Cork Weekend Trip

Cork Weekend Trip

Postby Starch » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Ok...I'm going to Cork for three days and I want to see contemporary and exciting places!.......what do you guys reckon I should get in? What would be your Top 10 must see?

thanks!
Starch

Re: Cork Weekend Trip

Postby gunter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:25 pm

and this - 'Top 10' - is in - Cork?
gunter
Old Master

Postby Starch » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:41 am

...yes.....are you alluding to the possibility that there aren't 10 things to see?!
Starch

Postby gunter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am

How long do we have?
gunter
Old Master

Postby Leesider » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:52 pm

start with UCC for the old and the new
Leesider

Postby Crock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Depends where you are coming from but you could start with

1. The new airport terminal
2. Glucksman Gallery & Student Centre at UCC – also the Kane Building if 1970s is your thing.
3. County Hall refurbishment and library extension
4. Elysian (residential)
5. School of Music
6. City Hall Extension
7. Webworks – office
8. CIT Library
9. Christ the King Church, Turner’s Cross (ok, that's pushing it a bit)
10. Crawford Gallery extension – the old building is not bad either.

All 2-10 within walking distance of city centre.
arguments anyone?
Crock

Postby gunter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 pm

The Crawford should be worth a look, that bulbous extension they put on a few years ago doesn't seem to photograph very well . . . . it'd be good to hear a decent first hand appraisal of it, Starch.

And since you're going there anyway, we could use a good, high res, pic of the mid 18th century 'Panorama of Cork' by Butts, which is in their permanent collection, should be prominantly displayed.

I've marked the bit we need: which is from the entrance to Patrick Street right over to the frame on the left.

The Crawford don't allow photography so you'll have to be cute about it, maybe get wife/girlfriend to set up a minor diversion [I'm thinking low-cut top, but lost contact lens could also work].

If you exhause the contemporary/exciting delights of Cork City sooner than the three days set aside, there's a house on Cork Street in Kinsale that needs photographing. You'll know it when you see it - complex curvilinear gable - only one left in the town apart from the Market House, I think it's currently painted yellow.

A street view would be fine, I'm not sure if there's a good vantage point to the rear. Just occured to me that a good shot of the roof structure is probably achievable from the 'French Prison' museum, which is near by. Obviously if you have other things to do, that's fine as well. If, by any chance, the front door happens to be open, get a couple of shots of the stairs.

Again, only if you run out of things to do.

It's not absolutely crucial.

Nobody's going to be disappointed if you can't get everything.
gunter
Old Master

Postby gunter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm going to assume that things didn't work out too well down below and Starch became another grim crime statistic.

Personally, I'm going to miss his optimism.

Still, life goes on.

I understand that the IAF are planning a jaunt to Kinsale http://www.kinsaleartsweek.com/events/Architecture/14 and consequently the town is likely to be thick with architectural types in the coming days.

With reference to the last post, would it be too much trouble for someone to go round to Cork Street [up the top of the town behind the Market House] and run off a couple of decent shots of the curvilinear gabled house, I think I might have suggested a couple of angles. Obviously arty sketches are acceptable too, just attach them to photographs.

I'd come down there myself, but I'm minding the planet this weekend . . . . . conserving petrol.
gunter
Old Master

Return to Ireland