Developments in Cork

Re: Developments in Cork

Postby nilachseall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Was 2004 the last time anybody posted on Cork planning? Amazing! I was in the old military graveyard recently and it's been turned into a park. They've shunted out all the graves but for some fella called Murphy. Is this an example of Cork City Council rewriting history?
nilachseall

Postby rofbp » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Didn't think it deserved a thread all of its own, but just wondering about opinions on the new paint scheme at the Mercy. The thread on the quay wall repairs brought it to mind
The Mansion house section has been repainted a dark green colour on the ground floor, with a lighter green above. I don't know anything about whether this is an appropriate scheme for this building and its period?
The old (original) windows have been painted, but unfortunately not restored.
It certainly makes sense that it has a different colour scheme now to the rest of the hospital complex on that side of Henry street
rofbp

Postby nilachseall » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 pm

At least they're painting it. Not like the Erinville which was just left to rot until it could be safely knocked, which it is now. Cork could really do with a resident conservation architect.
nilachseall

Postby opus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 am

Does anyone know what happened to the flat developments at the start of Sundays Well road, it's called Altus I think? I walked past last weekend and apart from some dead plants on the balconies it looks deserted although has been finished for quite some time.

Also I read in the IT today that the unfinished block of flats at Dennehy's Cross is being sold by the receiver. The 47 units rented out are to UCC students I believe so imagine it will all go that way if somebody buys it as unlikely anyone else will want to live there.

Kieran Wallace is also receiver to the mixed-use apartment and retail development in Dennehy’s Cross on the western edge of Cork city. The Franilla-built scheme includes two blocks of apartments with 142 units, 1,372sq m (14,768sq ft) of commercial space and a basement car park with 214 spaces.
A total of 47 apartments are let and the remaining 95 are being fitted out. Revenue from the rented apartments is €509,320, a figure that is expected to rise to €1.56 million when the scheme is fully completed.
Around one-third of the commercial space is rented by Tesco at €133,056 per annum.
The multiple’s first break option is in 2024.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0926/1224324413884.html
opus

Postby Jim Comic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20 am

i was talking to one of the head honchos at cumnors who developed altus and he told me they're holding sales til the market recovers a tad. They're in the lucky position of not having to sell to keep bank off their back so they can afford to wait

the top apartment seems to have a huge balcony and great view, i'd buy that one myself if i had the moolah

http://www.cumnor.ie/media/homepage/ALTUS_PhotoBook.pdf

altus was designed by the same chap who did this award winning house on strawberry hill - http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfojauideyql/rss2/
Jim Comic

Postby opus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Jim Comic wrote:i was talking to one of the head honchos at cumnors who developed altus and he told me they're holding sales til the market recovers a tad. They're in the lucky position of not having to sell to keep bank off their back so they can afford to wait

the top apartment seems to have a huge balcony and great view, i'd buy that one myself if i had the moolah

Thanks for the update. Looks like they're following the same game plan as the Elysian in that case!

I'd agree the top flat looks pretty good but ultimately it's a flat & based on the rumoured prices from before you could buy several houses in the area for a similar amount without having to worry about service charges etc.
opus

Postby opus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 pm

I noticed the site of the Esso petrol station on Western (near the Lee Hotel) has recently been cleared of the jungle it had turned into. Anyone know if there's something happening there, didn't see any planning permission signs on the fence when I walked past.
opus

Postby browser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 pm

opus wrote:I noticed the site of the Esso petrol station on Western (near the Lee Hotel) has recently been cleared of the jungle it had turned into. Anyone know if there's something happening there, didn't see any planning permission signs on the fence when I walked past.

I suspect, a la Douglas, its returning to its prior use as a petrol station and shop....hence no need for new planning.
browser

Postby jungle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:44 pm

It's not the greatest of sites for a filling station though. Because it was next to the river, the underground tanks there were almost like buoyancy aids trying to get to the surface. In times long past, the pipes suffered from corrosion because of the location, but I assume that plastic pipes are used nowadays.
jungle

Previous

Return to Ireland