old illustrations of limerick

Re: old illustrations of limerick

Postby Junior » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm

RE: Old Bear Inn ~ 1640
Reminiscences of old Limerick by Ernest H. Bennis, 1951Book
Broad Street, once a leading and prosperous thoroughfare, contains a well chiselled archway, formerly the entrance to the “Old Bear Inn”, having on the keystone the inscription “Pierse Creagh 1640, rebuilt by John Creagh 1767”.

Here's a nice photograph of the Old Bear Inn, no. 29&30 Broad Street now unfortunately demolished along with most of the western side of Broad St. Nice squat-two story dutch-billy, the original pitch of the gable end is clearly evident in the brickwork. The site was fully excavated in the late 1980's prior to re-development however the inscribed plaque went missing at this time, probably on someones mantelpiece.
Attachments
29-broad-st-with-plaque.jpg
Junior

Postby CologneMike » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Old Bear Inn 29-30 Broad Street (Western Side of Street) ?

Your source is definitely at odds with what I found on the Limerick Museum / City Library sites as they position the Old Bear Inn to be on the other side of the street i.e. eastern side. Attached is a close up image of that stone of arms with C E M / 1712 inscribed on it. Any chance you reference the source of your information on 29-30 Broad Street?
Attachments
Coat of Arms 29-30 Broad Street.jpg
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Old Bear Inn 11-12 Broad Street (Eastern Side of Street) ?

The following sources would indicate it to have been located on the eastern side of the street.

In Broad Street, the Keystone of the arch of what was formerly the “Old Bear Inn,” has the inscription – Built in 1640 by Piers Creagh; rebuilt 1767, by John Creagh.

Lecture on Old Limerick - Rev. J. Dowd, M.A. PDF Page 5 (City Library)

The site of “Old Bear Inn” was marked by the letter Y in an adapted H.G. Leask’s 1941 Map. (City Library)

Photograph, print. Limerick City. Curry Lane, behind Broad St, showing rear of four houses including the Bear Inn. Foreground, boys, horse and cart, cottage behind. (Limerick Museum)

Photograph, b/w print. Ernest Bennis with a dog on a lead, looking at bow-way in Broad Street; the ends of shop fronts on either side have numbers 11 and 12; cobbled street in foreground. Reverse inscribed "Ernest H. Bennis/ Limerick" in blue ball-point and "Old Bear Inn" in black ink. (Limerick Museum)
Attachments
Ernest Bennis 11-12 Broad Street.jpg
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Here is a nice peep of Broad Street circa 1650.

The largest grey building (six windows) in the image below was Piers Creagh’s House.

Larger image
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Looking for a usable picture of Todds before the fire.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:47 pm

I had a quick look on my PC and all I found was this 1920s street view, where Todds is the 7th building on the left.

I will have another look later.
Attachments
19981668.jpg
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Junior » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 am

best image of the old todds that I could find, from 'stroll down memory lane' vol 1 by sean curtin. I've a few other images taken from further up o'connell st but none that show the facade as clearly
Attachments
o'connell st vol1 p65 150.jpg
Junior

Postby CologneMike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Same source as Junior above, Vol 6.

Quality is unfortunately poor.
Attachments
William Todd and Company Circa 1920.jpg
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Any recommendations on lost building for inclusion on the site...

Thinking

Cannocks
Todds
McBirneys
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Cruise's Royal Hotel ~ O'Connell Street (Georges Street)
Royal George Hotel ~ O'Connell Street (Georges Street)
Munster & Leinster Bank ~ O'Connell Street (Georges Street)
Quin's Hall ~ Patrick Street / Ellen Street
The Façade of the Glentworth Hotel ~ Catherine Street / Glentworth Street
The two buildings below McBirneys on Sarsfield Street (Brunswick Street)

See link http://www.memorylanelimerick.com/p8417 ... #h2f047a08
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby Tuborg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:45 pm

You could probably add the old city court house to that list too. Demolished in 1988 to facilitate the construction of the new City Council headquarters. There was no reason why it could not have been incorporated in to that development. It would have served perfectly well as the main entrance.

Of course there are amble examples in Limerick given the legacy of shameful failure to protect the citys architectural heritage.

It's pretty inexplicable really that a decision to permit the demolition of such an historical institution as Cruise's hotel could be handed down as late as 1991! It was a city landmark for 200 years and the fact that its replacement was obsolete less than 20 years after construction is only a further indictment of that decision!

It should still be a focal point of the city centre today.It could have been refurbished and extended to ensure its continued viability. Looking at old aerial imagery and the vast swathe of buildings to the rear of the hotel that were cleared to redevelop the site. It seems Todd's Row in particular was lined with bonded warehouse like structures. Again why couldn't these have been preserved and refurbished? Doubtless it would have made for a far more interesting little space than the current arrangement. A far more targeted and balanced redevelopment of derelict sites on Denmark Street should also have been progressed instead of the small scale rubbish that was constructed!

I would love to see some interior shots of Cruise's hotel. Does anyone here remember what it was like? Was it particularly grand or elaborate? It was before my time.
Attachments
Cruises 1979.jpg
City Courthouse & Gaol.jpg
Tuborg

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm

I remember Cruises, was never in it. Lived in Limerick for a college year in 88/89.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland