City Library

City Library

Postby CologneMike » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:34 am

The City Library based on the first floor at the Granary will probably have to relocate if / when the Opera Shopping Centre starts construction.

If so, I wonder where would be the ideal location to move.

Design a “purpose built” new building or move into a refurbished building (i.e. disused Church).

Below the Granary and the 1904 erected Carnegie Free Library Building which also housed the City Museum and City Art Gallery up until 1985. The building is now the Limerick City Gallery of Art.

CologneMike
Old Master

Re: City Library

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:46 am

The Franciscan church on Henry St. seems ideal to me. I think it was given to Mary Immaculate College, but surely it could be bought or exchanged for something closer to their own campus? Since the apparent regeneration of the city centre isn't going to be happening for a while, this is a more immediate solution.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby CologneMike » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:09 pm

The Franciscan Church and its Friary would be my favourite candidate too.

It’s a pity from the point of view of access as Henry Street will be part of the orbital route as unfortunately the pedestrianisation programme takes place on the other side of the street.

NewsWire has a piece on his blog from 2006.

Image below from DerHur.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Massamann posted this interesting image of a former Dominican Church turned into a bookstore by Dutch architects Merkx + Girod.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby justnotbothered » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:26 pm

The plan is to rehouse the city library in the God-awful development of Limerick Boat Club.

Would much rather see it moved to an area that needed increased footfall, say Nicholas Street or Mungret St.
justnotbothered

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:08 pm

I thought that boat club plan was refused planning permission.

It's also worth pointing out that the Jesuit Church on the Crescent is empty. The guy who bought it committed suicide because of financial difficulties, so maybe it could be acquired for the library rather than the idiotic plan for it being implemented. I think that putting the library there would improve the area, giving people a reason to go to one of the architectural set pieces of Limerick. Maybe it could be in the context of an improvement of the Crescent in general. The only possible downside is that it might be considered a little far from the very centre of Limerick, but I'd be in favour of expanding the centre towards the Georgian core anyway.
rumpelstiltskin

Postby CologneMike » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 pm

justnotbothered wrote:The plan is to rehouse the city library in the God-awful development of Limerick Boat Club.

I remember reading suggestions for a library on Poor Mans Kilkee, but a plan to rehouse it in the Boat Club proposal is new to me. But now since Michael Daly’s departure, we could say the Boat Club proposal is dead.

Still though maybe by moving the City Library back to the Peoples Park and then making the City Art Gallery the main tenant of the Boat Club Development, could have changed peoples negative perception of it. ;)
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby bonzer1again » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Potentially there could be a few more options coming on the market soon, if the McCarthy report is to be fully implemented then Limerick city and county councils would be merged into a larger council....would that then free up either the county council building at the crescent shopping centre, (where a library is already located) or the civic offices in town.

Also wasn't there talks a few years ago of building a courthouse next to limerick prison so as to minimise security costs involved in transporting prisoners...with a tunnel linking the prison to the courthouse...never know the 4 million they spent doing up the court house in town might now make for a great library.

Personally though the Franciscans church on Henry street would be my preferred option.
bonzer1again

Postby CologneMike » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:55 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:It's also worth pointing out that the Jesuit Church on the Crescent is empty. The guy who bought it committed suicide because of financial difficulties, so maybe it could be acquired for the library rather than the idiotic plan for it being implemented. I think that putting the library there would improve the area, giving people a reason to go to one of the architectural set pieces of Limerick. Maybe it could be in the context of an improvement of the Crescent in general. The only possible downside is that it might be considered a little far from the very centre of Limerick, but I'd be in favour of expanding the centre towards the Georgian core anyway.

Indeed a tragic end to the developer behind the former Jesuit Church. His controversial plans for a “wellness facility” never even got to the planning stage as far as I know.

Certainly access here at the Crescent, would make it a more user friendly building / location than the Franciscans.

Image DerHur

bonzer1again wrote:Also wasn't there talks a few years ago of building a courthouse next to limerick prison so as to minimise security costs involved in transporting prisoners...with a tunnel linking the prison to the courthouse...never know the 4 million they spent doing up the court house in town might now make for a great library.

You could be right! The Courthouse would have the best municipal building facade fitting for a library!

Though I wonder would ripping out the new top spec interior be acceptable.

Image Murray O’Laoire Architects
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Leamy's School

Frank McCourt’s former school in Hartstonge Street would make an interesting location for the City Library too. Author and Teacher what could be more appropriate?

The building went through different uses since Frank’s school days . . . . . Crescent Clothing Firm, a Snooker Club, etc, etc.

I wonder would the rear part of the building be large enough to cater for a library.

CologneMike
Old Master

Postby justnotbothered » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:26 pm

CologneMike wrote:
Still though maybe by moving the City Library back to the Peoples Park and then making the City Art Gallery the main tenant of the Boat Club Development, could have changed peoples negative perception of it. ;)

Yes, all art galleries need large three story glass windows, you can be the first guy to hammer a nail into them to hang a picture...

The design for the boat club isn't suited to either an art gallery or a library, course, it isn't suited to anything except inspiring nausea.

That being said, Limerick Art Gallery has outgrown it's current premises, and the library does need to be replaced. Ideally both would be relocated to Nicholas street, making it a hub of culture in Limerick.

The Courthouse should be moved to beside the prison and the current Courthouse turned into the long awaited arthouse cinema/theatre.
justnotbothered

Postby rumpelstiltskin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:42 pm

justnotbothered wrote:Yes, all art galleries need large three story glass windows, you can be the first guy to hammer a nail into them to hang a picture...

The design for the boat club isn't suited to either an art gallery or a library, course, it isn't suited to anything except inspiring nausea.

