Art Deco Houses Howth Road Raheny Dublin 5

Art Deco Houses Howth Road Raheny Dublin 5

Postby ditzichick » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi There,
Is there anybody out there who knows the history of those wonderful Art Deco White Houses on the Howth Road in Raheny? Love to know when they were built, who designed them and any other interesting titbits about them. Doing a piece on Art Deco in Dublin - so apart from the obvious Gas Building/Nurses Training Academy and various defunct cinemas in the Greater Dublin Area I am interested in any other hidden gems ....
ditzichick

Re: Art Deco Houses Howth Road Raheny Dublin 5

Postby Bago » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:15 am

Try to get your hands on 'Free state architecture' by Paul Larmour. full of it, and all the info on the kincorra road houses. I picked it up in Noble & Beggarman on South William street.
Bago

Postby DK » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 pm

There's a passage about this particular terrace in Ruth McManus' 'shaping the city and suburbs'. All I can really remember is that the builder advertised the houses as being international and modern,(international modernism) or something like that. See if you can get your hands on a copy of it

They are very unique indeed, always a pleasure to see when I venture over the river.
DK

Postby thebig C » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 pm

These houses also featured in a book we used to have in my parents house. It featured pastell drawings from around Dublin. There was some info on the houses as well, as aparently the author viewed them with his parents when he was young.

I will try to get the name.

C
thebig C

Postby Adolf Luas » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 pm

thebig C wrote:These houses also featured in a book we used to have in my parents house. It featured pastell drawings from around Dublin. There was some info on the houses as well, as aparently the author viewed them with his parents when he was young.

C

The book, published in 1998 is entitled 'Cathal O'Neill's Dublin'.
Adolf Luas

Postby thebig C » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Adolf Luas wrote:
thebig C wrote:These houses also featured in a book we used to have in my parents house. It featured pastell drawings from around Dublin. There was some info on the houses as well, as aparently the author viewed them with his parents when he was young.

C

The book, published in 1998 is entitled 'Cathal O'Neill's Dublin'.

So it was:)!! I looked for it but I think my mother may have sold it:( As I recall there was an illustration of another modernist house somewhere in North Dublin?

C
thebig C

Postby trace » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:53 pm

That was one of a pair of houses in Portmarnock by Noel Moffett.
trace

Return to Ireland