Beamish

Re: Beamish

Postby rofbp » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:49 pm

http://issuu.com/tcmeditorial/docs/echofrontpage/1
here is link to tonight's echo front page.
i think it will expire in 24 hours, as they don't publish online
rofbp

Postby corkblow-in » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Be very interested to see the Council reaction - there's significant industrial archaeology behind the counting house before even getting underground. And as for the riverside parts - the city development plan gives pretty strict requirements for heights along the river (which this appears to happily ignore) and the pocket park required for the south channel seems to have vanished.

Agree about the location for an events centre too - O'Callaghans seems best located to me - close to bus and rail stations, car parks and road network, as well as giving a further boost to moving towards the Docklands. Where on earth has this come from?
corkblow-in

Postby Hopewell » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Going by the artist's impressions I could only call this proposed development an eyesore. Totaly out of character and scale with the area and surrounding the old Counting House with a garish and over-tall bunch of concrete and glass blocks.
Hopewell

Postby nilachseall » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Yes, this is a strange concoction of the worst kind of planning. A couple of sticks of trees, which puts paid to any talk of a park. This plan was drawn up as if the boom had never bust.
nilachseall

Postby jungle » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:32 am

The design leaves a lot to be desired.

I do think that the site is better for an event centre than O'Callaghan's proposal though.

It provides better access to bars and restaurants in the city, which should mean an opportunity to keep visitors spending in the city.

Regarding access, there is probably more parking available around this proposal, although the other one is better for the train station and to a lesser extent the bus station. Against that, a lot number of the events would probably attract a significant student audience and the Beamish site is within easy walking distance of UCC and has direct bus services to the CIT area.
jungle

Postby Yossarian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:00 pm

lets not lose sight of the positives contained in the proposal;

The main one for me is the continuation of Tuckey Street through the site to connect to Wandesford Quay - this is an excellent urban move that has the potential to re-activate that portion of the river and the city quarter beyond.
there also seems to be a move to keep the commercial activity on the street rather that swallow it up in a shopping mall megalith. The site model shows three to five separate buildings with public streets between.
the proposal seems to embrace it's riverside position with the inclusion of a short promenade and active river frontage, something other large commercial developments in the city have overlooked (see Merchant's Quay)
there is talk of retaining brewing and cultural activity on site

all that said, the images also show a disregard for the scale of the built environment, like a fat girl in a clingy dress they're clearly trying to overload the site with floorspace at the expense of a good fit and the result is unattractive, though to continue the analogy such shoe-horning can be and have been disguised with shiny sequins and/or exceptionally large displays of cleavage/merchandise. in the end, the CCC must play the Maitre'D, and while the big girl in the clingy dress is likely to spend a lot of money in the restaurant, she's hardly the most desirable clientele...
Yossarian

Postby Ping Pong » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 pm

The masterplans are on display to the public in the Counting House on Wednesday i believe
Ping Pong

Postby Ping Pong » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Ping Pong wrote:The masterplans are on display to the public in the Counting House on Wednesday i believe

thats wednesday january 19th
Ping Pong

Postby Ping Pong » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:01 pm

the proposed development will be on display in the Counting House tomorrow
Ping Pong

Postby kite » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Dean of St. Fin Barre's reported in today's Irish Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/de ... 42459.html

ps. I wish to agree with posters who feel that this proposal is totally wrong for the Beamish site.
Heineken in Holland spend a lot of time, money and effort to promote the Heineken brewing museum in that country; pity they have total disregard for Irish heritage.
kite

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Am quite surprised by Heineken's attitude to the site here - perhaps head office isn't involved, being managed and is the baby of the local Irish management.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby Ping Pong » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:45 pm

was talking to the facilitator at the public viewing and the times and days to view in the Counting House are:
Thursday January 20th & Frday January 21st from 12-4pm
Tuesday to Friday of the following week also from 12-4pm
Ping Pong

Postby kite » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm

I was at the presentation at the Beamish counting house last night, did not wish to post on the feelings of those present in case my post would not be believed. However the report in tonight’s Evening Echo confirms what I was going to post; the only people I spoke to that were in full favour of the proposal were Heineken and BAM. Every other person I spoke to were expressing anything from ‘some reservations’ to ‘outright shock’ at Heinekens proposal.

The applicants were none too pleased to be told to their faces that the plans were an outrageous attempt to maximise profit to the determent of the city’s heritage. Nor I am sure where they happy that members of the National Conservation and Heritage Group were greeting visitors in a very polite manner at the front gate, outlining their views to invited guests before the guests entered the presentation.
kite

Postby Radioactiveman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Hardly surprising, I imagine these events tend to self-selecting. Only htose who have a problem with the development could be bothered to attend?? maybe...

