Phoenix Park statues

Phoenix Park statues

Postby Devin » Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 pm

PVC King wrote:You should have been a revisionist historian!!!
Well, my motives here are urban design

And on that subject, something needs be put back in place of the Gough monument to break up the long town half of the Phoenix Park avenue. That roundabout where it was is bare ........ needs something more than the annual fucking christmas tree.

OPW, please note.

Image
Devin
Old Master
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:27 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Pedestrianise College Green for 2016

Postby PVC King » Tue May 04, 2010 1:05 pm

The Michelan Man in 1930's style would be my nomination!!
PVC King
 

Re: Pedestrianise College Green for 2016

Postby Paul Clerkin » Tue May 04, 2010 2:09 pm

or the Gormely design for the liffey - his work doesnt have any site specific relevancy, so if they want to go ahead....
User avatar
Paul Clerkin
Old Master
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 1999 1:00 am
Location: Monaghan

Re: Pedestrianise College Green for 2016

Postby Devin » Tue May 04, 2010 4:44 pm

PVC King wrote:The Michelan Man in 1930's style would be my nomination!!
I'm trying to put those two things together - Michelin Man and 1930s style .......... trying! ....
Devin
Old Master
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:27 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Phoenix Park statues

Postby PVC King » Tue May 04, 2010 4:46 pm

I'll take you to the building next time I see you
PVC King
 

Re: Phoenix Park statues

Postby lauder » Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 pm

The Gough statue is intact and in some relatives garden in England! Sure the council could buy it off him.

However, I really like the idea of Gormley's statue here, would be a fabulous location.
lauder
Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: Phoenix Park statues

Postby saintleger » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 pm

lauder wrote:The Gough statue is intact and in some relatives garden in England! Sure the council could buy it off him.


Or just re-cast it again.
http://www.john-byrne.ie/project.php?projectsId=7
"The Gough statue had been erected in 1880 as a memorial to Limerick- born Viscount Field Marshall Gough and eventually destroyed in an explosion in 1957. It's remains came into the possession of it's current owner Sir Humphrey Wakefield (a relative of Gough's) in the 1980's and was subsequently restored and re-erected in the grounds of his Castle at Chillingham in 1990. Sir Humphrey kindly gave me permission to make a copy the sculpture (which is 150% life size) A team from Bronze Age foundry in the east end of London travelled up to Northumberland and over a week, of long working days, made moulds of the horse. "

There's an interesting article by David Limond in History Ireland (March/April) on the topic of toppling statues which mentions this re-working. I believe it's erected in Ballymun now, is it in the Social Welfare Office? Apols if this is old news.
saintleger
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: Phoenix Park statues

Postby johnglas » Tue May 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Never mind Gough; what about the Ballymun equestrian statue? Public art that's well crafted, representational (in many senses), has some sense of 'place' and is definitely not pompous. More like that, please.
johnglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:43 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Phoenix Park statues

Postby tommyt » Tue May 11, 2010 6:56 pm

saintleger wrote:Or just re-cast it again.
http://www.john-byrne.ie/project.php?projectsId=7
"The Gough statue had been erected in 1880 as a memorial to Limerick- born Viscount Field Marshall Gough and eventually destroyed in an explosion in 1957. It's remains came into the possession of it's current owner Sir Humphrey Wakefield (a relative of Gough's) in the 1980's and was subsequently restored and re-erected in the grounds of his Castle at Chillingham in 1990. Sir Humphrey kindly gave me permission to make a copy the sculpture (which is 150% life size) A team from Bronze Age foundry in the east end of London travelled up to Northumberland and over a week, of long working days, made moulds of the horse. "

There's an interesting article by David Limond in History Ireland (March/April) on the topic of toppling statues which mentions this re-working. I believe it's erected in Ballymun now, is it in the Social Welfare Office? Apols if this is old news.


Great idea.

Could start a trend. How about a giant bronze of a Sherrifo 'young felit' in a wetsuit diving into the Liffey off North Wall Quay to replace the abandoned Gormley 'man havin' a slash' debacle?
tommyt
Member
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: D5

Re: Phoenix Park statues

Postby PVC King » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Looking at the Anish Kapoor exhibition in Ken gardens it is amazing the Phoenix Park doesn't show case some Irish Art; the back drop of the Aras would give almost as good a background as Ken Palace


http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2010/sep/27/anish-kapoor-kensington-gardens-sculpture

Turning the World Upside Down by Anish Kapoor
Four Anish Kapoor sculptures, creating distortions of their surroundings, have taken up residence among the trees and waters of Kensington Gardens for six months
PVC King
 


Return to Ireland



cron