Killybegs Architectural Competition

Killybegs Architectural Competition

Postby bitasean » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:08 pm

As anyone who took part in the Killybegs competition will know the shortlist results were issued two days ago and congrats to the chosen entrants.

I will admit to being disappointed but not entirely surprised that our submission was not shortlisted but what I am really p***ed off at is the lack of feedback provided to entrants regarding the selection process and the generally unconstructive criticism aimed at architects who paid money for the privilege of working hard and submitting entries.

A one page report was issued with the results which stated

"Three general comments can be made regarding ... the entries;
• Lack of innovation regarding this aspirational project
• Standard, conventional arrangements with design intervention of limited architectural merit
• Play value was not addressed "

Since I'm not in a position to dispassionately view these comments can anyone else offer their thoughts on whether this type of bluntly critical appraisal can be justified, or should competition entrants deserve slightly more respect from their assessors?
bitasean

Re: Killybegs Architectural Competition

Postby Paul Clerkin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Who was shortlisted? Haven't received any notification from RIAI yet.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby onq » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:08 pm

RIAI competitions were viewed for years by those of us who weren't members as mere croneyism writ large.

Then I got to talk to some members who I expected to be tarred with the same brush but instead they nodded wisely and said:

"You're right - we never win either...!"

So even within the RIAI there was perceived to be a cabal that won all the competitions.

Exactly how objective this point of view is I don't know.

As to the original poster - welcome to the RIAI Competition environment.

I prefer to see full and frank comments posted á la the AAI awards, where the selection process is actually documented into the form of a book.

Very impressive stuff and useful insights gained into the heads of judges.

The pity is that both in the AAI and the RIAI - many of whose members are part of both organisations, there is a slavish devotion to clipped modernism and rationalism that is hard to dislodge or better.

Some weird and wonderful "erratics" are creeping in though and I hope to see great things in what seems to be a resurgence of Irish design.

This could be the reason for the pithy negative comments - known in college as having had a "hard crit".

Buck up, learn from the winners and do better next time.

Remember, a collection of painted 40ft. containers won the Point Deport / Dublin Parlour competition, in front of many more mature and considered designs.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby missarchi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Competitions are good to a certain point then if you have the imagination you can set your own brief...
(much more fun)
missarchi
Old Master

Postby bitasean » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 am

Since the entrants are all anonymous we do not yet know who has been shortlisted. My best wishes to those who were successful though.

One final point about the juries response:

What really annoys me about this is the way it discourages people who wouldn't normally enter competitions from ever doing so again. I have completed entries for several competitions over the past five years and despite never being shortlisted I do not regret the time and effort that went into making these submissions. For me, competitions represent a chance to engage with challenging briefs and work with a team of like minded enthusiastic people. To win a competition would be fantastic but its certainly not the only reason to enter one. What saddens me about this competition however is that we had people on board who normally wouldn't agree with the notion of working for free and despite this very logical hang-up they seemed to really enjoy it. Now however I fear they may never choose to contribute again and I can't say I really blame them. We did after all have to shell out €100 for the privilege of a public crit.
bitasean

Postby onq » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Paul Clerkin wrote:Who was shortlisted? Haven't received any notification from RIAI yet.

Why would you expect to receive notification Paul?

Did you enter the competition or is this a means of informing Joe Public?

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Return to Ireland