New Advertising in Dublin

Re: New Advertising in Dublin

Postby StephenC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 pm

In fairness its one of the Phase II signs. Only went in the start of March
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:Thats because they're waiting on a sign pointing upwards like a giant finger ;)

Haha, that could be it. I didn't know it was a Phase II sign StephenC, we'll probably have to wait a few weeks for it to be fitted out then. Still no sign of the information panels yet.
Cathal Dunne

Postby StephenC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 am

Oh dear....seems like we are getting Phase II of the Wayfinding Signage on the cheap.

Just to refresh everyones memory. This project was meant to happen when the bikes were rolled out in 2009. It didnt start until May last year when the prototype was installed at City Hall. The promise then was that all would be in place by Sept 2010. Then we had the pallaver of the Irish language prominence on the signage even though mainly tourists use the signage. Phase I finally rolled out in March 2011 with the expectation of a fully completed scheme by June 2011.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 am

Are you surprised?

Someone needs to have the Valuation Office made aware of this signage if they are not; this is extremely valuable outdoor advertising; the country needs all taxes collected. If shortcuts are made then more tax is due.
PVC King

Postby StephenC » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:57 am

No I suppose I'm not surprised. I'm resigned to it at this stage.

Never looked at the wayfinder as a source of free advertising to institutions in the city. Interesting take. I am sure however in the true Irish tradition these institutions feel that DCC is obliged to advertise their premises/businesses. Its worth stating however that Wayfinder was meant to have a cultural slant to help tourist navigate the city. Its not really commercial in the true sense.
StephenC
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Sorry I could have been clearer; I was referring to the Metropoles and 6 sheet installation concessions granted all over the primest spot in the city in return for a few bikes and wayfinding signage; which as you have clearly confirmed is being done Yellow Pack style.
PVC King

Postby StephenC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 am

Finally some energy into the last phase of the Wayfinder scheme. 20 new posts, mainly in the western part of the city centre are currently being installed so hopefully the full scheme will be completed in the next week or so. The teams are even retro-fixing some units where the signage didnt quite point in the right direction

This morning sees the unveiling of the map panels...at least the map panel at the top of Grafton Street. See http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/PressRel ... reets.aspx

The panel will look great I'm sure. They seem to be a panel and a signage post combined. Other locations for these units include O'Connell Street (3), the rail stations and College Green.

All in all taking in the dublinbikes and the on street advertising the public realm has received a real boost from this unified scheme. Apart from the point about distance/walking time not being shown on signs, the design of the whole suit of street furniture is first class.

Alas the need to update the signage regularly can already be seen with the many "Lighthouse Cinema" signs...perhaps Smithfield would have sufficed. And the Docklands scheme, once the standard to be met, now looks increasingly ragged. Some signs are broken to missing and no one has yet thought to update the map panels and units to show the Dublin Convention Centre! Surely most obvious?
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Smithfield Resi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 pm

20 double-sided map panels

Maps one side, advertising on the other?
Smithfield Resi

Postby StephenC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Nah...maps on both. They look smart - honestly. Little DCC logo cut into the based. Backlit I believe.

Aint you got one in Smithfield yet?? :-)
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Taa daaa!

StephenC
Old Master

Postby Morlan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Morlan

Postby Smithfield Resi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh, please. How many years has it been since these were supposed to be built. JC Decaux have them paid for 20 times over in revenue.
Smithfield Resi

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 pm

I've seen a few of these going up around the place alright. They're a good addition and will help tourists and other newcomers get to grips with Dublin's layout. Apparently they're back-lit so it will be interesting to see how they look when the sun goes down. I have to laugh at the time estimates on the maps though. I've traversed the 10 minute distance in half that time.
Cathal Dunne

Postby StephenC » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 am

The roll-out of this scheme is almost complete. The new map panels are all in place and the final few finger signs are being installed.

All in all it must be said the signage is a great addition to the city streets. Its smart, functional and finally gives some consistency to how we navigate our city streets. Combined with the Dublinbikes, the new Dublin Bus stops and (it must be said) the advertisement panels, the scheme now gives a modern branding to the city centre.

In terms of its physical installation it has been first class - hats off to Wallace. The works have all been well executed and not a tarmac lump in sight.

For the most part the signs are well located (the College Green map panel being my personal gripe as well as the lack of panels or signs around O'Connell bridge). The Phase II works have sought to correct finger post signs which were pointing the incorrect way. The anticipated removal of myriad brown finger signs has begun. At some spots, such as the junction of Nicholas Street and High Street and at the bottom of Crown Alley, the difference is noticeable. The process of removing signs is probably far from complete and I remain skeptical as to how much will be removed.

However consistency is the key to the long term success of this scheme. Already a number of signs are out of date! Amazing how fast it happens (signs pointing to Lighthouse Cinema). There have been some omissions...for example no signage to the "City Markets" from Capel Street, despite the planned development of this buildings as a retail spot. And one only has to look to Docklands to see how lack of maintenance affects the signage. Already this once exemplary scheme is looking worn and uncared for. And despite the opening of the National Convention Centre last year, no one has got around to updating the maps and signage - and this being a major institution in the city.

Curiously, given all the palaver about the language issue, I wonder of one could now approach the Language Commissar and complain about the lack of equal prominence given to English on the new signage. And on what basis is white lettering considered to give more prominence than grey? It all appear like a load of bureaucratic nonsense to me. Its also worth pointing our that the separately installed (though complementary) signage scheme around the Aviva stadium happily uses the old format...and without any of the attendant redtape. Curious that.

Now whats next...of yes, a plan to install 3,000 new signage poles about the city so that traffic signs attached to lampstands can be given their own poles...Anyone have any news on that!
StephenC
Old Master

Postby cheezypuf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:40 pm

People who opposed the 'Metropoles' might like to make submissions to DCC's outdoor advertising strategy.

You can read the strategy here
http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/Docum ... rategy.pdf

And make submissions here
http://dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie/out ... rategy.php
cheezypuf

Postby Punchbowl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Couple of large billboards currently going op on Echlin Street (right opposite the Old Harbour pub)
Punchbowl

Postby StephenC » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:19 pm

The next phase of wayfinder signage is to be rolled out in Docklands in the coming weeks, replacing the existing units (many of which are in bits).
StephenC
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 pm

StephenC wrote:The next phase of wayfinder signage is to be rolled out in Docklands in the coming weeks, replacing the existing units (many of which are in bits).

That's good to hear - it'll eliminate at least one design inconsistency in the city. I must say this project has really highlighted how bedraggled the Docklands' Wayfinder Signage had become which is a pity considering it was a great scheme when it was introduced. Hopefully these new signs will be maintained by DCC/JCDecaux because it would be a shame to squander what has been a great addition to the cityscape.
Cathal Dunne

Postby StephenC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 pm

It seems that the commitment to remove the brown wayfinder signage about the city hasn't been acted upon..at least not to any great extent. Wandering about the city at the weekend I noticed loads of locations where the brown signs remain in place beside the new blue...including College Green and Grafton Street. The original plan was for DCC Planning to install the blue signage and DCC Roads to remove the old stuff.

Came across this Tweet at weekend..."Let us know about poles and sign posts in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown that have no sign on them or are redundant: unnecessarysignposts@dlrcoco.ie"
StephenC
Old Master

Postby StephenC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:21 pm

The extension of wayfinder signage to the Docklands are is now ongoing. Most of the posts are in place.

Wandering around Docklands today I couldn't help notice how crap the public realm has become. And tacky shopfronts plastered with signage aren't restricted to Westmoreland Street I see.
StephenC
Old Master

Previous

Return to Ireland