Re: Beamish

Postby wearnicehats » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Amazingly, this has been granted.

I must say, I'm surprised.

HI HO HI HO it's off to ABP we go...
wearnicehats

Postby who_me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Fantastic that a development looks like going ahead. Terrible that that development is going ahead.

Huge. Bland. Unsuited/unsympathetic to the location.
who_me

Postby PVC King » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 pm

With large schemes there is a huge danger consent is given on soft terms as local authorities don't want to be seen to be anti-devleopment and anti-employment in a tough economy. Then development precendent is created and is wheeled out when the market recovers; the case of Ray Burkes exploration licenses in 1993 should not be forgotten; if a consent that under normal circumstances would be refused is granted on 'stimulus grounds' the length of the grant must ensure it is commenced within a 3 year timeframe and not used tactitcally when the market recovers. Please appeal this; it is wrong for Cork which other than Merchants Quay has preserved a great City Centre with very few mistakes; Heineken make enough money, I don't need my dividends increased at the expense of something like this.
PVC King

Postby kite » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:49 am

Thankfully the National Conservation and Heritage Group have taken this to ABP. :clap:
kite

Postby nilachseall » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 am

1. Beamish factory by crosses green.jpg

The Beamish site contains evidence of brewing traditions going back at least two hundred years. If we flatten the entire place, this will be lost forever. We need smaller-scale, appropriate redevelopment schemes that accentuate the historical and architectural attributes of a place.

I'm very worried about Cork's indifference to its own architectural heritage. So many endangered sites and so much indifference. It's very strange.
nilachseall

Postby green_jesus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm

€150m project gets go-ahead at Beamish site

By Stephen Rogers

Thursday, January 05, 2012

AN BORD Pleanála has given the green light for a €150 million development, including a 6,000-seat event centre, on the site of Ireland’s oldest brewery in Cork city.

The planning appeals board backed Cork City Council’s decision to grant permission for the Heineken Ireland/BAM Property joint project at the Beamish and Crawford site. It has imposed 24 conditions.

The National Conservation and Heritage Group, which opposed the development, has said it will appeal the decision to the European Parliament.

As well as the 11,339sq m event centre, the developers applied to build an eight-screen cinema, two pedestrian bridges, a viewing tower, 46 student apartments with 206 bed spaces, a visitor centre, 10 artists’ studios and various restaurants, shops, bars and galleries.

The whole development was to be spread over seven buildings ranging in height from four to seven storeys.

A decision on whether to grant planning permission had not been expected before February 8 but details of the approval have been published on the board’s website.

The conditions it places upon the developers include the removal of floors from several of the proposed buildings to "preserve views and in the interest of protecting the amenity of adjoining property".

It also orders the developers to facilitate Cork City Council in "archaeological appraisal of the site, and in preserving, recording or otherwise protecting archaeological materials or features which may exist within it".

It said this was to conserve the site’s archaeological heritage and to secure the preservation of any remains which may exist there.

It also ordered that the medieval laneways around the site should be commemorated by the insertion of name plaques, which should be submitted for the approval of Cork City Council.

Most of the rest of the conditions were standard requirements in most planning applications.

Damien Cassidy of the National Conservation and Heritage Group said his organisation "half expected" the decision because of the pressure at present to create jobs.

"However, this could have been built in four or five other places," he said.

"Owen O’Callaghan has an application in for the same thing in a different location," he said.

Mr O’Callaghan wants to build a €50m development in Albert Quay which would include an event and conference centre with capacity for 5,000 people seated, or 7,500 people standing.

Mr Cassidy welcomed the news that part of the Counting House at the Beamish and Crawford site would be saved, with the developers ordered to submit plans for a museum.

However, he said his organisation would appeal the decision to the European Parliament on the basis that it is a heritage site.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/150m-pro ... z1iaQhbK8R
green_jesus

Postby kite » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Had time to read the ABP report on their website.
All I can say is...money talks ! :thumbdown:
kite

Postby thebig C » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I think some of the renders actually look reasonably good....apart from the blank stark wall facing the river!! However, a conference centre here would ultimately kill off the proposed coinference venue in the docklands....which has the potential to be a much better site!
thebig C

Postby kite » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:55 pm

The planning application for the concert venue in the docklands was withdrawn on the day ABP granted permission for the Dutch duo of Heineken & BAM.
kite

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

what's going on with this development?

I see the one in Albert Quay has now been with ABP for 8 months

8 months.
wearnicehats

Postby wearnicehats » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm

wearnicehats

Postby barneymagee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 pm

An Bord Pleanala is expected to announce a decision shortly on the Owen O'Callaghan concert venue.
It will then be a case of O'Callaghan and Heineken making submissions to the City Council for public funding. Whoever the Council picks will obviously go ahead with the other presumably being cancelled. O'Callaghan has been more vocal and said he could start work on his before the end of the year if he gets investment from the City Council.
I'd say the Howard Holdings site where the Live at the Marquee concerts take place is a non runner.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2013/04/23/ev ... -new-jobs/
barneymagee

Postby who_me » Mon May 20, 2013 6:30 pm

thebig C wrote:I think some of the renders actually look reasonably good....apart from the blank stark wall facing the river!! However, a conference centre here would ultimately kill off the proposed coinference venue in the docklands....which has the potential to be a much better site!

That's the thing that galls me. I've no problem with an event centre at that location, but a massive, bland wall like that is very poor, particularly in light of the surrounding buildings (the Counting House, the Elizabethan fort, St. Finbarr's cathedral etc. I assume it'll also block off the view of St. Finbarr's from along the South Mall, which would be a real pity. It's one of the really pretty views in the city centre.
who_me

Postby browser » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Interesting to see the Government set aside €10m of lotto money in the budget yesterday to help fund the Cork events centre. Accordingly one of the 3 proposals with pp (namely BAM's Beamish proposal, OCP's Albery Quay proposal and the former Howard Holdings docklands proposal - now owned by NAMA?) will be going ahead soon I'd have thought.

From today's IE

http://examiner.ie/budget/news/10m-for- ... 46431.html
browser

Postby Yossarian » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

A friend shared the site below through facebook, I thought it was very interesting. I'm still not completely convinced by the interface with the river, but I'm warming to this idea, not least because of the excellent brand identity they've generated makes me think it could be a big success;

http://www.supportbreweryquarter.com/

I started googling it, and also found this - again, great brand identity;

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Brewery- ... on/7065735

Here's Scott Tallon Walker's scheme as published on their site if you've not seen it;

http://www.stwarchitects.com/project-in ... =09164&t=p
Yossarian

Previous

Return to Ireland