ESB Headquarters Fitzwilliam Street

Re: ESB Headquarters Fitzwilliam Street

Postby tommyt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 am

As pointed out ,the repro facades on Parnell Sq opposite the Rotunda main entrance have been completed to a very high standard and cannot be faulted by any reasonable judgement.

There is significant scope for a contemporary block of a substantial size including a decent basement to enliven James St. East with the right roof treatment. We don't really 'do' decent roofs in Irish archticetural practice though imo.
tommyt

Postby Paul Clerkin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Grafton Architects Ltd & O’Mahony Pike Architects Ltd, have reportedly won this. No word if it actually will ever be built, or renderings yet.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:49 pm

wow - first #1 Ballsbridge, now this. OMP must have a drawing cabinet in their office with a picture of a big white elephant on it
wearnicehats

Postby missarchi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:31 am

It's a strange state of being you win a competition but you can't show your scheme.
Guess changes are being made or goals posts are moving.
missarchi
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:21 pm

So is everyone still against the idea of forcing the ESB to reinstate the entire terrace with high quality Georgian replicas?
Morlan

Postby SeamusOG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 pm

I grew up fairly close to this location, most of which was built on marshy land basically reclaimed from the sea.

I remember hearing, as a child, that certain works carried out on the original buildings had put extra stress on the wooden piles which supported them. The wooden piles would have been fine under the structures which had earlier been in place, but these extra works eventually necessitated the removal of the original buildings and their replacement with the current structure. Is any of this true?
SeamusOG

Postby shadow » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 pm

If Germany can rebuild most of its historice urban centres with a high degree of autehticity after the war to make up for the cultural destruction of that conflict surely it is possible ot reconstruct fitzwilliam street to make up for the cultural destruction of unbridled urban reconstruction.
shadow

Postby davidarthurs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:56 pm

True. IMO the best of Dublin as an identity is as a Georgian City. I'd hate to see what they are doing around the North Docks encroaching more and more into the whole city especially the relatively small Georgian spaces that are left.
I was in the ESB building offices many years ago and it a maze of small cubicles with no air - truly hideous. I'd imagine it is horrible to work in.
davidarthurs

Postby thebig C » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I had a stroll around "former" Georgian enclaves in North Dublin City recently. Its a truely depressing and dismal sight. When in a way makes a mockery of ABPOs refusal of the NCH on the grounds that it is a historic area.

I a sense though, the scale of destruction wrought in the North City makes it all the more important that what remains is consolidated and preserved. If ever there was a case for sensitive reconstruction (not pastiche a la Mount Street in the 70s/80s) this is it. A historic wrong would thus be corrected. Frankly, given how attitudes had changed, I was rather surprised that the ESB pushed ahead with this project.

C
thebig C

Postby StephenC » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:21 am

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Will it be a touchstone for the growing interest in Dublin's Georgian area?

ESB to tear down Dublin block that ruined ‘Georgian Mile’
New development will not see restoration of Georgian facade - by Olivia Kelly

Almost 50 years since the demolition of 16 Georgian houses in what was described by conservationists as one of the worst acts of vandalism in the history of the State, the ESB plans to redevelop its headquarters on Dublin’s Fitzwilliam Street.
The company intends to knock the offices designed by Sam Stephenson and Arthur Gibney and apply to Dublin City Council for permission for a scheme double the capacity of the existing building.
However, it does not intend to comply with the council’s policy that it should restore the lost Georgian facades of the street.

Mansion House protest
Plans announced by the ESB in the early 1960s to break up what was Dublin’s longest Georgian facade, from Mount Street to Leeson Street, resulted in a resistance campaign which culminated in nearly 1,000 Dubliners attending a protest meeting at the Mansion House in 1962.
Dublin Corporation heeded the protests and refused permission for the demolition. But on September 30th, 1964, the day before the new Planning Act which established a national planning system came into force, Neil Blaney, then minister for local government, signed an order overturning the corporation’s decision. Protests continued but destruction of the 16 houses went ahead.
In the 1990s the ESB made an attempt at amends when it considered a plan, also by Stephenson, to re-establish the Georgian facade as a Millennium project. But this was deemed problematic and rejected.
The company, four years ago, announced its intention to rebuild its headquarters. Since that announcement a new city development plan was passed which gave councillors the opportunity to ensure the ESB would have to include restoration of the 16 facades in any new development on the site.

Restoration policy
Fianna Fáil Cllr Jim O’Callaghan, who proposed inclusion of the restoration policy in the development plan, said the company’s new scheme fails to take the council’s policy into account.
“This is the last opportunity to reinstate Fitzwilliam Street . . . Some effort should have been made by the ESB to reinstate the Georgian facade.”
The ESB conceded that its new design by Grafton Architects and O‘Mahony Pike Architects does not involve full facade reinstatement but said it “re-interprets” but “respects” the surrounding architectural heritage.

Background: Widespread opposition to ESB’s 1962 plan to demolish houses
The announcement by the ESB in 1962 that it planned to demolish 16 houses on Lower Fitzwilliam Street provoked widespread opposition from conservationists, but it also got some support from architectural students who wanted to see modernism enshrined in Dublin’s Georgian core.
Opponents included the new Irish Georgian Society, leading actor Micheál MacLiammóir and artist Seán Keating, who warned that “the next move will be to feed the books in the library of Trinity College to the boilers of the Pigeon House” – then an ESB power station.

No doubt the current design 're-interpreted' and 'respected' the originals as well
StephenC
Old Master

Postby gunter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 am

Architecturally, you have to say, it is a clever idea;

Piss everyone off equally . . . . . and collect a big cheque.
gunter
Old Master

Postby thebig C » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:27 pm

On a first look at the renders, I can't say I'm too impressed. It seems to repeat the mistakes of the past and even has a nod to the utterly fake Georgian pastiche facades in vogue in the 70s/80s.

I guess this is just an all or nothing case. Either restore the streetscape faithfully or leave it as is...which allows restoration to occur in the future.

In fact, I don't see why the ESB are wedded to this site. During the boom, they were actually contemplating a move to Sandyford. There has never been a better time to aquire either a completed Office block or a zoned site. They could even opt for a move of less the 1 km and get a great site in the Docklands. Afterall, even back in the 60s many commentators urged a move to less sensitive areas.

C
thebig C

Postby missarchi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Is this the original design from 2011? Or will we never see it?
missarchi
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland