Planning Application - changing what you have applied for?

Planning Application - changing what you have applied for?

Postby lady louisa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Situation is....I have applied for planning permission (for a client) for an extension to the rear and we have been asked for further information...nothing major to be addressed there.

However....my client has decided that they would like to move the rear wall another few feet ie. the dimension is currently 4500 out from the back wall of the house and they would like it to be 5000 or 6000. So essentially change the extent of the extension. The rear garden can comfortably accommodate the revised extension, POS etc.

Should I forget about the Further Information, which we haven't lodged yet and withdraw the application and then re-apply with the revised drawings and basically address the FI issues then.

Would value anyones opinion on this?

Thanks

LL
lady louisa

Re: Planning Application - changing what you have applied fo

Postby teak » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Situation is....I have applied for planning permission (for a client) for an extension . . . .

This kind of implies that you are some sort of architect.
But then, if you are, you ought know what you should do in these cases.

I'm goosed on this.
On the face of it, it is a question for an architect -- preferably with some years experience making applications to the relevant planning office.

Normally stuff done to the rearside is much easier to pass planning than frontside changes.
Is there another complication factor ?
Like, is the rearside of the house visible to other dwellers or passers-by ?
Is there 2 storeys to the rear extension ?
How far away are the rearmost neighbours ?

Can you upload a plan so that the architect members might venture an opinion for you ?

But whatever else you may do -- do not neglect this glorious chance to scold your client !
teak

Postby Tayto » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:10 pm

The planners aren't hugely busy these days so you should ring them up and ask them straight out what they think.
It might be a bit cheeky extending the extension by 33% (4.5m deep to 6m deep) but it probably doesn't require a rewording of the statutory notices. (Unless you've specified the area in the notices).
There is also an issue with the area of the extension which you have indicated on the planning form. This would have to be changed.
That's why you should call the planner - they may be willing to accept the new area on the planning form and they may accept that the statutory notices adequately describe the development, in which case you won't need a new application.
Tayto

Postby tommyt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 pm

There's plenty of unemployed planners who would love a slice of your nixer income LL - you should team up.

I may throw a post on the main board for see if anyone will do 25sqm utility room extension scheme and see if I'll get it for nothing :-)

Yeah ring the planner- you may get away with a 'Significant FI- Revised Plans' route and you only need readvertise or you will be advised to withdraw the application.
tommyt

Postby lady louisa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 pm

tommyt wrote:There's plenty of unemployed planners who would love a slice of your nixer income LL - you should team up.

I may throw a post on the main board for see if anyone will do 25sqm utility room extension scheme and see if I'll get it for nothing :-)

OK have read and re-read that post and haven't a clue?

I am self employed architect, they are not nixers, they are my sole income.

I am not that young or inexperienced but in the past I would have always bounced questions off more experienced colleagues. Thats what I have been using Archiseek as a replacement for as I don't have "colleagues" now.

Thanks for the observation anyway......
lady louisa

Postby urbanisto » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:39 pm

You should be able to submit revised plans as FI with new notices. As the others say, check with the case Planner. Don't forget though, with new notices you open the application to 2 more weeks of observations.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby tommyt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:27 am

lady louisa wrote:
tommyt wrote:There's plenty of unemployed planners who would love a slice of your nixer income LL - you should team up.

I am not that young or inexperienced but in the past I would have always bounced questions off more experienced colleagues. Thats what I have been using Archiseek as a replacement for as I don't have "colleagues" now.

jayz, Wind your neck in, I gave you a gentle ribbing then answered your query. Architects seeking free advice is a running joke amongst myself and my colleagues. So did stephen- we're used to 'phone a friends' it'sthe nature of the game.
tommyt

Postby Tayto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 pm

tommyt wrote:
lady louisa wrote:

jayz, Wind your neck in, I gave you a gentle ribbing then answered your query. Architects seeking free advice is a running joke amongst myself and my colleagues. So did stephen- we're used to 'phone a friends' it'sthe nature of the game.

Is this in relation to architects calling up planners in Local Authority Planning departments in relation to planning applications?
Is this what you refer to as seeking "free advice"?
Tayto

Postby tommyt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Tayto wrote: Is this in relation to architects calling up planners in Local Authority Planning departments in relation to planning applications?

No, calling private sector planning consultants - free advice dispensed with good cheer to mooching architects most days!
tommyt

Postby Tayto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:48 pm

tommyt wrote:
Tayto wrote: Is this in relation to architects calling up planners in Local Authority Planning departments in relation to planning applications?

No, calling private sector planning consultants - free advice dispensed with good cheer to mooching architects most days!

Ah sure that's grand - I nearly launched into one of those internetweb-thing rants there - that was a close one. The arthritis and rheumatism has me cranky. Phew.
(I'll get my coat).
Tayto

Postby onq » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:28 pm

lady louisa wrote:Situation is....I have applied for planning permission (for a client) for an extension to the rear and we have been asked for further information...nothing major to be addressed there.

However....my client has decided that they would like to move the rear wall another few feet ie. the dimension is currently 4500 out from the back wall of the house and they would like it to be 5000 or 6000. So essentially change the extent of the extension. The rear garden can comfortably accommodate the revised extension, POS etc.

Should I forget about the Further Information, which we haven't lodged yet and withdraw the application and then re-apply with the revised drawings and basically address the FI issues then.

Thanks

LL

Unless the further information materially varied the application in terms of its description [a rear extension is a rear extension] I would susggest that no re-advertisement is necessary.

You could discuss this with the planner but re-advertising is costly and in this case sounds like it is unnecessary.

I would advise your clients, and offer to your planner that you would circulate your neighbours with the revised plans as a courtesy.

If, as you have implied, they are the only ones materially affected by the changes.

Lots of colleagues to ask for advice on here Lady Louisa - don't hesitate to ask.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby onq » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm

lady louisa wrote:Situation is....I have applied for planning permission (for a client) for an extension to the rear and we have been asked for further information...nothing major to be addressed there.

Thanks

LL

Unless the further information materially varied the application in terms of its description [a rear extension is a rear extension] I would susggest that no re-advertisement is necessary.

You could discuss this with the planner but re-advertising is costly and in this case sounds like it is unnecessary.

I would advise your clients, and offer to your planner that you would circulate your neighbours with the revised plans as a courtesy.

If, as you have implied, they are the only ones materially affected by the changes, this may satisfy any concerns arising.

Lots of colleagues from whom to ask advice on here Lady Louisa - don't hesitate.

ONQ.
onq
Old Master

Postby urbanisto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 pm

I would concur with ONQ - check with the planner beforehand. If he or she is reasonable they may allow you to resubmit without a notice.
urbanisto
Old Master

Postby lady louisa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi All,

Wow, thanks for all the advice. All sound.

I think I will defer the phonecall to the planner until after the 4th January...I don't think she would be too helpful the day before Christmas eve somehow :0)

tommyt I nearly fell off the chair laughing with your " jayz wind your neck in comment"

I'm signing off now for the Crimbo heading to a part of the country with no internet access....if I get there that is...

Happy Christmas everyone and I look forward to months more of "free" advice in 2011 !!!

LL :0)
lady louisa

Return to Ireland