The Centre Pompidou in Paris is an art gallery made out of glass. They used this extraordinary French invention called "partition walls" to hang paintings on. What imagination!
rumpelstiltskin

Postby justnotbothered » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:42 pm

rumpelstiltskin wrote:The Centre Pompidou in Paris is an art gallery made out of glass. They used this extraordinary French invention called "partition walls" to hang paintings on. What imagination!

This is the kind of nonsense that gets rolled out when someone points of the obvious flaws with the Boatclub scheme. Does Limerick have a need for, or a collection worthy of, the Centre Pompidou?

Limerick should move away from the pie in the sky schemes so treasured by our city fathers and move towards practical steps to improving the city centre. For example, if you relocated the library and art galley to the King's Island you could massively increase the footfall on Nicolas street, added this to the relatively minor task of converting the Courthouse to cinema/theatre and suddenly we'd actually have a few cultural buildings in close proximity, Cathedral. Castle, City Museum, Hunt Museum, Bishop's palace, library, gallery, arthouse cinema, theatre, Munchins theatre.

Instead we do sweet deals with developers to help them get rich and make the city poorer.

The decision to place the District Court in the City Hall has been a complete disaster, some of the worst scumbags in Ireland hanging around it on any given day.
justnotbothered

Postby CologneMike » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 am

justnotbothered wrote:For example, if you relocated the library and art galley to the King's Island you could massively increase the footfall on Nicolas street, added this to the relatively minor task of converting the Courthouse to cinema/theatre and suddenly we'd actually have a few cultural buildings in close proximity, Cathedral. Castle, City Museum, Hunt Museum, Bishop's palace, library, gallery, arthouse cinema, theatre, Munchins theatre.

I would agree with you that the Englishtown would be the best location for the City Art Gallery. It would give it a higher profile than the Peoples Park area, especially exposing it more to visitors. One of the two vacant sites opposite the castle would be ideal.

But I don’t think the Englishtown would be a suitable location for the library because the city centre is where the footfall is or should be. Therefore people who shop, work, go to school or take the bus home from the city centre would find it more convenient to lend books, media etc, etc on weekly basis.

Maybe the original purpose built “Carnegie Free Library Building” at the Peoples Park is the most practical move (financially). Its only 200 metres or so from O’Connell Street and it is on the planned “Orbital Route”.
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby CologneMike » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Three years on, and no progress on funding for new library (Limerick Independent)

Written by Rachael Finucane

NO PROGRESS has been made on getting Government funding for a new city library after the application was made over three years ago, a council meeting has heard. Head librarian, Dolores Doyle, told the Arts, Sports and Culture SPC that the site earmarked for the new library is the Potato Market—which was only recently referred to by Cllr John Gilligan as in need of development.

A spokesman for the environment department said that in 2008 the council indicated that the total cost of the project was expected to be around €12m with €5m requested from the department. “To put this in context, it should be noted that the total funding available nationally to all library capital projects in 2009 was €8.5m,” he said, adding that when asked to prioritise works the council made “a new central library and HQ its top priority under any new scheme”. “Unfortunately, it was not possible to fund this project at that time [August 2008] due to limits on available funding and the mix of projects approved, spread of projects and deliverability within the two year timeframe of the 2009-2010 programme…All local authority priority projects remain under consideration subject to availability of future funding.”

Ms Doyle said that the council is hoping it might get funding this year to take the project to Part 8 i.e. approval of the plans by the council. “We have met with department officials and they are very much behind the project. Unfortunately, we picked the wrong time to apply as the recession came hot on our heels.” Cllr Kathleen Leddin said that if anything is to be done with the Potato Market site near City Hall and “it should involve civic offices, housing the library, instead of a commercial building”.

Interesting to read where the head librarian, Dolores Doyle, told the Arts, Sports and Culture SPC that the site earmarked for the new library is the Potato Market. I would say the Government will put it on hold until the start of the Opera Shopping Centre. Whenever that is! :(
CologneMike
Old Master

Postby demolition man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:20 am

Councillors want to acquire Limerick city centre church for new library
Jesuits Church

Jesuits Church

By Mike Dwane
Published on Wednesday 19 October 2011 12:39

THE Jesuits have a long history in education in Limerick and while the order may have quit the city centre, councillors want that tradition of learning to continue by acquiring their former church for a new library.

The Church of the Sacred Heart at the Crescent was bought by the late Galway developer John O’Dolan in 2006 for a reported €4 million but is now available at a knockdown price, councillors claimed at a meeting of the cultural committee.

But director of services Pat Dowling reminded members that the Council had previously given the go-ahead to investigate the Potato Market as a potential location for a new city library.

Cllr Kathleen Leddin said the Jesuit Church would be “ideal”. Currently located at an outdated building in The Granary, the library, Cllr Leddin said, had previously been located on Henry Street and Pery Square, at the same end of town as the Jesuit Church.

Cllr Michael Hourigan, meanwhile, urged the Council to make a bid for the property.

“It is on the market again at a fraction of the price it was available for only a few years ago. It would cost hundreds of thousands. We are not talking about millions any more,” he said.

“If not as a library or a museum, we would find some use for it,” Cllr Hourigan said in proposing City Hall acquire the property, seconded by Cllr Kevin Kiely.

Mr Dowling previously told the Council that he had visited the church but this was not to be interpreted as meaning a bid was in the offing.

“It is easy to say it would make a great library but that is something that would take at least 10 years,” he said, adding “significant investment” would be needed to bring the building up to standard.

“The Council did agree,” he said “to pursue a new library at the Potato Market and I wouldn’t like to give a mixed message that we have changed our minds.”

The city needed a “modern, iconic city centre library branch” and funding was being sought from central government for same, Mr Dowling said.

Is the current city library still located in the granary building or has it moved on?
demolition man

Return to Ireland