Exempted Development and Area of Special Amenity

Exempted Development and Area of Special Amenity

Postby allesnikj » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 pm

New to the forums and planning on extending an existing house in Co. Wicklow. Intend to stick to all the relevant requirements...

The property in question lies within an Area of Special Amenity on Wicklow CC's Landscape Characterisation Map.

A Special Amenity Area Order does not apply (as far as I can tell there are only three such areas in Wicklow county: Bray Head, Little Sugar Loaf and Great Sugarloaf). Is exempted development still exempt in this case?
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Exempted Development and Area of Special Amenity

Postby Bren88 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:02 am

I'm not familar with Wicklows cevelopment plan, but I imagine is that you'd find an answer in there pretty quick.

I imagine that exemption development still applies in the ASA, but I literal have no experience with them so please don't take my word to mean anything
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:47 am

Re: Exempted Development and Area of Special Amenity

Postby onq » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm

+1 Bren88's comments.

I would add that once you are aware of tj existence of and Area of Special Amenity you would beunwise to assume that you can extend using the exempted development provisions.

In such a landscape, there may also be other restrictions, such as protected views and there is also the possibility of restrictive conditions in the original permission or restrictive covenants in any purchase contract.

Narrowing the focus and centering on the "Area of Special Amenity", you may be overlooking other restrictions which could equally mean than an extension undertaken without permission is unauthorised.

Here are some random and unchecked links which may better inform you:






The difficulty with living in a scenic area is that your wishes to develop your property may be restricted.

One resolution would be to seek a Section 5 Declaration costing €80 and taking 4 weeks or so.

This may help avoid any error arising from some local authority planning officer making an off-the-cuff comment over the phone which may prove invalid.

You may be asked to produce drawings showing the proposed development - if so, consider appointing a competent architect to prepare drawings based on your instruction.

If a permission is required, you would be well advised to ask an archtiect to design what you really want to add on or transform the dwelling - done well, it will improve amenity short term and increase eventual sale value.

User avatar
Old Master
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:29 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Return to Irish Planning Matters