Luas, Metro and DART - Drawings and Photomontages

Re: Luas, Metro and DART - Drawings and Photomontages

Postby PVC King » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:55 am

I am saying the "gaps" will mostly remain and added to that (for most current DART users... including me)

Evidence?

will be a lengthy interchange time, both ways.

150m down an escalator......
PVC King

Postby cagey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:04 pm

What evidence... don't be silly ... the proposal is to reroute the DART from the North to Heuston via Docklands Underground and the gaps will remain.
In this forum I am inviting architectural "fixes" for the DART Underground as proposed.
CIEs proposal was based on the "Loop line" being the biggest bottle-neck but as a DART user I known that is not the case. The lack of four-tracking is by far the worst bottle-neck.
cagey

Postby PVC King » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:29 pm

The only section of the network where all trains currently travel is between the Royal and Grand Canal's; by diverting all northbound DARTS via the interconnector tunnel 30-40% of traffic is removed from this constrained environment and given access to the key commercial and civic zones in the City. You are the first person in this forum to ever complain at having the ability to have a direct service to Stephens Green instead of Tara Street, Christchurch instead of Connolly.

4 tracking the northern line is a worthy medium term objective, however getting a luas line to the airport would be a greater priority along with some other public transport projects such as Metro West either built as Dart spurs or Luas feeding into Luas North.
PVC King

Postby cagey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 am

PVC King wrote:You are the first person in this forum to ever complain at having the ability to have a direct service to Stephens Green instead of Tara Street, Christchurch instead of Connolly.

When I am wrong, I say sorry. When you are wrong you come up with a direct lie. I never complained about a service to St Stephen's Green and that is not the center of the city.
cagey

Postby PVC King » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:46 am

So you support the service then?

In employment density and retail intensity terms Stephens Green is the centre of the City; distances may for the pruposes of maps be measured from the GPO but that reflects historic and out of date development patterns as against where people travel to most.
PVC King

Postby cagey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 pm

PVC King wrote:So you support the service then?

So what's wrong with "sorry"????

I bet more people travel to Blanchardstown S.C. and surrounds than to St Stephen's Green. If so, by your argument electrification to Coolmine and Clonsilla should take priority over DU. Now isn't that a good idea?? after the four-tracking north of course.

Of course the whole system should be "joined up", and platform destination choice should be the standard goal.
cagey

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 am

I think you will find electrificiation to Maynooth is on the cards within or a couple of years after the interconnector completes. Electrification to Maynooth won't be too far behind nor will electrification to Balbriggan and staggering station calls between Connolly/Spencer Dock and Howth Junction something along the lines of

Dart

IC
Clontarf Rd
Killester
Raheny
Howth Junction

Northern Line

Connolly
Clontarf Rd
Harmonstown
Kilbarrick
Howth Junction

Would speed up Dart, slow down Northern Commuter and allow passengers from Dart and Northern Commuter to interchange at Clontarf Road to whichever routing they wanted.
PVC King

Postby cagey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

PVC King wrote:...... a couple of years after the interconnector completes.

It will be 4 years at least if DU ever starts and with any luck your "a couple of years after" will mean I will not need the lousy gapped service.

Anything less than 4-tracking is a bad compromise that would severely curtail the trains entering and leaving the DU and compromise the DU RO as it stands. I think they are forecasting a DU train every 3 minutes (would have to check that).
cagey

Postby PVC King » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 pm

As the country moves from the ripping itself apart in the media phase to the time to rebuild under a new administration phase; money will be tight and and only must have projects built; I more than anyone would love to see the exchequer position swapping places with the Singapore Finance ministry (not that they would ever end up with any fiscal deficit beyond a single year) but that is not going to happen any time soon.

3 minute headways with Darts speeded up and outer commuters slowed down would be a very very dramatic improvement on current services which are auwful. Blind confidence in the future is inviting a very bad end and being seen to plan for new projects at this time would be just that, the bond hawks certainly have not gone away; careful and meticulous planning has the potential to deliver progress; Dublin Underground is the key piece of investment in the Irish transport system as the economy returns to better times through carefully targeted investments. Straining the public finances to fund new projects or Metro North will send out all the wrong signals from an economy that needs to be seen as beyond perfect for at least the next 5 years.

I am however confident better times are ahead once a stable government emerges who have the will to get it right; no more Tuam motorways......
PVC King

Postby cagey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:04 am

Have you ever tried to walk across the N17 of Sawdoctor fame at rush hours? I can only presume you know nothing about the N17 otherwise you would not quote Tuam as a bad example.

Continuous 3 minute headways on DU without big "gaps" will never happen without 4 tracking of feeder lines, for the reasons I have already quoted.

The 4 tracking section east of Pearse is ideal for a temporary (2yrs) station while Pearse is outfitted with DU underneath, but the DU as proposed is looking more and more unlikely, and if it goes ahead a lot of current DART users will be alienated.
cagey

Postby PVC King » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 am

The N17 of Sawdoctor fame was actually Kilburn High Road at rush hour in practice; if you remember the pretext of the song was a 'wish that I was on that N17'. A commuter town of c3,000 people can not justify a motorway in post Lenihan Bros Ireland.

So after the Tuam motorway is built what is actually going to pay for 4 tracking? The Central Bank of Ireland is not the Fed it can't print money when it feels like it. In any event you have not come up with any technical basis as to why playing around with the timetable will prevent 3 min headways; the Northern line in London runs 90 second headways as do the Jubilee and Central lines at peak.
PVC King

Postby cagey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 pm

PVC King wrote:The N17 of Sawdoctor fame was actually Kilburn High Road at rush hour in practice; if you remember the pretext of the song was a 'wish that I was on that N17'.

