Yep, I'm New Here...

Anything you would like to see on the website?

Yep, I'm New Here...

Postby Glenn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 am

Greetings all from Winnipeg, in the middle of Canada.

I've been looking at this site for a few days and finally decided to join it. I came across it thanks to Google, where I was looking for historic pictures of Dublin in general, and O'Connell Street in particular.

I am not an architect, sorry; I'm actually a lawyer. However, I was a History major in University, and I do appreciate old buildings. I studied Modern History including Irish History, especially with respect to Easter 1916 and the events of 1922. I minored in English, and did read Ulysses, which is, after all a book about Dublin's buildings, among other things.

My then- wife and I honeymooned in Dublin in 1989, because we wanted to go somewhere that wasn't so touristy and had a tremendous amount of history besides, and since we both had Irish in our backgrounds (hers from County Tipperary, mine from County Armagh), Dublin seemed like a logical choice, especially as the city had celebrated its Millenium the year before. We were in the city for two out of three weeks, the first spent at the Dergvale Hotel on Gardiner Place, the third at Kelly's Hotel on Great Georges Street. We had to leave during the second week due to lack of accomodations because of the football final, and since Cork was playing Mayo, we decided to spend a few days in Cork, and then made a side trip to Liverpool.

What struck us was that so much history was present in Dublin within easy walking distance, and what couldn't be walked to was easy to get to because of the presence of very easy transportation routes, such as the Guinness Brewery at St. James' Gate, Kilmainham Gaol, and Joyce's Martello Tower down in Dun Laoghaire. It was easy enough for us to do our own Ulysses tour as well as see the 1916 sites, and we found everyone to be very friendly.

Someday soon, I want to get back there; although I have spotted little differences, especially on the O'Connell Street thread, things look pretty much the same today as they were 20 years ago, still lots of beautiful historic buildings.
Glenn

Re: Yep, I'm New Here...

Postby LOB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Welcome Glenn, Not everyone on the site is an Architect and that's the way we like it
LOB

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:37 am

Thank you, LOB!
Glenn

Postby gunter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:09 pm

'The Dergvale', Glenn, :rolleyes: no wonder the marriage didn't last, could you not have dragged yourselves up the street to the Lyndon House, given yourselves a chance.

You make a very valid point that many people make the decision to visit a city based on the history and heritage of the place, and when they get there, being able to feel that sense of history and heritage is very important.

This is a difficult quality to quantify, or put a value on, but it is real and it is vital.

Be interested to hear what you'd have to say about the place when you make a return visit.
gunter
Old Master

Postby onq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Geez Gunter - you're about a subtle as a sledge hammer to the back of the head!
Apologise for that uncalled for remark, or I will visit the Curse of CK upon your head and make you out to be a total asshat.
And while I'm all for getting a sense of the history of a place, that's a picture of a laneway you posted and that's a little too much "raw history" for me!

ONQ.
Last edited by onq on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onq
Old Master

Postby onq » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Glenn wrote:Greetings all from Winnipeg, in the middle of Canada.
(snip)
I am not an architect, sorry; I'm actually a lawyer. However, I was a History major in University, and I do appreciate old buildings. I studied Modern History including Irish History, especially with respect to Easter 1916 and the events of 1922. I minored in English, and did read Ulysses, which is, after all a book about Dublin's buildings, among other things.
(snip)
Someday soon, I want to get back there; although I have spotted little differences, especially on the O'Connell Street thread, things look pretty much the same today as they were 20 years ago, still lots of beautiful historic buildings.

Welcome Glenn and don't mind Gunter.

Ireland experienced the Tiger years since you were here - some people seemed to become rich and ignorant.
However all that's "changed, changed utterly" in the last two years and hopefully we will be returning to saner times.
You may find some interesting relatively current pictures of Irish streetscapes on Google Earth by ticking the "Street View" option and going into one of the "globes" and looking at the panorama.
Let us know when you're coming over and someone may be interested in having a drink and/or showing you around.
Gunter will bring a date for you if you're at a loose end.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Return to Suggestions & Announcements