What's the story with the scaffolding and plastic to the left of the main entrance to the counting house? What's its purpose?
Radioactiveman

Postby who_me » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:17 pm

In fairness, the existing buildings surrounding the Counting House don't exactly do it must justice either! Just about any development would be an improvement.

It's good to see Tuckey St. being 'continued' through the site (another new street in the city centre? That doesn't happen too often.), and the walkway by the river. The height of the buildings is a bit OTT, and does detract a lot from one of Cork's signature views - that of the cathedral. I know from having lived on the opposing quay - it's a very, very popular photo spot. Looking at some of the other previously proposed developments, for the South Main St. car park site, and the site by Crosses Green - not to mention the new Jurys! - it seems like protecting this view doesn't seem to be much of a priority for many.

It would be great to have something in that area - the whole street has been so run down for decades now.
who_me

Postby barneymagee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

The scaffolding to the side of the Counting House is a temporary ramp for wheelchair access to the building.
I assume it will be there while the building is open to the public to view the plans.
barneymagee

Postby Radioactiveman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks Barney.
Radioactiveman

Postby Radioactiveman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 am

Some images of the development taken from the planning file. This doesn't allow me to upload the images directly, so just click on the links.

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/bc1i.png/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/bc2vd.png/
http://img257.imageshack.us/i/bc3k.jpg/
http://img814.imageshack.us/i/bc4a.jpg/
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/bc5w.jpg/
Radioactiveman

Postby lawyer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for the images.
It looks enormous and out of keeping with the other buildings in the area.
Having said that , the view from Elizabeth Fort does look quite impressive.
lawyer

Postby PVC King » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm

There should be a rule against fluffy clouds to deliberately mask bulk in images submitted. This would look very different in reality or in an image against a blue sky; a wolf in sheeps clothing.....
PVC King

Postby kite » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm

The heads of the planning department should be displayed outside the counting house (like the convicts heads were years ago) if this joke of a development is passed.

Really cannot see the Dean of St. Fin Barres allowing this without a fight on his watch as guardian of the national monument under his care.
kite

Postby who_me » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 am

Last time going by the Counting House - it like a wheelchair ramp was being added to the steps leading up to the front door of the building. If that's what it is - it's great that they're making the building more accessible, but I'd worry how well that'll fit in with the rest of the building.

Judging by their proposals, they don't exactly look like the most subtle and sympathetic of owners.
who_me

Postby rofbp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Radioactiveman wrote:Some images of the development taken from the planning file. This doesn't allow me to upload the images directly, so just click on the links.

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/bc1i.png/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/bc2vd.png/
http://img257.imageshack.us/i/bc3k.jpg/
http://img814.imageshack.us/i/bc4a.jpg/
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/bc5w.jpg/

thanks
that last image in particular seems really misleading, as the view is looking down on the building so much that it is below the horizon!! where is that camera supposed to be?

they do something similar in the first and second pictures, as they line up the roofline of the new building with roofs in the foreground

the bridge in the 4th and 5th pictures looks interesting. that is about the only positive remark i can make.
rofbp

Postby Junior » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:02 am

Interestingly the fact that the Beamish site is within the OPW urban archaeological survey of Cork, a hell of a lot of excavations will have to be undertaken prior to any development, this has not really been addressed in the initial development plans. The underlying archaeology will inevitably influence the final design/structure-whether foundation piling would be necessary etc.
Junior

Postby jollyjohnie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 pm

The proposed development would seem to be the wrong size, in the wrong place, to be used for the wrong reasons. It smacks of all that has been wrong in property development in Ireland for the last decade, shoving as much commercial floorspace into as tight a spot as possible.

Just the traffic implications should rule it out.

This site should be the centre of a heritage trail running from Gaol cross to the UCC Quad, the Honan Chapel, Canty's field, St FinBarres, Elisabeth Fort, South gate Bridge, Bishop lucey Park & The English Market.

It is absolutely appropriate that an events centre should be in the docklands area. To shoe Horn and events centre in to the Beamish & Crawford site makes no sense.

If treated sensitively it could be the centre of a cultural area deserving of international recognition.

Couldn't the development of this site be associated with the development of Elisabeth fort on one side and Christ church on the other, anchoring it in a wider cultural/ heritage area? ( A mad idea, but letting the imagination fly - how about a cable car from the walls of elisabeth fort to the site? - I just think more imagination is required - Would a Guggenheim fit there? let's get some green space at least).

The archaeology & heritage should be respected, - a micro brewery & brewery museum, a museum dedicated to the wine geese, an incubation centre for entrepreneurship, actively using the network of Irish founded vineyards globally to demonstrate the power of Irish entrepreneurial spirit.

It is a jewel in the heart of Cork & I believe it could shine & bring revenues to the City if treated sensitively, imaginatively and with some flair. Let's aim a bit higher.
jollyjohnie

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland