EBS Building Society: facade of former La Fayette building

EBS Building Society: facade of former La Fayette building

Postby Kmccormack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone would have information relating to the history/ origin of the facade of the former La Fayette building on Westmoreland St. (no. 32 I think)? It's on the list of protected structures and shares its name, at least, with with the close-by 'La Fayette building' (Gothic influenced) at the intersection of O' Connell bridge, D' Olier St and Westmoreland St (used to have the Man Utd. shop at ground level years ago).

The central pediment of the former building is free standing at the center of the plot with a low grade 80's mirrored curtain wall facade surrounding it.

Very interesting...

Cheers.
KMcC
Kmccormack

Re: EBS Building Society: facade of former La Fayette buildi

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Built around 1912 for the Lafayette studios to designs of Fuller & Jermyn. And far from being the "central pediment: of the former building, that's the entire facade, its neightbours were stylistically different. Nos 33-24 dated from the 1920s.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Kmccormack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks Paul,
Yes I see now that it corresponds nicely to the typical Geogian plot width- owning to its pomp I thought it may have been a part of something more elaborate. Do you know if La Fayette owned all the buildings along this strip? Could you direct me to a source of any info (photo's?) on this run of buildings pre demolition (IAA maybe)?
Many thanks.
P.S. I didn't realise until recently the sheer scale of the La Fayette photography company- Royal endorsement also...
Kmccormack

Postby lauder » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:24 pm

There is a small photo on the Lafayette website looking down Westmoreland Street from O'Connell bridge. I'm pretty sure I have some photos of the facade of the studio on Westmoreland St (was also a shop on Burgh quay. My family founded Lafayette in the mid 1800's.

http://www.lafayettephotography.com/Main.aspx?Id=1
lauder

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm

That's a great photo. I'd not seen that before.

Don't forget there is a good Westmoreland/D'Olier thread viewtopic.php?f=49&t=224 . Interesting to read back over the years. GrahamH made a very good critique of the street from about page 6 onwards...one wonders of anything has improved since then. Im inclined to think its gotten worse.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby Kmccormack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Excellent- thanks Paul.
Thanks also to Lauder- it would be great if you could provide more photo's (I'm doing a little study on this site).
Kmccormack

Postby Kmccormack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Just spotted the Irish Times clock... this really is a great photo then of before it before it was moved around the other side of the block!
Kmccormack

Postby Kmccormack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Question for Paul- I was just looking into Fuller & Jermyn architects with a view to possibly obtaining more info on n. 32 Westmoreland St. I see you indicate in your post that the building may have been built ca. 1912 however according to dictionary of Irish architects Fuller & Jermyn were found in 1916. Unless the design was executed by JAMES FRANKLIN FULLER prior to going into partnership with FREDERICK HERBERT JERMYN? Any ideas?
Kmccormack

Postby KerryBog2 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 am

Fuller’s autobiography ‘Omniana’ published when he was in his 80's does not mention anything about his later practice / partnership. It has scant reference to his architectural work, with a few passing mentions mainly to private houses and a few of his churches for the Irish Ecclesiastical Commissioners. I've sometimes wondered about the Jermyn connection; his grandfather's land agent was a Jermyn. In 1912 Fuller was 77 yrs old.
KerryBog2

Return to Ireland