The words of the song mention turning left for Shannon ... very difficult to do from Kilburn. (say sorry)
Do you ever look anything up???
cagey

Postby PVC King » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Well I didn’t see much future
When I left the Christian brothers school
So i waved it goodbye with a wistful smile
And I left the girls of Tuam
Sometimes when I’m reminiscing
I see the prefabs and my old friends
And I know that they’ll be changed or gone
By the time I get home again.

(Chorus)
And I wish I was on the n17
Stone walls and the grass is green
Travelling with just my thoughts and dreams

Well the ould fella left me to shannon
Was the last time I traveled that road
And as we turned left at claregalway

I could feel a lump in my throat
As I pictured the thousands of times
That I traveled that well worn track
And I know that things will be different
If I ever decide to go back.

(Chorus)

Now as I tumble down highways
Or on filthy overcrowded trains
There’s no one to talk to in transit
So I sit there and daydream in vain
Behind all those muddled up problems
Of living on a foreign soil
I can still see the twists and the turns on the road
From the square to the town of the tribes

(Chorus)
Yes I wish I was on the n17

Not go and troll some other website
PVC King

Postby cagey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm

(Chorus)

Hehehehe hardly Kilburn
For your info the N17 is the number of the road from Tuam to Galway .... say sorry
Last edited by cagey on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cagey

Postby PVC King » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Some of us graduated from Kilburn to places you can only dream of... now F**k off
PVC King

Postby PVC King » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Some of us graduated from Kilburn to places you can only dream of... now F**k off
PVC King

Postby cagey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 pm

PVC King wrote:Some of us graduated from Kilburn to places you can only dream of... now F**k off

You never graduated from prep school
cagey

Postby PVC King » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 pm

We don't do the 11 plus in Ireland so you are right it is a gap in my CV, University and professional association are enough, but its the many years of experience of sorting out gobshites that my clients pay me for; those that can't measure thats worth loads; those that don't understand the bigger picture, kerching.......
PVC King

Postby Morlan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:11 am

Metro North manager says project has broad support

THERE WAS a broad public and political consensus behind Metro North and a new government was unlikely to halt it, the project manager claimed yesterday.

He said the agency had met Opposition transport spokesmen and “Labour and Fine Gael were broadly supportive” of the project.

About €135 million has already been spent on enabling works and planning for Metro North and the Railway Procurement Agency said yesterday that €45 million had been provided for it in the Budget. This brings the total spend on Metro North to almost €200 million before the project has received Government approval.

Both Fine Gael and Labour refused to give an absolute commitment to the project yesterday, claiming such a move would be “irresponsible” before assuming office and seeing the full costs.

Contracts for significant enabling works would be awarded early next year. “Until we sign the public-private partnership we can’t say the project will go the full way . . . but it is a note of confidence that the Government said it will support enabling works over the next year or so.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 80700.html
Morlan

Postby Morlan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 am

These have been out for a while but I though't I'd post them here

DART Underground 3D animations

Pearse Station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9s8znCf2eA

Stephens Green Station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B25XCQ9i0x4

Christchurch Station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCy8ekqUC-I

Inchicore Station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0hnXmSdms

Heuston Station
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD58BF6oHm8

DART Underground: A New Travel Experience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hMdzKhPGE

RPA Metro 3D animations

Metro North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgwYT_4Pr9k

Metro West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prJe0l7M64
Morlan

Postby PVC King » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prJe0l7 ... re=related

We now know where those printing plates from the French Central Bank went when they disapeared from Charles De Gaulle's freight hall under suspicious circumstances.
PVC King

Postby cagey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:32 am

“ … to be user freindly... “
“…should the dominence of buses and cars  …”
“DU will be grade seperated and have 4 directions into two routes i.e. 1:1  “
“.. 150m down an escalator..... (Pearse interchange)“
“ Stephens Green is the centre of the City; distances may for the pruposes of … “ 
“I think you will find electrificiation to Maynooth … “
“The N17 of Sawdoctor fame was actually Kilburn High Road … “
“ … when they disapeared from Charles … “

and now for the punchline
“Some of us graduated from Kilburn … “
cagey

Postby PVC King » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:23 am

Bovered?

Stay on top; the design of Pearse underground is a level of perfection you will never reach.
PVC King

Postby missarchi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 am

A note of caution was sounded by Tim Brick, executive director of the Irish Academy of Engineering. He warned that public consultation by way of An Bord Pleanála and environmental assessments had failed to win public support in a wide range of projects from the Shell to Sea campaign to the Dublin Port Tunnel.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/inn ... 55107.html

If architecture doesn't uplift our spirits has it failed?
missarchi
Old Master

Postby PVC King » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:31 am

“It is a natural corridor,” he points out.

Nope its a €3bn hole in the ground the IMF won't sanction.

The Green Way was originally conceived in response to the 2009 report of the Government’s High-Level Action Group on Green Enterprise which stated that Ireland needed to “develop one or more green zones in order to create an environment that can support the development of green enterprise and be used to market Ireland overseas”.

Give Martin Naughton some cash and he will give you green jobs in Dunleer, so the locals don't need to commute to Dublin; ABP recognised this when they prevented MN from even considering park n ride north of Swords. But for the fantasists this was disaster, almost 40% of projected peak ridership was conditioned out of the equation.

“We wish to create an internationally recognised green economic zone and position Ireland as a leader in the world’s most exciting and rapidly growing sector,” says Tony Boyle, chairman of the Steering Committee for An tSlí Ghlas. “The potential of this project, which builds on our existing assets and infrastructure, is that it can assist in the transformation of our economy.”

Problem solved; build it in Park West its already got a rail line....
PVC King

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland