to tourists in a big way. and commuters of course.

I presume you will still be able to cycle down harcourt st. with the buses + taxis?

What they should really do on westmoreland street is at least put a central division down the middle of the street to stop things getting as crazy as they are now.
So 2 lanes, break, then 2 lanes again.

Or what is they had an underground cycle/pedestrian tunnel that went from BOI pavement to the corner of westmoreland/aston quay? that way you could have one going under westmoreland too.
maxb

Postby maxb » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:27 pm

I'm still amazed that bikes aren't even allowed on the DART. It would open up wicklow and howth to tourists in a big way. and commuters of course.

I presume you will still be able to cycle down harcourt st. with the buses + taxis?

What they should really do on westmoreland street is at least put a central division down the middle of the street to stop things getting as crazy as they are now.
So 2 lanes, break, then 2 lanes again.

Or what is they had an underground cycle/pedestrian tunnel that went from BOI pavement to the corner of westmoreland/aston quay? that way you could have one going under westmoreland too.
maxb

Next

Return to Ireland