List of poles to be removed by Dublin City Council

Re: List of poles to be removed by Dublin City Council

Postby PVC King » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:26 pm

I wonder if the signs had to be re-done after someone pointed out that they will (in the future) be in breech of legislation because the Irish was not first and was not given equal prominence to English. It's just a guess though. Someone on boards.ie has a photo of one of the signs and pointed out the problems with it. He said he was planning on complaining about every authority that disregards this (fairly pointless) piece of legislation.

Markbp

If I didn't know your background I'd think you were nuts believing something like that; but knowing your expertese in this specific area it really does show how stupid most legislation is. In terms of DCC it wouldn't surprise me if they observed this act and ignored the hundreds or illegally errected billboards all over the city.

Stephen I had to pinch myself not to use similarly choice wording upon reading the quote above.
PVC King

Postby kefu » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 am

Should wayfinder signage, presumably developed in deference to visitors from abroad, really have to carry Irish more prominently than a language tourists might actually have half a chance of understanding.
kefu

Postby wearnicehats » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 pm

does that mean that all the blue and white street name signs are not in compliance? The irish might be on top but it's smaller and narrowerer that the english equivalent

maybe Prime Time could do something on things like this and the pole (signpost) epidemic rather than depressing the shite out of us all with the same financial woe muck every bloody episode
wearnicehats

Postby urbanisto » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Awww, I love all that financial woe and misery stuff LOL Subordinated bond....bring it on!

I agree, the whole Irish Language Act seems to me to have been a seemingly inoccuous and worthy idea about which no one considered the practical consequences.

Having said that Markbp is just speculating that this is the reason for the delay of Wayfinder....it may be something else.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby markpb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Service charge wrote:Jesus as in:

1. we have legislation governing which comes first, cause it clearly matters!!!; or
2. we have a council that can't read?

StephenC is right - it's the Irish Language Act and IIRC it says that Irish must come first and must be given equal prominence to English on all signs. There's a certain amount of leeway until (I think) 2013 and by then all signs erected by government, public and local authorities must be compliant.

PVC King wrote:Markbp. If I didn't know your background

I think you have me mixed up with someone else :)
markpb

Postby urbanisto » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Looking at the unit at City Hall (Barnardos Square or whatever its called), it would appear that both languages get equal billing so maybe the problem isnt that.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby markpb » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:45 pm

There's been an update to the thread on boards.ie.

an investigation by An Coimisinéir Teanga found that those involved with the wayfinding scheme in the Planning & Economic Development Department in the Dublin City Council were breaching the regulations by using colour to give English more prominence over Irish.

As all 683 signs have already been delivered, none will be replaced, but the DCC were strongly warned not to contravene the regulations again by using materials or colours to give English more prominence over Irish for future signage.
markpb

Postby urbanisto » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:21 am

Thats shocking! What a load of cobblers. While I fully respect and value the Irish language, these signs are mainly intended for tourist and non-Irish speakers. I am always proud of the fact that Irish is included on all our signage but a degree of common sense is required here. The signage clearly displays both languages....its a typical quango gone mad when the colour of the text starts being scrutinized.

Another example of the PC-community gone mad are the new Dublin Bus panels at stops. The few I have looked at list the individual stops in Irish only. Now, I can try my best but I dont really know all the names of Dublin's streets as gaeilge. The destination is listed in English and Irish - fair enough - but its impossible to tell what route the bus takes.

Again I would refer back to the fantastic Dublin Transportation Map which was prepared by the Masters student at NCAD and discussed on this forum. A key tenet of his research was the fact that most visitors to the city find it very difficult to navigate our public transport system. These new panels hardly make that easier. I wonder would the Commissioner have a view on the downgrading of English on these panels.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby Cathal Dunne » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 am

I hope the poles erected to hold the new real-time passenger information displays will be fitted soon. They shouldn't go the way of that abortive sign-posting project which still litters our streets. Honestly, do the DCC have no sense of civic pride and sensitivity for the fabric of the urban space? They tarmac over beatiful paving, put unnecessary poles everywhere, fail dismally to enforce proper signage regulations and leave places looking generally shabby.

I've noticed just how out of place these poles are over the past few weeks as my bus stop has been moved as part of the Network Direct scheme. It's now in Georgian Dublin and the parking-times poles really jar with the Georgian townhouses and buildings. They really should be either eliminated or re-designed with aesthetic quality and awareness of context in mind.

Dublin is a great city, but it is woefully served by the authority which is meant to serve it.
Cathal Dunne

Postby Doug C » Fri May 20, 2011 4:14 pm

I understand that works are currently underway to remove signs & posts to Dame Street/College Green this weekend prior to Obama's visit. I wonder how much damage will be done to the historic paving in the process?

Also, does anyone know DCC's plan regarding their replacement? I'd imagine the consensus in this forum is that Sierra should be contracted to put as little as possible back after Obama has gone?

No word back yet from:
roadmaintenance@dublincity.ie
Doug C

Postby Cathal Dunne » Sat May 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Doug C wrote:
Also, does anyone know DCC's plan regarding their replacement? I'd imagine the consensus in this forum is that Sierra should be contracted to put as little as possible back after Obama has gone?

Yes, it would be a great opportunity to finally sort out the poles and signage clutter on College Green. I was walking past it today and they are doing extensive work on creating a platform at the Old Parliament Building. DCC should definitely capitalise on this and make College Green a better place.
Cathal Dunne

Previous

Return to Ireland