Tallaght old photos

Tallaght old photos

Postby expproject » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:21 am

Hey, Im a landscape architecture student studying in UCD, im very interested in finding photos of Tallaght dating back to the 1970s mainly in order to identify the changes that took place there when the vast housing estates were built, im a resident here and would appreciate it :) if anyone could offer any advice/leads in order to obtain any information, images relating to this district. Tallaght has changed so much since the 1990s, I remember the fields that surrounded the square before all of the apartments were built and seeing some horses in them :D:D,

Bryan

Email: bparsons89@gmail.com
expproject

Re: Tallaght old photos

Postby dc3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Two or three sources that might help.

There was, or still is, a local paper called if I recall correctly, the "Tallaght People" which may have some images to assist you. It probably was not there in the early years, arriving in the 1980's I would guess and covering local events.

There are aerial photos of Tallaght, going back to the time of the RFC airfield and some shots of it in UK archives.

The Dominican Church has long been a presence in Tallaght, and they might be able to assist you.

However, as most of the area was built on pure greenfield land, with the occasional farmhouse set in relatively large fields, not too much except for the village, which was really, really tiny until 1970 or so, is likely to have been photographed.
dc3

Re: Tallaght old photos

Postby expproject » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Thank you very much for this information, I will follow it up, much appreciated :):)
expproject

Return to Ireland