Atmosphere in Interior architecture: the sensory perception of space

World architecture... what's happening generally....

Atmosphere in Interior architecture: the sensory perception of space

Postby Uglydwarf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,
I am a student in the 4th year (1st master) of interior architecture in Antwerp, Belgium.
I have to write a thesis this year, and as you can guess, my topic is "Atmosphere in Interior Architecture: the sensory perception of space"

I've been busy with environmental psychology since the 2nd year, so at first i wanted to focus on that bit but I got more and more interested in how we,
as interior architects create an atmosphere, what do we use, what senses do we try to influence?

Of course it's quite a difficult subject because of the non-objective part (mainly our own background, culture,...) of it,
but trying to define atmosphere, sensory perception, the elements of atmosphere, the elements of perception,
could be useful for interior architects to know what and how they can influence an atmosphere.

Too much buildings at this moment are purely made for the visual impression of it, there's no connection, they have the 'wow'effect,
but thats about it, thats why i would like to add the extra dimension of atmosphere!

Atm i'm reading The eyes of the skin by Juhani Pallasmaa, and thinking architecture and atmospheres by Peter Zumthor

Is there anyone with some tips for architects with good definitions on atmosphere or perception,
maybe good works i should take a look at, books, ideas, websites, links to other fora,
And ofcourse you can discuss atmosphere in this topic, it might be useful to have an idea what you think of it. :confused:

Sincerely Yours,
Ward D.
Uglydwarf

Re: Atmosphere in Interior architecture: the sensory perception of space

Postby spoil_sport » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Sorry to go off topic already, but this has been bugging me for a while. What's the difference between an "interior architect" and an "interior designer"?
spoil_sport

Re: Atmosphere in Interior architecture: the sensory perception of space

Postby Uglydwarf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Well that's a question we've been trying to answer in the past 4 years in our class.
It's a difficult one and a lot of people are thinking on that, there are a lot of conferences and discussions on that subject but no answers...
One of our teachers is doing a Phd on that, to find out 'what is interior architecture' are we really that different from design,
but the problem is interior arch lacks a body of knowledge, where does it start and where does it end?

I myself study 'interior architecture' it's an academic 4 year study, 3 bach and 1 master,
interior design is a professional bachelor 3 years and then there's also
interior decoration which is choosing curtains and paint :D.

They always say interior architects have a 'broader' base knowledge, like philosophy, sociology, more mathematics, physics....
Our approach is a little different (at least thats what they say)
Interior designers dont have these courses but focus on designing.
But in my eyes the level of these 'extra' courses is so low that there's no difference at all...
In my opinion they can put interior architecture and interior design together under one name and rather interior design or 'interiorists' than interior architecture.

In the end what is the 'architecture part' we do :confused:... we can't break out walls without permission of an architect, we don't have enough knowledge of construction....
In belgium the title interior architect isn't even protected because the guild of architects is holding it back.

But one thing is for sure, architects will have to give up a part of their job to the 'interiorists', there is to much for architects to grasp alone.
They can't do AND the city planning AND the building form and design AND the interior AND all the paperwork AND the calculations...
So working together would be a nice thing :) but that seems rather difficult for some architects.

So to answer your question from my point of view.. there is no diffrence

Ok back on topic: any tips? :rolleyes:
Uglydwarf

Return to World Architecture