Building works in Dublin 8

Building works in Dublin 8

Postby Cathal Dunne » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm

I was taking a bus into and out of Town along the quays yesterday and I noticed that there was a lot of activity along the southwestern quays. Guinness/Diageo have a number of diggers working behind their walls at Victoria Quay, the Top forecourt has been closed on Usher's Quay to allow for redevelopment and I noticed a couple of new cranes/plant hire working on the unfinished part of Heuston South Quarter. So, I ask my fellow archiseekers, what's going on at these places and what new additions to Dublin's cityscape can we look forward to?
Cathal Dunne

Re: Building works in Dublin 8

Postby gunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 am

Guinness seemed to be un-roofing a shed just behind the wall opp Heuston, the filling station on Ushers Quay has been closed down and blanked off with an impressive hoarding - looks like it's a hoarding built to last. The crane activity at Heuston South Quarter was just a mobile crane coming in to take away the dormant tower cranes that have been standing there for the last few years.

Nothing on the horizon now.
gunter
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks for the reply, gunter. I'm disappointed to hear that there won't be anything new to look at along the quays but grateful to be enlightened as to what's going on. They seem to have completed the unroofing in Guinness'. I wonder if it has something to do with their plans to centralise brewing at their St. James' Gate brewery?
Cathal Dunne

Postby Punchbowl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:14 am

As far as I know, the corner where they are currently taking apart the warehouse is to be a public plaza, opened up specifically to have a view of Heuston Station. The new brewhouse is harder to call. I've read the planning app, but I'm none the wiser. All I know is that six or seven buildings are due to be demolished as part of the plan, so it really could be anywhere

All brewing operations are to be moved to the Quayside, but I would imagine this will take a number of years to complete, so not 100% sure that the current works have anything to do with it. Unless they believe PP to be a foregone conclusion!!!
Punchbowl

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I thought I'd update this thread with some recent observations based on bus journeys along the south quays. It seems that the Top garage has not been closed indefinitely - the place is simply being redeveloped at the moment. I wonder are they installing bio-diesel pumps and electric charging points to future-proof the place? Guinness (or, more precisely, Diageo) have begun clearing space for their new brewing facility so that will be an addition to our city. gunter is right about Heuston South Quarter, the place has gone back to its slumber since the crane has been taken down. I wonder will we ever see the "underground" carpark covered with some office and residential blocks?

There's also some work going on at the "River Bank" building along the quays. It's a good sign considering the place has lain vacant for years so it'd be a bonus to see the place filled by something.
Cathal Dunne

Return to Ireland