Dublin??

Dublin??

Postby dooner » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 am

This is one of my fathers photos I have no idea who the man is I hope it is my paternal grand father. John F Murphy

Would anybody recognise the buildings behind him?
Do you think they are in Dublin?
Any help would be appreciated
dooner

Re: Dublin??

Postby gunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:02 pm

dooner, there is a terrace like that with the same gawdawful joined up dormer windows on the South Circular Road nearly opposite the old Player-Wills factory, might be worth checking it out.

Did people really go out in public in those trousers?
gunter
Old Master

Postby dooner » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 am

Thanks for your reply
I sadly don’t live in Dublin but I will see if I can get someone to check it out
As for the trousers well my grandfather was listed on his death cert as a chauffer so I thought it might be his uniform (he died 1929 in Naas) so I’m not even sure this is Dublin( or it could be some one who played golf)
Quick question why do you say that the windows are gawdawful?
dooner

Postby gunter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 am

If they're the houses I'm thinking of, I can get you a picture in the next few days . . . and you can make up your own mind about the dormer storey.
gunter
Old Master

Postby Paul Clerkin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 am

that must be where I know them from - been racking my brains since i saw the photo
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby batten » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:24 pm

try Google Streelive, or whatever it's called - 259 South Circular Road or thereabouts.
batten

Postby kefu » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Is this it?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 57,,0,1.72
And then the house he is actually outside must be one of these:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 31,,0,2.28
kefu

Postby wearnicehats » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:23 pm

i think you're spot on - the google streetview is 292 south circular road. Presumably the dodgy higher building to the left is the gap site. Looking directly opposite via streetview you'll see the house the dude in the enormouse trousers is standin in front of. Check out the step down from the pavement and the fence design between gates. .

i have both images with the buildings marked but I don't seem to be able to post them in this new format - can I no longer post images from my c-drive? help!

if it's any help the placemark in google has latitude 53°19'56.01"N and longitude 6°17'11.80"W
wearnicehats

Postby gunter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 pm

ImageImage

I took a pic from about the same spot earlier this evening. Nothing much has changed except for the appearance of an apartment block on the vacant site to the left opposite, as observed by hats.

That would make the middle house below [I think it's no. 297] the house in question.

gunter
Old Master

Postby cravings » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 am

what a result!

brilliant thread. Gunter, you're taller than whoever took the first photo.

well maybe they had an old school camera on a stand..
cravings

Postby dooner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

I can’t thank you all enough for going to the trouble and actually going down to take and post the photos is wonderful thank you so much
What did the people think of you taking photos in their garden?
Now I have to see if I can find out who he is.
dooner

Postby wearnicehats » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:52 pm

nothing like a dodgy dormer to get some people (gunter) motivated

check out the public forums on www.dublin.ie - I think there's a dublin 8 forum. You know his name, occupation, now the likely address. There's people on there that might know more

I still can't post from c drive - for the love of god someone advise
wearnicehats

Postby gunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:00 pm

get a heavy stick and hit it really hard.
gunter
Old Master

Postby wearnicehats » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm

oh yeah.

thanks
wearnicehats

Postby Paul Clerkin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:37 pm

If you look up that address in the census returns, you might get lucky if that was his home.
Paul Clerkin
Old Master

Postby gunter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:35 pm

If you're checking the census, I think the house you're after is no. 298, not 297 as I suggested earlier.

Even numbers on this side of street.

wearnicehats wrote:oh yeah. thanks

No probs, I didn't really think that would work, to be honest
gunter
Old Master

Postby GrahamH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Ah Archiseek at its best.

So getting back to the kernel of matters, those dormers, is that a brick finish to the 'riser' of the roof that was later rendered and/or painted on some houses? In which case, why make a horror into an abomination?

Indeed, as we often harp on about the incremental debasement of streetscape, it is remarkable to observe the extent to which owners and occupiers have actively devalued their properties over time through measures intended to make them more desirable. To put back what has been lost here, disregarding the minor travesty of sticky-on cement pediments - namely timber sash windows, sliced out railings, de-concreted gardens, correct bin storage, discreet utility meter boxes, and coordinated paint colours - the street would rocket in value.
GrahamH
Old Master

Postby KerryBog2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 pm

I agree Graham, but it is impossible to get people to concur on anything in a terrace. Inevitably at least one house will want nothing done, and others will expect their houses painted gratis.

Photo looks 1920-ish. FWIW, chauffeurs usually wore jodhpurs with boots, not plus fours. Also, were the guy in the photo a chauffeur, is it not likely that for a photo he would wear his full suit? Methinks it is more casual, probably a sporting photograph. The ‘fours’ refer to inches of overlap, which allowed the water to drip outside the Wellington boot, and were made popular by the Prince of W from his shooting days. Anybody who has walked through a field of wet kale will know....
Census - not sure that it would be quite as easy to locate the family by house number – the 1911 &1901 are best checked by using the family name, as number sequences could have changed. There are several Census locations for Circular Road, South as it runs through several DED areas.

One is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ortobello/
another is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... er_s_Quay/
and http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h__Rialto/
Rs,
Kb.
KerryBog2

Postby dooner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:16 pm

KerryBog2 wrote:I agree Graham, but it is impossible to get people to concur on anything in a terrace. Inevitably at least one house will want nothing done, and others will expect their houses painted gratis.

Photo looks 1920-ish. FWIW, chauffeurs usually wore jodhpurs with boots, not plus fours. Also, were the guy in the photo a chauffeur, is it not likely that for a photo he would wear his full suit? Methinks it is more casual, probably a sporting photograph. The ‘fours’ refer to inches of overlap, which allowed the water to drip outside the Wellington boot, and were made popular by the Prince of W from his shooting days. Anybody who has walked through a field of wet kale will know....
Census - not sure that it would be quite as easy to locate the family by house number – the 1911 &1901 are best checked by using the family name, as number sequences could have changed. There are several Census locations for Circular Road, South as it runs through several DED areas.

One is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ortobello/
another is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... er_s_Quay/
and http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h__Rialto/
Rs,
Kb.

Thank you, for the information I have to check with some family members also its possibly well after the census they could have moved in after that period also the surname I’m looking for is Murphy so I have got my work cut out
dooner

Return to Ireland